Domestic diplomacy........

Philocalist

What would you do........?
Good friends gave us a painting as a wedding present last year - an original oil painting around 4' x 3', done by the husband who is actually quite a talented guy.
The problem is - it's bloody awful, absolutely NOT the sort of thing we would ever buy. It would not look out of place in a decent art gallery - but you'd be forgiven for thinking that it was the product of a disturbed mind.
VERY hard to describe (and I cant exactly put a copy of it up here, on the grounds that it would definitely incriminate me) Try to imagine a picture of a room interior, looking outside, where the people (none of whom can be remotely linked to anyone we recognise) are all placed at various bizarre angles, and resemble geometric Amish farmers from the mind of Edvard Munch, as though he intended using them for inspiration for 'The Scream'.
Upside? It's very, very competent. Downside? Downright ugly, disturbing, bad colour pallette, way too big to fit comfortably in any room of a size that would reasonably be found in a modern house. Even if we actually wanted to give it wall space, there is literally no place anywhere in the house where it would go without being seriously out of place - not even a spare room, or the inside of the loft hatch cover :D

Problem is - what do we do, as the gift was well-intentioned and took a great deal of effort to produce? NOT doing something 'decorative' with it will cause a major domestic, and we value their friendship, declining it isnt an option. I've considered staging a burglary - but no self-respecting thief would take it :D - what would YOU do? Any serious answers out there?

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
Just hang it where it’ll be seen, after a while you’ll be so used to it you won’t even see it. Don’t ever invite anyone into your home again or you’ll be forced to explain it, over and over again!

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Inform them the friendship is over as they are not true friends if they palm off s**t as a gift.
Also inform them that all is not lost and bridges can be built ,starting by them gifting a toaster

Whisker

Proud Maggotdrowner
Site Supporter
Make good practical use of it. I’m sure it’d make a great ironing board but be careful not to leave the iron on it too long… 😉

booboo

Site Supporter
Thought long and hard about this and your only option is to call time on the friendship, make sure the house insurance is in order and torch the place, or maybe less drastic to have it 'stolen' from your car if you can come up with a pretext for it being in the car. Good luck

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Gift it to a local charity to raise funds and if ever asked about it you have a valid reason - try as you may it didn't fit in with your decor so rather than put it in the loft you felt it would be more beneficial to <charity name>.
You could always ask the charity for a certificate or something to show how much they benefitted from it, however I'd be more inclined to make a figure up just in case you are asked ;)

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Put your foot through and blame cat/dog for running into it on the floor while you were getting drill to put hangers in the wall.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
We had the same, it went up in the spare bedroom. They visited, stayed in said room and all was good. Years later the room was redecorated and the painting sadly didn't match the decor. When I got divorced it went into the pile of the ex's stuff....although this option is a bit extreme.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Stage an “accident” where something heavy and/or sharp edged falls onto the middle of the canvas and “sadly” totals it

The only risk with this ploy is that the friend will paint another as a replacement gift :eek:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It slipped while you were hanging it and got damaged.

2ts

Site Supporter
Buy them a hideous massive Rococo piece of furniture,and have it delivered to their house with your compliments,then negotiate a cease fire.:cool:

Bulldog

Site Supporter
Stage an “accident” where something heavy and/or sharp edged falls onto the middle of the canvas and “sadly” totals it

The only risk with this ploy is that the friend will paint another as a replacement gift :eek:
Or apply to go on The Repair Shop