does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexR

hey everyone!
a question, when fishing with a light hi-tech hooklength, (0.06 or 8), they tend to get a bit messed up and twisted, kinked slightly etc.
now what i am asking is, how messed up would you have your line? would you put a new h/l on if it messed up at all, or would you be confident to leave it in a slightly poorer, not as straight condition and think the fish will not see the difference??

;)

G

No Alex take it off.
do you use a hook tier? if so,do not wind H/L TIGHT AROUND THE TOOL.
Do not forget to wet you line first before you tighten line.
A twisted hook length is useless.
Jangar beer-toast1.gif

martin.

Account Locked
hi AlexR
with such fine hooklenghts you must be talking pole rigs.
i personaly change any part of my rigs that are damged/untidy in any
way/ If you are getting alot of hooklenght tangles try a different line ive found the best ones for both main & hooklenghts is
silstar match team, (could now be under clarks match team)
0.6=1.4lb 0.8=1.7lb 0.1=2.6lb ect.
it could also be that you are using to longa hooklenght i try to keep mine to 4ins maxyhat way ican have my final shot just above knot
& next one 5in above that that way on the drop the hook dos not catch
on second shot.

tight lines.
martin.

scouse

'River Man'
hi alex
if you use a hook tier
when you want to release the hook
pull the hook shank and not the line
and the H/L wont kink
tightlines dave(scouse) beer-toast1.gif

AlexR

ok, i swear, i have tried EVERYTHING and it still dont work. there is always a kink just above the hook ALWAYSeven when i pull the shank, wet the line etc. is it possible to tie 0.08 or lower without kinking at all???

;)

martin.

Account Locked
hi
if you use a hook tier do you use spade hooks
try going round shank 5 times and not to tightly after you have wet knot pull tight slowly dont forget the small tail should come off at piont side of shank not the back.

tight lines.
martin.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
If you got a kink or a twist, you got a weak spot.

If the line is more than strong enough and you don't mind a weak spot, may be OK to keep using it. Maybe.

Newt Vail

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Has anyone still got the instructions that came with the Matchman Hooktier

It is one of the best hook tiers that I have used, if so can you please scan and send me a copy

Alex, if you are using one and you find that your line is still kinking around the hook pull the line slowly to tighten it, don't hold it too tight to the hook tier and don't forget to wet it first. If you are holding the line around the hook tier too tightly it will kink as you'll be stretching it.

Dave

Edited by - Dave on 07 March 2002 09:19:53 AM

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave

I know someone who's got a brand new matchman hook tyer & instructions.

It'll be someone between my house & Newts cos i sent him one ages ago & he's never recieved it

Guees i'll have to go buy another & try again

Alan
You've just been moderated

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
error.gif I can't belive anyone uses the matchman,they are a nightmare to use,go for the Drennan,much easier.

Instructions for the Matchman.
1. Unwrap.
2. Throw in bin.
3. Go out and buy a Drennan.

Seriously though folks,If you like the Matchman you'll hate the Drennan & visa versa argue.gif bash.gif

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Peter,

I guess I grew up with the Matchman as I've never used another. I hadn't heard about the Drennan one until now so I'll hunt one down for a look-see,

Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trogg - if that tying thing ever does get here, I certainly hope it has good directions for attaching a 4/0 hook to 20lb super braid. LOL

I really might try it for putting line to those itty bitty #18s Elton sent just for the fun of it but I don't know about fishing with a hook I can't see too well.

You wouldn't believe how much time I spent looking for the opening in the eye of those things though. I was just certain there had to be one there somewhere - if only I looked hard enough.

And I took a couple of those #18 hooks to the lake with me. I did catch some nice fish too. Dipped the hook in the water and when the bass came to the surface to laugh (you can't do that under water you know) I slipped a net under them. Glad none was a new PB though since I wouldn't know if it was right to count it or not.

If I ever do get to the UK, I really gotta spend some time watching the match guys with those huge, long poles and those small hooks. I'd love to see them catch fish that way. Reading about it just doesn't do the job for me and it sounds like a great bit of fun so I'd love to see it. The idea of using a hook small enough to put a single maggot on is mind-boggling for this old redneck.

Newt Vail

scouse

'River Man'
hi dave
sent you both instructions, and how to tie hooks by hand,
they are in the post
tightlines dave (scouse)

Larry

Lazarus
I Know i'd be lost without my matchman hooktyer been using them for over 2o yrs now,got through a few though

Cheer's Larry

AlexR

it seems that after the hooklength has spent some time on a winder it becomes nice and straight again, i used a 0.08 yesterday that i tied poorly and then it was straight...

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.