Does colour of wafter matter?

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I simply lower it in off the tip of the rod at the park. It's good in that you get to observe close up what's going on in your swim as the fish give themselves away with bubbles. It sounds like that's how I already load my feeder but will try those Drennan feeders. (y)
why not give the cone method a try and do away with feeder? You could put a much smaller pile on the deck with your hookbait....just a thought...

Dropon

I have had some success with the Bait tech mulberry wafted,that is a dark purple colour so can’t believe fish pick it out by the visual impact. Like already said carp hoovers the micros off the feeder and baited hook is also taken.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You need to reappraise your thinking about bait buoyancy.

A ‘slow sinking corn’ that takes a size 6 to sink it was designed (for carp fishing) to do exactly that, i.e sink slowly with a suitable carp rig. If you use a smaller/lighter hook it becomes a pop-up because it is positively buoyant.

The same logic applies to any ‘wafter’. It is (or should be) positively buoyant which means it will float until you weigh it down with something. So a particular (say) 8mm ‘wafter’ might float with a particular size 14 hook (so effectively it’s a pop-up) and balance on the bottom with a size 10 of the same pattern.

It then gets complicated because one manufacturers 8mm ‘wafter’ might be more/less buoyant than another. And one size 14 hook will weigh more/less than another….and so it goes on.

Of course you have the option of trimming the bait (‘wafter’/popup) to make it less buoyant or changing to a heavier hook or adding weight to the rig. So it is about the balance between the buoyancy of the bait and the mass of the hook and rig.

So a ‘wafter’ is a pop-up.
Good thoughts mate thanks for sharing.

why not give the cone method a try and do away with feeder? You could put a much smaller pile on the deck with your hookbait....just a thought...
Yes I mentioned it to my dad, we might fish the same pegs all the time but at least we experiment. :D

NB. There are limited pegs at the park hence always fishing the same few.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Wafter-wise I seem to do better with pink, white and yellow. I prefer the washed out versions, but I haven’t noticed any difference in catch rate between the standard bright colours. If I’m honest, I do much better with a normal 6 or 8mm coarse feed pellet. But I like to play about so have plenty of wafter options.

Total

Site Supporter
Good thoughts mate thanks for sharing.

Yes I mentioned it to my dad, we might fish the same pegs all the time but at least we experiment. :D

NB. There are limited pegs at the park hence always fishing the same few.
Excuse the slight detour.....But what are the other 'successful' anglers catching their crucians on at your park lake?:unsure:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Excuse the slight detour.....But what are the other 'successful' anglers catching their crucians on at your park lake?:unsure:
There ain't many that I would call successful really. But, brace yourself....

Adam - had five in a day on corn on a pole float on rod and line. He feeds sticky micros and red groundbait. He fishes a feeder as much as me but I don't think he's had that many Crucians this year other than those 5.
Burt - fishes either corn and small pieces of meat or maggot. But he fishes down the spit and rarely catches much down there. He just likes those pegs because it's quiet in terms of people walking past.
Colin the Bailiff - has had 2 Crucians out this year on maggot on the float from the far right peg, say Corn doesn't work for him. Has started 'copying' me with a method feeder off the lilies but only caught a Tench on it.
Jimbo - Travels from Worcester and mainly fishes a float with various baits but hasn't caught a Crucian yet.
Tattoed mate (forget his name :() He had 2 Crucians on one session on maggot on waggler fished off tip of his rod by lilies.

A lot of people come and go that look 'half serious' don't catch anything and go home, the other half are the usual jokers with sea fishing rods.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Only thing I would add that being a park with few rules and cheap fishing, it gives a lot of people chance to brush up on their skills, so a bit harsh calling people jokers. You do get a lot of people that walk round and chat that don't fish it much anymore but tell you how they used to catch, some reckon single bread baits around the lilies, but with a lot of them, they fished it years ago and it's only the last couple of years any Crucians have came out.

Total

Site Supporter
There ain't many that I would call successful really. But, brace yourself....

Adam - had five in a day on corn on a pole float on rod and line. He feeds sticky micros and red groundbait. He fishes a feeder as much as me but I don't think he's had that many Crucians this year other than those 5.
Burt - fishes either corn and small pieces of meat or maggot. But he fishes down the spit and rarely catches much down there. He just likes those pegs because it's quiet in terms of people walking past.
Colin the Bailiff - has had 2 Crucians out this year on maggot on the float from the far right peg, say Corn doesn't work for him. Has started 'copying' me with a method feeder off the lilies but only caught a Tench on it.
Jimbo - Travels from Worcester and mainly fishes a float with various baits but hasn't caught a Crucian yet.
Tattoed mate (forget his name :() He had 2 Crucians on one session on maggot on waggler fished off tip of his rod by lilies.

A lot of people come and go that look 'half serious' don't catch anything and go home, the other half are the usual jokers with sea fishing rods.
^^ Thank you...(y)

........Sorry for the delay in answering mate I was just re labelling all my pots of 'Wafters' to 'Pop ups' :oops::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Your answer regarding the various baits above doesn't surprise me....Thank goodness we don't all fish the same eh?(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't say it just to make my own catches seem better, but those are basically the regulars that 'fight' over the same few pegs, except Burt who fishes it a few times a week but does his own thing on the spit. I don't think Adam has fished it since he had the five out. He said to me that it will be either me or him that catches a 4lber out of there that's not the 'split tail' fish as we're the only ones that properly target them. I've lost count of the amount of people that have walked round and told me I should be fishing so and so fishery because there's no fish at the park.

edit - then there's Wobble who doesn't buy a permit, and gets into rows with the swans. :LOL:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Total you do get the odd proper Carp angler down the park, Adam included when he's not fishing for Crucians. My dad just sent me this, 22lb as part of a 10 Carp haul. These be the ones that snap us Crucian anglers off. (y)

22lb park.jpeg

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
When crucians start fizzing, almost can be impossible to catch as they sift silt picking out micros or groundbait.
Some call this gill feeding.
Any hookbait not matching the hatch is not picked up or if so is rejected quickly.
You have located a hotspot and know fish are there, would recommend single hookbait with no feed whatsoever.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When crucians start fizzing, almost can be impossible to catch as they sift silt picking out micros or groundbait.
Some call this gill feeding.
Any hookbait not matching the hatch is not picked up or if so is rejected quickly.
You have located a hotspot and know fish are there, would recommend single hookbait with no feed whatsoever.
What hookbait do you reckon? Some have suggested bread? If you feed any bread then the Swans are a pain.

I think the other species like Tench can be almost as bad. We've been trying to work out from the bubbles which species is giving them off as it won't always be Crucians, but it's all guesswork.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
The few I have caught this year have all fallen to bread flake using a 1/4oz running bomb - no feed. Yes also had Tench and big Rudd/Roach, you cannot chose which species will pick up bread.
In past 8mm single expander or single corn (no feed) has worked well.
Crucians will not compete with other species hence no feed which may attract other species. Location is key and I have found they will feed right against bank in shallow water, especially if bank is undercut.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have seen one angler fishing bread with no feed right amongst the lilies on the newly cut out peg and he blanked, so although I think it will be good to try, do no expect it to work like magic. Still worth a try and is something I'd considered along with what I think I might do tomorrow, matching the hatch with pellets and 4mm expander, as they seem to love pellets and is something I've been meaning to try. Location is why we fish the one of 5 pegs on the lilies, the only other bank with any other marginal cover is the row of houses with no pegs.