Dol Y Gaer/Ponsticcle festival.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Saturday
Held over the weekend of the 15th-16th of August, the first festival on these two very scenic reservoirs near Merthyr Tydfil.
Some big names in the angling world were fishing, Des Schipp, Hadrian Whittle, Lee Edwards, Jon Harvey and Rory Jones, plenty of Welsh lads along with plenty of lads from England to total 51 anglers.
Talk was to draw Dol Y Gaer on the saturday so Pontsticcle gets a load of food in it ready for the sunday match.
At the draw l pulled out 31 Dol Y Gaer, well happy. Set up 2 tip rods at 21m and 30m both with 30g cage feeders.
Put 8 feeder fulls on the 30m line and started on the 21m line, minute casts for the first 20 minutes or so and got into fish first chuck but..... micro perch. Made my mind up to cut out all dead maggot and chop worm feed and just fish groundbait, Sonubaits 50:50 method mix and Thatchers with a few micros and corn. Corn on the hook. Started getting skimmers and bream and stayed on that line catching steadily all match, alternating between corn, nipped worm, 3 dead reds. My weight was 51lb 8oz,good enough for second on our section and second in the match on both reservoirs.

Saturday evening and a big thanks to Merthyr Tydfil Angling Aliance, our hosts, arranged a free BBQ and beers up at the adventure training centre where we were staying. No expense was spared. Thank you.

Sunday
Please please please get in the twenties.......... Peg11......... gutted. 5lb came off it the day before so wasn't very happy and when l chatted to Lee Edwards l knew that my chances of building my weight up had gone. It was rock hard.
A deep section and quite snaggy in places. One line at 27m and another at 45m both on 45g window feeders to get the grub down. Anyway, it was pants and l chucked long most of the match and struggled for 7lb 7oz, might have broke double figures if l'd used dead reds on the hook but l want the bigger skimmers and it didn't happen. Oh well, at least it didn't rain.
Excellent festival in beautiful surroundings, l'll be there next year👍
Well done to Des Schipp for winning the festival👍
Screenshot_20200817_230200_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200817_230153_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200817_230133_com.android.chrome.jpg

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Was it feeder only as you can build a nice net on the Whip as back up.
No mate it was any method. I had a chat with some of the locals and they basically said you will catch on pole/whip/waggler but wont beat the tip if you want a weight. So bearing that in mind l took 4 rods and sod all else😕

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I finished in the top 10 although it says l was 11th but lad above l'm fairly sure only had 58lb 5oz to my 58lb 12oz. Well happy👍

bezzer

Site Supporter
How spooky!!

I'm sat working from home and watching Clive Branson's vlog from the Festival.

Well done Godber, cracking effort.

CB.jpg

ae111sr

Site Supporter
Does Tony Birt know any words that aren't swear words? :rolleyes:

Well done Godber - only ever been in that neck of the woods hillwalking
I fished with Tony Birt 30+ years ago when we were both members of South Wales Switchgear Angling Club. He was the same then so obviously hasn't changed much :rolleyes: