Dog commands

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
At my sisters the other night, they have a Cockapoo probably coming on 2 years old now, it’s been years since I had a dog (a little shih-tzu), and I was impressed by its command of the English language.

“Where’s the ball, Oswald?” is one such command.

Doesn’t really ‘sit’ or ‘off’’ when you tell him to though.

They have a cat called Xena. If you shout Xena it goes off looking in the usual spots but ‘Cat’ still doesn’t ring a bell with him yet.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You can teach them quite a lot with time and effort. Ours knows quite a lot just depends whether she wants to listen. Phrases including ball, stick, dinner, breakfast or treat get a much more immediate response than sit, quiet or calm down lol

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
They’ve taken him to a lot of doggy training sessions and ‘off’ does still kind of work but much better with my brother in laws stern London accent. I blame a lot of his problems partly on breed and partly on having kids around that don’t have much time for him. He doesn’t like being petted and is transfixed on his ball.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
tuppence is pretty good

being as him and me are together for better part of the time, hes got a wide vocabulary, and a rake of movements, either hand or face that he recognises and understands

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
They’ve taken him to a lot of doggy training sessions and ‘off’ does still kind of work but much better with my brother in laws stern London accent. I blame a lot of his problems partly on breed and partly on having kids around that don’t have much time for him. He doesn’t like being petted and is transfixed on his ball.
The more a dog is transfixed on something, be it food or ball, the easier it is to train. Dogs with low drives are tricky to train.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
At one time I did a lot of shooting and was a member of a game syndicate in Scotland. Within the syndicate we probably at least 25 dogs of all breeds from Spaniels of various types, obviously Labradors of differing hues and one peach coloured miniature poodle, who was one of the best finders and gatherers of game I have ever seen. Would always put a smile on your face.
Given all this variety there was a very small choice of names. The most popular and widely used name was most definitely "Yabastard" as in "Comehereyabastard" or "Liedownyabastard". The fact that all Gundogs are obedient and trained to an incredibly high standard is a myth, I'm afraid. :sneaky:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Never let Sean Connery teach your Dog to sit

There's a Frank Skinner sketch where he recommends a finger up the wrong end to release the grip!

My parents were watching a dogs behaving badly program on TV the other night and they had a Cockapoo with similar problems surrounding 'mouthing' except this time going for the foot. Apparently the trick is to stand dead still and not pull your feet away as they think it's a game. This one only does it jumping up and mouthing hands.

tee.bee

Site Supporter
my dog is very good with all commands she can even read your mind you only have to think about a walk and she sits on the bottom stair by the front door.she can even tell the time stares at the front door when im due home from work even taught her to bark on command just say speak and all hell breaks loose and finnish and all is well in the world again comes in useful now and again :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

rudd

Site Supporter
Fact - Dogs can listen to two things at once using each ear independently.
Fact - My Wife can watch telly and know whats going on whilst talking on phone (or to some one next to her) and listening and commenting on whatever I am doing as well as both daughters upstairs 😬

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I was on the Severn last year I heard for about 3 hours a women calling for their dog, Penny. They found it in the end as they were throwing a ball to it as I walked back to the car park.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I love that clip not only because I have a mate called Fenton, but documentary filmmaker Errol Morris also wrote about it somewhere in a piece on Crimean War photographer Roger Fenton.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
The thing that cracks me up with dog owners who can't get their dog to come back on command so they start chasing it,dog thinks it's a game and does it till it gets fed up,simple way to train them to come back is first buy a good whistle,second wear something bright,when they run off blow the whistle to get it's attention and then run or walk away from it,they think it's a new game and will chase you.After that a few times the whistle will bring them back

Last edited: