Dogs and B1tches

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
My parents have had a succession of dogs since I was a nipper. In fact I've had so many pets you wouldnt believe (Dad owned a pet shop once)

Whippets, Rotties, Labs, short and rough haired Jack Russles...top dogs the lot of them, apart from one of the JRs....evil. They have all been female

Well, her indoors is making noises about a dog. We dont have the right environment for one at the moment, we both work.

BUT, if things were to change, why might we consider a dog over a bitch?
Would I be right in saying that with dogs, it's the opposite of humans, and it's the male of the species that is unpredictable, aggressive and a right pain in the arse to keep?

I understand you can't generalise and tar the whole of the gender with the same brush, but as there are 2 kids for the dog to 'play' with, I want to be VERY safe

Last edited:

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Jason,

We have a staffie, labrador cross. A thick, ignorant cross/breed if ever there was one, but not a bad bone in its body. He knows who the boss is, (Mags), but knows me as the alpha male, but it is the first male dog I have ever owned.

I bred Alsatians some years ago, only ever kept the bitches, always found them easier to train, (and I made money from the pups)

Never liked Jack Russells, snappy, ankle biting little sh!tes IMO, always preferred the larger dog, I like them bigger than cats, they are easier to kick. [:D]

viking lord

would also go for bitches,they seem less pig headed come trainin.could be down to breed aswell.bitches bit more even tempered round kids,been brought up round coursing and hunting and bitches think quicker so it seems.
german sheperd bitch at home very good near all kids,,where my kids go so does polly

Polepot

Poles
With the gender its the breed that makes the difference. We have 5 dog dogs and they are all very good family pets.

We have 3 English Setters and 2 Field Spaniels. If you have a Gun dog the a male is a good idea. Terriers I would always go for a bitch but they do tend to be one person dogs.

Pick your breed first - then the gender is easier to decide.

Poles

Isaak

alter Freund
Just got a little bitch. Chose bitch over dog because of bidable nature.
She can be willful but she is a gentle beautiful girl nd is going to be stunning.
Still a puppy so she has her moments.
I agree with Polepot, pick the breed and since you have chidren, pick carefully.
Hope you get a good one.

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
My dog is a 'rescued' German Shepherd male. He is 'entire' and you could not find a more loyal and eager to please animal. He is big (and I do mean big) and very powerful so I would never leave him unattended with kids HOWEVER, when one of the younger grandchildren are here, if they cry he comes and tells us, even though we are in the same room, he lies near them and wont go away 'guarding' them. He is brilliant with kids of all ages, and our eldest grandchild is severely disabled both mentally and physically following an almost murderous assault by his genetic father. "Sully" our dog worships him, and will follow any simple commands he utters with alacrity being better behaved for him than he is for us.

He has repaid our taking him in with friendship and trust and he is often times my fishing companion. The local kids all adore him and he adores them. All I am saying here is gender can make a difference but not as much as a dogs basic personality. To my mind the best indicator in choosing a pup is knowing the Sire and Dam, and seeing the pups and how they react. You want a confident outgoing dog but not one that is too cocky. I am lucky in that we were able to recognise a good dog in terrible circumstances and after some 'persausion' we left his old home with him safely in the car. Good luck with your choice if your circumstances change allowing you to become a dog carer. And may he or she be the friend that ours has become to us.

pelly

The Lincoln Imp!
Originally posted by Geoff P

Jason,

Never liked Jack Russells, snappy, ankle biting little sh!tes IMO,

Not true! [V]

I own a Jack Russell and he is a very friendly dog, very playful and so are the other Jack Russells I encounter in the fields when I take him for a walk.

Minipeace

Before you decide what breed do your research and be fussy when if when you are able to in buying a pup. Don't buy from puppy farms and if you go for a pedigree then the uk club or owners club is a good starting point.
When I looked for my pup I contacted breeders and clubs from the UK, Europe and USA before I found the one I was happy with.
Also consider cost before you go ahead, insurance, food and other general equipment the breed which you select requires.
Also think of the time you may have to put in like grooming, trimming and exercise.
For example my pup cost 1000
insurance 50 a month
food is around 100 a month
Equipment so far around 2000
New car
extension to house and garden work

Don't worry though most dogs don't cost this but think hard towards the breed.
Also don't go crazy on size like I did [:D] His father is owned by the UK's breed liaison officer who is well known throught the UK and Europe including the USA. She takes in dogs where people just can't handle them due to not really looking into the breed. At one time a shocking 7 out of 10 dogs were being returned. Very sad.

Hope you are at some time able to find the time for a dog. Wish you luck.

Last edited:

Polepot

Poles
Stuart,

What breed do you have? I am astounded at your costs of insurance. It doen not cost me that for 2 dogs!!!. Also as I have already said we have 5 dogs and it does not cost us that to feed all of them.

Poles

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Our female Boxer is soft and very good natured and obedient
The male on the other hand is a complete braindead nutter who I think was dropped on his head a birth and spends more time licking windows than looking out of them [:eek:)]

PS: Feed for the pair approx 80-90 /month, Insurance 54 per month
Repairs to the house, carpets, suite, etc - incalculable
[8D]

floatfisher

Site Supporter
We have two dogs, both males, a Golden Retreiver 14yrs old and a Staffordshire/Jackrussell cross 10 yrs old and they are both the softest gentlest dogs you could find.The budgie even chases them round the front room and occasionally hitches a ride on their backs believe it or not.Had them both from pups and never had a problem with either of their temperaments.Never looked into insurance costs but 100 a month to feed one dog seems extortionate?Ours have always had 'Omega' all in one food, and a large sack, which lasts them a month, costs 11.99p.A few pounds of markies and a couple of packets of treats takes the monthly cost to twenty quid for the pair of them.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
100 a month seems quite cheap really when you see the size of Minipeace's dog lol

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Is THIS yours by any chance, it fits your description quite well.[:D][;)]

Minipeace

Polepot

I've a Newfoundland [:D]
I feed him a BARF diet, thats raw food like salmon, tuna, chicken, rabbit, lamb, beef then I have the veg to add plus bones. Then there is his goodies on top. He eats better than us[:I] Some months its a little less others a bit more. Oh and natural yogurt too.
Due to him having a more working life style he has an increase in muscle and eats a little more too than a non working dog.
As for insurance I'm with petplan unlimited. Its very expensive but is the only insurance to have no limits what so ever. As Newfies suffer from many health problems I wanted cover that could give him if ever needed the best there is without worrying about costs.
Vet fees are high and just checking his ears on two trips cost 400. He hates the vets so to examine him they had to put him under on both trips but I still think the cost was high[:(!]then again vets know they get it due to your insurance[:(!]
The first year the vet fees was around 1000 for the above ear infection and some xrays and medication on his rear legs to check bone growth due to some limps. We did think it might be osteochondritis dissecans but it was not thankfully and at this stage I took him off dry food and started the barf diet which improved the situation. It even cleared up his waxy ears which at the time other Newfie owners put down to his diet and I thought it can't do but since the change his ears are great. Oh it 8.00 a month on ear cleaner.
I also clean most days, hoover, carpet clean with my new vax[:)]and steam clean. Steamer is great for killing bacteria without the use of chemicals due to high temperatures and raw food which Bruce loves to leave around the house needs to be cleaned.
Also there are several breeds which have an automatic increase to insurance and a Newfie is one. Yes there are cheap insurances out there but they don't cover the same as the petplan one.
Health problems, gastric dilation volvulus(bloat), entropion, dilated cardio-myopathy, sub-valvular aortic stenosis (20% of Newfies are effected), monorchidism (mine had this), cryptorchidism, hip & elbow dysplasia, thyroid disorders, eczema the list goes on.
Like I say they are not a breed for all. I remember one charity kids fishin that Bruce went to and a chap said he had a Newfie but has to get rid of him as he got to large which is a typical mistake many make. They simply don't look ahead or have the time to care for one.
The good side is Bruce is very protective towards us and anyone in the water. Its amazing how he joins the kids at our local park which has a stream and he walks with them in the water. Any threat that he thinks is a danger he will simply put his body between us and the threat and this is when you must be on guard and correct him if need be. Strength is umatched and I've seen a large boned yellow lab try it on with Bruce, he charged into Bruce and bounced off and Bruce just stood there. Then the lab growled at him and Bruce punched him (punching or pawing is a Newfie thing)and he rolled this lab. His feet are the size of my hands and are webbed to aid swimming. I've never seen anything like it before.
Here's a link showing Newfies at work http://www.thenewfoundlandclub.co.uk/gallery_water.php its the one pulling 11 people in the water I love[:D]
As you can see I am a Newfie mad man. You have to be mad to own one[:D]

Last edited:

viking lord

re minipeace,as kids my mates new foundland would swim in local canal with us,fat lad used to try pull us out.didnt get the hang of humans not actually drownin all the time,

Cedric

A mate of mine breeds Daschunds (Sausage Dogs to you & me).
I noticed he doesn't keep them in cages, lets them all run loose.
I asked how he could breed them selectively.
He said he keeps the bitches upstairs and the dogs downstairs.
How does that help, I asked.
Reply : "Have you ever seen a Sausage Dog tring to get upstairs with a hard on". [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.