Don’t open that trapdoor!

tincatim

Site Supporter
I ventured down into my cellar today for a long overdue clear out. It’s become a dumping ground for the whole family over the last few years and needed a good sort.

I’m amongst the other rubbish was a fair bit of old fishing tackle. Some of which bought back fond memories of my early angling days. I’ll be getting rid of most of it, some will go on eBay, some will go to the tip and some I’ll keep.

Anyway, I thought I’d share a few photos of tackle from years gone by.

My original Shakespeare box from the early 90’s, it’s well battered now.
3B9109EE-DFE5-4C0B-BFB7-41FE875A8376.jpeg

Some interesting floats here.
3C83EF7D-FB1F-4101-919A-D8710C938003.jpeg

A0AA216B-3776-4209-8EFB-C28085593C1F.jpeg

E0D41109-C40C-4D65-9EB8-2112CDD376A7.jpeg

I’m keeping the dead cows and feeders, but have no need for the other bits.
Anyone remember these feeders?
683841F6-0EB9-4EDD-9961-062634E32DE5.jpeg

I also found some reels that I’d forgotten about:
Shimano AeroGTE 8000B bait-runner
Okuma 5000 dyna drag bait-runner
Abu 507 Gold Max MK2
Daiwa 123m closed faced
Browning 712
54B857CF-64FE-483D-8F9F-FACF0EA9EB4C.jpeg

D88852D8-E747-443E-AB38-E0589A9B45C5.jpeg

C3CCFFD9-9F59-48DD-8BEF-C38E681E4A76.jpeg

As well as a couple of carp rods
Fox rangemaster 2 12ft 3lb tc
Shimano Hyperloop Specimen 12ft 2.5lb tc

And a Fox Supa Recliner chair, massive unhooking mat and a Fox rod pod.

It’s amazing what gets collected over the years. Does any of this gear bring back memories for you?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The polyeags I do. I remember fishing with my late uncle Trev on Worsborough reservoir using those at distance catching skimmers. Some good floats there pal. 👍

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had the exact same seatbox, with the Octplus leg kit - it was like a tardis

tincatim

Site Supporter
The polyeags I do. I remember fishing with my late uncle Trev on Worsborough reservoir using those at distance catching skimmers. Some good floats there pal. 👍
There’s a few of the polywags, and some Drennan swingers. I’m tempted to keep some and have a bash at the old skool distance waggler tactics on a big natural venue.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I had the exact same seatbox, with the Octplus leg kit - it was like a tardis
You can get so much in them, they were the best thing going back in the day. Before the rise of the conti box 🤣

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I found a daiwa close faced reel over the winter too. Brought back many a memory. Added to the kids club bots and still works. Couldn't believe the fine line on it though. 2lb main line? No wonder we lost loads!!!

Total

Site Supporter
@tincatim ......Feeders....Daiwa Harrier feeder, on the left......Emstat method feeder (As Peter says below.(y)) on the right. (y)

feeders.jpeg

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I found a daiwa close faced reel over the winter too. Brought back many a memory. Added to the kids club bots and still works. Couldn't believe the fine line on it though. 2lb main line? No wonder we lost loads!!!

Yep. A lot of us used to stick float using 1.7lb Bayer Perlon back in the day. Saying that, it was probably about 0.25 🤣🤣

tincatim

Site Supporter
Some of the pole rigs I found were 2lb mainline to 12oz bottom and a 24 hook. Perfect for small shy biting crucians and roach, useless for a 3lb tench 😂

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
The feeders are a Daiwa Harrier feeder and an original Emstat Frame Feeder

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Just to be different, I always thought the `shakey` box was too big. The smaller `beta` box was still roomy but much kinder on
your back.

BoldBear

That Shimano looks fine and certainly doesn’t look dated.

Here’s a few of my old and dated reels that I still keep in the back of a drawer; I still use the Abu Cardinal 55 for surface fishing for Carp and the Abu 506 very occasionally when trotting in a wind, and my old BlackCat centrepin for catching Tench close in using the lift method; but the rest of my old reels just sit motionless in the back of a drawer.

My-Oold-Reels-1-zps4ffb3e7e.gif

Your old Shakespeare box is great for sea fishing on the beach too.

Keith

Last edited:

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
There is a bomb in your box that I remember well.
Has loads of grooves on it so you could grip and unscrew from the female part that had a built in swivel.
This was so you could change bomb size during the session.
I remember well as in my youth I lost all mine on the River Ant at Howe Hill during a Scout camp.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Has loads of grooves on it so you could grip and unscrew from the female part that had a built in swivel.
I remember well as in my youth I lost all mine on the River Ant at Howe Hill during a Scout camp.
I noticed it too, little bit bulky for their weight I think they were one of many ideas when lead was the great Satan. Didn`t catch on.
good idea though.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Just to be different, I always thought the `shakey` box was too big. The smaller `beta` box was still roomy but much kinder on
your back.
Beta box loved by sea anglers, they put on a Breakaway conversation kit that turned box into a backpack and acted as a back rest.
Inside went an accessory kit that holds multipliers and leads.

I sold a full sized box with leg kit, top box, strap, cushion, two side trays and a feeder arm for £15 not long back.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I didn’t spot that, I’ll have a look tomorrow. A lot of this stuff was passed down to me from my father in law.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I didn’t spot that, I’ll have a look tomorrow. A lot of this stuff was passed down to me from my father in law.
I had the same including a shakey box, chucked out all the now illegal nets plus a few seized up beyond repair reels, took eyes off some beyond repair rods to use for plants in garden and spent ages sorting rest into sellable lots.
Ebayed alot of it at sensible buy it now with postage prices and gumtree for bigger items.
Did keep a few rods/reels and keepsakes.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Made of an alloy instead of lead.
Hi Rudd, me and the missis had a picnic at Howe Hill in the summer and I couldn`t resist a walk along the river, surprised to see many
of the swims overgrown. Shame, nice bit of productive river hereabouts.