Does colour of wafter matter?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've recently started to have most confidence in white wafters, theory being they resemble a small piece of bread.

Some might say it doesn't matter much but others might, others might say it's purely a confidence thing?

SeanB

Site Supporter
I think it does matter, I seem to catch more on certain colours, such as flouro orange or pink, and less on others.

Total

Site Supporter
Always start with the colour I have the most confidence in depending on the time of year and colour/clarity of the water...

mikeyF

I spent a day with Rob Wooton and Lee Kerry earlier this year at Barston on a feeder day and this subject came up. Their opinion was that *most* of the time the fish eats the pile, often with the hook bait buried in it and not even see it and therefore colour doesn't matter and if you took it further nor does size or type.

They did say that where the feeder is in the water for longer and the pile spreads releasing the hook bait that "in their opinion" yellow and then pink were certainly Lee's go to colour. Independent of this day I have always typically used yellow or pink and that is where my confidence lies despite having several other tubs of other colours and flavours !

There was a recommend for the Dynamite Baits white amino acid soft hooker which they also (both) use - I can't recall the exact circumstances but it might have been winter time with the soft bait helping to avoid the hook being ejected to quickly.

Additionally flavour of the hook bait was also dismissed - too small a quantity to make a difference, although flavoured micros were of sufficient volume to have an impact.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I spent a day with Rob Wooton and Lee Kerry earlier this year at Barston on a feeder day and this subject came up. Their opinion was that *most* of the time the fish eats the pile, often with the hook bait buried in it and not even see it and therefore colour doesn't matter and if you took it further nor does size or type.

They did say that where the feeder is in the water for longer and the pile spreads releasing the hook bait that "in their opinion" yellow and then pink were certainly Lee's go to colour. Independent of this day I have always typically used yellow or pink and that is where my confidence lies despite having several other tubs of other colours and flavours !

There was a recommend for the Dynamite Baits white amino acid soft hooker which they also (both) use - I can't recall the exact circumstances but it might have been winter time with the soft bait helping to avoid the hook being ejected to quickly.

Additionally flavour of the hook bait was also dismissed - too small a quantity to make a difference, although flavoured micros were of sufficient volume to have an impact.
Thanks for the comment!

This was my thinking as to why it shouldn't matter too! I live in the hope that the pile will remain intact and be swallowed in one.

For whatever reason at my park lake though, I've been having 'frustrating' bubbles come up as my pile has probably wafted around and the hook bait could be anywhere!

I've tried switching to the smallest hybrid feeders and still get the same problem. I've found even with the smallest feeders, just a small amount of micros can keep fish fizzing in the peg for ages. It's frustrating because it's not working how I want it to, as you describe.

I've just ordered some Bait Tech Special G 8mm White Wafters for the purposes of the park. I personally hope they're not too scented as I've had some that smell delicious to me, but not caught on them.

mikeyF

Thanks for the comment!

This was my thinking as to why it shouldn't matter too! I live in the hope that the pile will remain intact and be swallowed in one.

For whatever reason at my park lake though, I've been having 'frustrating' bubbles come up as my pile has probably wafted around and the hook bait could be anywhere!

I've tried switching to the smallest hybrid feeders and still get the same problem. I've found even with the smallest feeders, just a small amount of micros can keep fish fizzing in the peg for ages. It's frustrating because it's not working how I want it to, as you describe.

I've just ordered some Bait Tech Special G 8mm White Wafters for the purposes of the park. I personally hope they're not too scented as I've had some that smell delicious to me, but not caught on them.
I'm not sure how far your chuck is - but for the longer distance chucks of 50m+ we were told to use a level hybrid feeder, and fill by hand rather than mold. The initial shallow fill was heavily compressed into the feeder to ensure that at least some of the pile stays firmly in the feeder as a base that the wafter could float over, and then compress the rest over the hookbait again with a solid press down.
No reason why you couldn't try that and see if it helps.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I simply lower it in off the tip of the rod at the park. It's good in that you get to observe close up what's going on in your swim as the fish give themselves away with bubbles. It sounds like that's how I already load my feeder but will try those Drennan feeders. (y)

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Pink all the way for me. Yellow 2nd. As i fish mainly for Bream/Skimmers find it works well.
When it was Carp. Orange then white.

Total

Site Supporter
Is there a difference between 'slow sinking' and 'wafter'? Reason I ask... tried Korda Slow Sinking Corn... needs a size 6 hook to sink it. :LOL:
Slow sinking version will anchor down ok with a 14's MWG.....They are essentially a type of paste bait that breaks down even in Winter water temperatures after about 30 minutes......There's a sort of aura/mist that very attractive to fish that forms around/off the bait as it's breaking down...

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I believe colour matters but it changes depending on the day. Sometimes I fish pink for half an hour and have no takes so I switch to yellow or orange and the bites start coming. On another day it will be the other way round. I think you have to be prepared to change till you find what the fish want. I always have pink, red, yellow, orange and white in my box.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I find on some days one colour will work better than others - fluoro orange in particular - but otherwise once the fish are on the feed any colour or brightness is immaterial.

squimp

Site Supporter
Is there a difference between 'slow sinking' and 'wafter'? Reason I ask... tried Korda Slow Sinking Corn... needs a size 6 hook to sink it. :LOL:
You need to reappraise your thinking about bait buoyancy.

A ‘slow sinking corn’ that takes a size 6 to sink it was designed (for carp fishing) to do exactly that, i.e sink slowly with a suitable carp rig. If you use a smaller/lighter hook it becomes a pop-up because it is positively buoyant.

The same logic applies to any ‘wafter’. It is (or should be) positively buoyant which means it will float until you weigh it down with something. So a particular (say) 8mm ‘wafter’ might float with a particular size 14 hook (so effectively it’s a pop-up) and balance on the bottom with a size 10 of the same pattern.

It then gets complicated because one manufacturers 8mm ‘wafter’ might be more/less buoyant than another. And one size 14 hook will weigh more/less than another….and so it goes on.

Of course you have the option of trimming the bait (‘wafter’/popup) to make it less buoyant or changing to a heavier hook or adding weight to the rig. So it is about the balance between the buoyancy of the bait and the mass of the hook and rig.

So a ‘wafter’ is a pop-up.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Bait colours (and flavours) are invariably dependent on the venue in question. A colour (or flavour) that works fantastically on one venue may not be the best on another. I've found some venues where colours seem to matter very little and others where they seem to matter enormously. One thing I'm sure of is that there is no universal "best" colour (or flavour).

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Biggest sellers in wafters pop ups and bottom baits are the multi coloured pots in bright or washed out followed by white alone followed by chocolate orange.

mikeyF

Biggest sellers in wafters pop ups and bottom baits are the multi coloured pots in bright or washed out followed by white alone followed by chocolate orange.
That of course has nothing to do with what fish prefer - all that means is that those colours catch anglers.

I suspect an awful lot of those pots sit in bags and cupboards either having never been opened, or rarely used (cough - me included).