Dog cage

stikflote

Site Supporter
Any advice please on getting our puppy to use his cage?? ,i ve had a few dogs over the years but never used or had a cage
my neighbours gave to us the cage their dog doesnt need it any more.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Leave the door open and put his favourite toy in it.
Get him used to going in and out of it but don't lock him in
Never use it as a punishment, always treat it as his domain and eventually he'll be comfortable using it and will go to it if you train him to associate it with the word 'Bed'

Once he's comfortable going in and out on his own, and on command, you will be able to close the door if need be, but again only for short periods of time until he gets used to it.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
As Dave says, try to encourage him to go in it out of choice until he feels really comfortable in it. Really praise and reward him if he goes in it.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Leave the door open and put his favourite toy in it.
Get him used to going in and out of it but don't lock him in
Never use it as a punishment, always treat it as his domain and eventually he'll be comfortable using it and will go to it if you train him to associate it with the word 'Bed'

Once he's comfortable going in and out on his own, and on command, you will be able to close the door if need be, but again only for short periods of time until he gets used to it.
As Dave says ,perfect way,dogs love them after a while. I used to cover the top and sides with a blanket like a little cave and my dogs loved it

62tucker

Site Supporter
Best thing we bought when angel was a puppy. And she’s safe in there if she gets left home alone.
We have got a metal water bowl in there attached to the side. She drinks nearly all the time out of that and not her water in kitchen.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We had two when we had our previous Boxers and the female used to love it in hers. The male however wasn't too keen on his and many a time would get into hers and sleep on top of her :)

Winston has never bothered with his, in fact it's up in the loft now as it was just taking up space.

One thing to make sure you do with a previously used one is clean it thoroughly with something like Jeyes fluid to get rid of the scent of the previous dog, otherwise yours might not use it because he can smell the other dog on it.

stikflote

Site Supporter
@Dave Spence ,
No i would not have bought a dog cage ,next door gave to us ,but it could be somewhere that puppy could
be put to stop him trying to play fight with my other dog who keeps snapping him ,we dont want him to get bitten,
Hes got no fear little sod will have ago at any thing , while he was on my daughters lap i pretended to hit her
he barked growled and went for my hand, his teeth are like needles,
Keith

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dogs regardless of size and breed are pack animals and need the pecking order established from an early age.
Once Millie loses her patience with him and nips him he'll learn not to pester her.
The same goes with if he barks, growls or goes for your hand, he needs to learn that you are the alpha male, head of the pack, not him the little whipper-snapper :)

SeanB

Site Supporter
Whats the betting that Mrs Munch will be now making plans to get one for Mr Munch if he dares to go fishing without her 😁