Does your Feeder................................?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Being as there has of late been a whole Plethora of threads pertaining to the art of feeder fishing

there is one question that, I often wonder about ??

does your feeder gently enter the water, with a plop as soft as a deers lips drinking

or............................

Are you rather more a SplaDoosh type minelayer who not only announces the dinner bell but does it with a complete church peal

Truth only answers, cos this is serious :whistle:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Soft as a deers lips drinking ? Where did that come from Mick ? 😳 What you been drinking ? 🤣

Feather it in me Mick. I hate the sound of the …. ‘ Blllllllosh ‘. Just like a deers lips drinking that’s me. 🙄🤣🤣

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I suppose it would depend on the feeder, and the weight of it. If you're talking a method or small open end, then just a 'plop'. It's not hard to do when 'feathering it down.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Gently feather mine in to keep the splash to a minimum if I can.

As you say it’s much easier with a smaller method feeder than with a great big cage feeder.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Feathered in unless using a line clip when it sounds more like a depth charge going off at times depending on how eager the cast was :)

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
The first couple casts I'll make a bit of noise, then I will attempt to make as little disturbance as possible, unless its all gone quiet then I might let one in heavy and empty it on the surface cadge feeder, method always as gentil as possible need to get the bait to the bottom attached to the feeder.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
On the very rare occasion I have used a method feeder (twice) I did manage a plop by the end, aided by using an underam cast on a snake lake where distance isn't an issue and controlling the feeder entry is easier. Chucking a 3 Oz feeder on the Trent is another matter, I am trying to remember to dab the spool just as the feeder enters the river, to straighten the hooklink (thanks Chris) but it still sounds like a depth charge. ⛲⛲:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I try and feather it down on cast of 30 to 40 yards.
There is one commie snake lake I fish that is about 10 yards wide, I have fished method feeder on the pole across to far side there in inclement weather . I found I got quicker bites by slapping it in than by lowering it in. Sometimes they were on it as soon as it hit the water.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depends how big and what shape the feeder is and whether I mess up the cast really! Not sure it makes a huge difference in fairly deep flowing water to fish that are used to having boats and swimmers going over their heads but I do try to not make too much noise.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Depends. If clipped up can hit the clip with the feeder just a few foot off the water and it goes in nicely. I find a bit of an upward arc to the cast helps so I don't hit the clip too hard, unless beating the wind, but that's probably poor technique? When chucking a 2oz+ loaded feeder on the river it makes more of a splash no matter what I do, so have been finding a bomb much less intrusive.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
As gentle a plop as I can manage- often feathered. I am minded of the old Bill and Ben Joke- Ben "Ba ba de pop de plop plop" Bill " If that stinks I'm gettin' outta here!"

nejohn

Site Supporter
On the rare occasions that I resort to the feeder I try to drop it in rather than dive bomb it, so lowering the rod tip and a bit of feathering is the order of the day, I don't like using a line clip so never have the issue of hitting the clip and then the feeder falling out of the sky. Last time I was on the bank there was a guy fishing the next peg with a feeder, he was fishing to a lily bed off an island probably no more than a 20m lob, however clipped up, big chuck rod tip pointing to the heavens, feeder hits clip, feeder stops dead and falls to the water from a great height and splashes down like a house brick hitting the water....I think I even got wet from the splash a couple of times (OK that might be an exaggeration )

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I use a clip... cast out as its getting close pull the rod back so line hits the clip and lower the rod till the feeder enters the water with a plop instead of a SPADOOSH...!

grey

Site Supporter
Those first few casts where I'm still finding the range and hitting the clip too hard can cause the feeder to do some outrageous belly flops.

Had some casts last week where I'm surprised all the fish in the area didn't turn belly-up and float to the surface from the shock of my fully loaded feeder hitting the water.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Like this every time....;):love:......'..feeder gently enters the water, with a plop as soft as a deer's lips drinking'
You told me that your feeder enters the water like a unicorns 🦄 horn gently and delicately brushing the surface When did you become so heavy handed Mark ? 🤣

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Soft as a deers lips drinking ? Where did that come from Mick ? 😳 What you been drinking ? 🤣

Feather it in me Mick. I hate the sound of the …. ‘ Blllllllosh ‘. Just like a deers lips drinking that’s me. 🙄🤣🤣
have you never heard a deer drinking

one day when fishing frant lakes, I was lucky enough to have some fallow deer come to the bankside whilel I was there fishing, it just seemed an apt description of a soft noise

smiffy

Site Supporter
I cushion the blow with a clip and it enters with a small splish. If it enters with a duck fart noise I have to wind in and chuck again.