Dog Deterrents

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
As a runner for over 40 years, I've been bitten, tripped, chased, had jackets and leggings torn by dogs. Most often all you hear from their thoughtless dog owners are comments like, "It's only a pup"!
When running downhill on rugged moorland paths it's vital to watch every footfall to avoid tripping. That's the worst time, when somebody's dog decides it's fun to run around my legs. Believe me it's no fun if you're training by running hard over a 30/40 minute course to achieve a best time, and towards the end, somebody's dog decides it wants a chase! And the owner's who say "Oh it's only playing: it won't bite!"
So has anyone personal experience of an effective dog deterrent, hopefully small and light enough to carry in pocket? Google shows lots available but little convincing evidence of effectiveness.
Any suggestion? I'm sure anglers in popular dog walking areas will have experienced the problem too. I don't: not now when I'm always out in a boat on the lough!

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
pepper spray is a very good deterrent

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Or as a few posties do, carry some Gravy Bones around with you

Everytime Winston sees a postie, he sits. All the ones that know him give him a gravy bone if he sits. Now everytime he sees the red & grey uniform he sites patiently :D

dezzatheblue

So the paths are only for you to run on? No they are there for all to use, if you want to do times runs go somewhere that people wont be walking dogs, as for the tazer/pepper spray comments, what stupid things to say, and I thought school kids were back in school.

Barbel seeker

I dont have a dog nor do I want one but having said that I wouln't want to harm them or any other animal come to that, but the blame belongs to the owner 100 percent to control the dog if in any public place thats how I see it.

Dusty

So the paths are only for you to run on? No they are there for all to use, if you want to do times runs go somewhere that people wont be walking dogs, as for the tazer/pepper spray comments, what stupid things to say, and I thought school kids were back in school.

Disagree.
The paths are to share but that doesn’t means people’s dogs should be allowed free reign to do what they want.

I went fishing on the Derwent last year and the amount of people walking by with dogs they couldn’t control was unbelievable, jumping over all your gear, head in your bait, dive bombing into your swim.

If you can’t control your dog then it needs to be put on a lead.

Having said that I wouldn’t personally use any product to deter them, mainly due to the fact you might receive a smack from the owner.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
fully agree, paths are for all and nothing wrong with with using pepper spray if a dog was biting me, so many dog owners have no clue how to handle a dog which is a shame as there are lots of responsible owners out there but the paths are not for dog walkers alone, they are for all to enjoy! see nothing wrong with protecting yourself from a dog that is biting you or ripping your clothes, same as if a dog trips you up and you get injured then you are fully entitled to sue the owners.

Again the minority will ruin it for the masses, one simple rule is all dogs should be leashed on a public footpath, that is pretty sensible idea IMHO, if the dog is not on a leash the dog is not under supervision.

everyone should be free to enjoy the public footpaths, alas some will choose to abuse that

dezzatheblue

Disagree.
The paths are to share but that doesn’t means people’s dogs should be allowed free reign to do what they want.

I went fishing on the Derwent last year and the amount of people walking by with dogs they couldn’t control was unbelievable, jumping over all your gear, head in your bait, dive bombing into your swim.

If you can’t control your dog then it needs to be put on a lead.

Having said that I wouldn’t personally use any product to deter them, mainly due to the fact you might receive a smack from the owner.
I agree 100% at no point did I say they can jump at people etc but they can be there,
And yes if anyone did anything to harm or upset my dogs they would know about it,
Having said that most people are good with it and have an understanding.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
therein lies the problem

bad owners, there is no such thing as a bad dog, a dog will only do what its pack leader will let it do, in this case the owner

two bobs worth is a patterdale terrier, possibly the hardest of dogs to instill rules in, yet we walk plenty of old railway tracks, seafront and woodland paths, with him unleashed,

theres untold other runners, walkers and can i stroke your doggers on these walks, yet before anything untoward happens, he will look to me before commiting himself to any action, if I nod or tell him go on then he will either come to heel or join in

doesnt take much to train a dog to be good in public, just a bit of commitment when they are pups

when I first got him at 8 months old, I was warned by the battersea staff that he was mean and a biter, yet it took less than a six month of patience to get him to come around

dont allus blame the dog, I see to many pups ruined by ineffective owners who should never of had the dogs in the first place

stating the above, I would never let him off the lead on a road that has any vehicular traffic

bezzer

Unfortunately there seem to be a hell of a lot of 'ineffective' or 'bad' dog owners around these days. On the other hand, it does seem that this place is full of perfect dog owners!

With my daughter having been on the end of a nasty dog attack when she was younger, I wouldn't hesitate to give a dog a swipe with my size 10 if one threatened me or my family again.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Unfortunately there seem to be a hell of a lot of 'ineffective' or 'bad' dog owners around these days. On the other hand, it does seem that this place is full of perfect dog owners!

With my daughter having been on the end of a nasty dog attack when she was younger, I wouldn't hesitate to give a dog a swipe with my size 10 if one threatened me or my family again.

your always welcome to meet the black dog, as many others have done before ,

bezzer

your always welcome to meet the black dog, as many others have done before ,
Mick, I wasn't having a dig at anyone. I was just pointing out that Maggotdrowners seems to be blessed with responsible dog owners. Must be a 'Fisherman' thing (y)

AdeB

Site Supporter
Mick, I wasn't having a dig at anyone. I was just pointing out that Maggotdrowners seems to be blessed with responsible dog owners. Must be a 'Fisherman' thing (y)

No one is going to admit to being a bad dog owner, though with kids, some do admit to being a bad parent!

dezzatheblue

No one has said we are all good dog owners, my dogs aren't perfect and one is very big, they are mostly well behaved but if there is any risk to bother others we get them on leads.