Does anyone want to own their own fishery....?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I very nearly did about 12/13 years ago, had half the money in hand and checked I could borrow the rest at a sensible rate but knowing the angling public meant I decided that it was going to be too much hassle running and protecting the venue so after a lot of thought decided against it.
Glad I did now got enough on my plate with two businesses on the go

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Know a lot of fishery owners around my area and although quite a few used to fish,not many do now.
I would imagine that over time the business element would suck the enjoyment out of the sport.

Fishing the same pegs, for the same fish and in the same way soon loses its appeal,imagine that if you could do it even more.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
It’s a lot of money to buy work, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, the constant worry of the health of your fish stocks.
Yes you can hire staff but that eats away at the profits . With that sort of money in my bank account I’d just sit back and enjoy the fishing

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have noticed Ed Brown who runs Furnace Mill and is usually on site is an angler himself but goes Salmon fishing at Matt Hayes place in Norway. It's a good point about not really wanting to fish your own fishery.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
When we lived in northern france a few years ago, we had an acre and a half lake in the garden. carp up to 20lb and quality roach/rudd/perch.
I loved it for the first couple of years, but the maintenance was never ending and after I caught all of the fish a few times it just got too easy. I just could not get excited about fishing it, I found myself paying to fish other peoples lakes, just for the challenge. It just turned into a lot of work for little reward. Breathed a sigh of relief when we moved.
Wouldn't have minded it during the lockdown mind. :D
The house is at 48.267874, -0.423648 on google maps

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Owning one of those fishing lodges they run charters out of somewhere exotic would be pretty cool. Would take a few years to run out of places to fish then!

So far as owning a coarse fishery I could only really see a big benefit if you lived onsite so could just have the odd spontaneous session when you don’t have time or can’t be bothered to go elsewhere. If you still had to drive somewhere I don’t see enough benefit over any other Fishery to be worth the hassle of owning one.

Last edited:

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
When we lived in northern france a few years ago, we had an acre and a half lake in the garden. carp up to 20lb and quality roach/rudd/perch.
I loved it for the first couple of years, but the maintenance was never ending and after I caught all of the fish a few times it just got too easy. I just could not get excited about fishing it, I found myself paying to fish other peoples lakes, just for the challenge. It just turned into a lot of work for little reward. Breathed a sigh of relief when we moved.
That is just the thing isn't it. How many fishery owners actually fish their own waters. Not many I'm sure. I got bored silly of fishing the same fishery over and over again and catching the same fish for the sake of it. So if I owned a fishery, I think I would actually go fishing less, which would please the wife. Being on a fishery 24/7, I'm not sure I would be interested in the fishing part. This is why I said If I owned a fishery I would have to have an additional business running along side like B&B accommodation to give me that extra interest.

rudd

Site Supporter
If I had that sort of cash would be fishing in Cuba, Canada, Iceland, Norway, Argentina, Mauritius etc etc 😉

Plus the place is in bl00dy Norfolk 😬😬😬

Blue army 😕

smiffy

Site Supporter
This is the thing and where it gets expensive😉. You need a big enough lake that fish can get lost in. Big enough to host a good variety of species. Somewhere they can go to hide away. A way to minimise repeat captures. I’d probably want 15-20 acres. We can all dream😁

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Anglers wouldn't be pleased if I could afford to buy a fishery. Unless it happened to be my idea of perfection, it would change significantly. One of the most obvious changes would be that it would be closed to the public as soon as the ink on the sales contract was dry.
Ditto, and any Carp would be netted out too. Fishing for friends and M.D.ers only.

Russamg

Anglers wouldn't be pleased if I could afford to buy a fishery. Unless it happened to be my idea of perfection, it would change significantly. One of the most obvious changes would be that it would be closed to the public as soon as the ink on the sales contract was dry.
I would make sure the otters are gone lol

Sad Teacher

I just don't see how they make any money......say £6 a head ........at 30 anglers a day that's less than £200 a day. Please tell me I am wrong because I often think about it but it comes back to that maths. I

Silure

Site Supporter
I do as does two English friends here. Mine is the smallest just 6000 sq metres. Both friends are about ten acres each. I started up a club, Roussac Amilcale Péche Sociéte, (see facebook) and we have about 40 members. for 10euros a year they can fish all year round except on match days and days before matches. The lake holds carp, catfish, bream, tench, roach, rudd, and perch. On site is a disabled platform and also toilet facilities picnic benches and BBQ .

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I just don't see how they make any money......say £6 a head ........at 30 anglers a day that's less than £200 a day. Please tell me I am wrong because I often think about it but it comes back to that maths. I
On the bigger commercial fisheries, just 30 anglers would constitute a very poor day in the depths of winter (pre-covid restrictions). Just £6 a day would also be a relatively cheap day ticket. I'd expect most truly commercial venues to cost no less than £8, many are more. In addition to bare bones ticket income, those situated on repurposed agricultural land may also be attracting diversification/set aside grants. Whatever they do actually make, you can guarantee that no one would be creating fisheries as an out and out business venture if there was little to no money in it. For some landowners, fishing may just be a very minor income source from a feature of their land holdings that would otherwise produce zero income.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
every day ticket round here is £8-£12 a day... for a proper carp water a 3 rod ticket is £15 or more... a few with larger stock charge £20 for a 12 hour day... if you want a fright I paid £270 for 3 nights on Ashmead

Silure

Site Supporter
every day ticket round here is £8-£12 a day... for a proper carp water a 3 rod ticket is £15 or more... a few with larger stock charge £20 for a 12 hour day... if you want a fright I paid £270 for 3 nights on Ashmead
My friend has a carp water that is rented out through agents. For 5 anglers with ferry crossing and food all in is would be around 1500 for a week. So that is 300 pounds a person all in.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I paid £200 for a week on Redmire back in 2018 and that was the last week of the 2017-18 season... I pitched my bivvy on snow... kin taters it were