Doing something I haven't done for years...

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I caught a bus!

No, it's true. I had to get to some godforsaken hole in London and the only practical option to get there was a tube and a bus. I have now rubbed shoulders with 'the people' (cant think of a more polite description) ... and lived.

I think that last time I caught a conventional bus service was 1993. I may have to go and have a lie down now.

So, when was the last time you caught a scheduled bus service with a Great British public?

(Coach trips and airport transfers don't count).

Total

Site Supporter
Glad you survived the experience and lived to tell the tale. :giggle:...Enjoy your lie down. ;)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Gotta admit i aint been on a bus for ages then about 8 year ago we went to Malta and was told the best way to see the island was by bus, we paid for a very reasonable 4 day pass and way we went and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
After a brisk 2 mile walk to the club to play darts and sink a few, I will be getting a bus home, as I do most Mondays, got the bus home from the pub Friday as well. Use it pretty regularly, can't stand driving round here.

Dusty

Think I’d rather never leave my house than catch public transport on the regular.

Stephen

Yorkshire is best
Site Supporter
I catch a bus every morning. The bus is always full of regulars so been in friendly Yorkshire there are always a few Hello's or good mornings said.?

The daily train home is a different matter?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Me and our Gert took a open top bus tour Round Havana, Revolution square and a few other interesting sights but nowt better than seeing the Hundreds of old American gas Guzzlers (y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I dont know mick but a lot on em have a sh*thouse at the Front ;)
I can't remember the last time I've been on a bus pal. I was probably 16 / 17. Definitely before Id passed my car or bike test I know that. It was 2p for us kids and 7p for adults to travel the seven miles into Barnsley from where we lived.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Half a pinkie on a size 4/0, 0.08mm bottom and solid 22 elastic - balanced tackle and all that.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
When I used to keep a car and tackle in Ireland I would jump on an easy jet flight from Liverpool to Belfast then get a bus to Enniskillen where my mate who looked after the car would pick me up.
I always found it an enjoyable trip and all up it cost about a third of the charge for for taking the car on the ferry and the bus fare was not much more than the fuel cost for the car about 90 miles each way and quicker too as the flight is only 30 minutes.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Once a month city link bus from Portree to Glasgow or Inverness and then catch the sleeper. As now resident in Scotland and over 60 bus costs nothing( and for purposes of free travel Berwick and Carlisle count as Scotland. Sure the residents will be pleased....)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Prior to moving from London used to use the Bus, Tube and Train regularly. Easiest way to get around London, no grief parking and cheap as chips.
The 60+ London Oyster photocard scheme entitles Londoners aged 60 and over to free travel on all TfL services and some national rail services 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from their sixtieth birthday. It also allows holders free travel outside of morning peak hours on other national rail services in the capital. all for the cost of a £20 admin fee. ;)

davylad

Site Supporter
Ken I remember one of our annual trips to Enniskillen. It was when I involved in RL and we got to Wembley that year, and it clashed with the trip. I obviously wasn't going to miss Wembley of course, so decided to go on the Monday which was a bank holiday. I got a flight to Dublin, then the bus to Enniskillen, but I had to wait 5 hours in Dublin, and had quite a few pints of the black stuff. I eventually got on the bus, and to say it was slow is an understatement, it took 5 hours. It waited for about 10 minutes at every village stop, and I was absolutely pissing myself after about 4 hours. We got to cavan, and I noticed a gents toilet a few yards away, so rushed to ask the driver if he minded me getting off to relieve myself. It was then he told me, nearly all the stops had toilet facilities nearby for the travellers. Dough!!!!!

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
About once a month on Saturdays I catch the bus to Lichfield for a meet up with friends who I've known since school days for a meeting in the pub.
As WO said the bus service in Malta is very good.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Haven’t been on a normal bus since school days.
Have caught the park n ride into town occasionally near Xmas but that’s about it. Park n ride are mini buses around here, handy at £1:50 return as parking is much more.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The last time I caught a bus in to town was one evening when my wife and I were going for a drink with some friends.
If remember correctly, we had to walk to the bus stop, wait around for ten minutes or so, take a laborious ride into town, get off and walk another ten minutes or so, and the cost was something in the region of £7.60 (£3.80 each)

We caught a taxi home which cost a pound more, door to door.

Taxi = A no brainer really

Chervil

Site Supporter
Hop on Hop off in New York over the summer. Before that a year ago in Gibraltar, where they have a very efficient bus service, which is free to all residents. However, even though it is only something like 2.6 square miles, everyone seems to want to drive everywhere. Whilst waiting for our bus we saw a young couple use the bus to basically cross the road. We watched them get on, the bus went along the road around a round about and stopped opposite, where they got off, even though there was a foot bridge.