Does anyone want to own their own fishery....?

crackatoa

Site Supporter
"However, the person who buys it to live in needs to have been employed in connection with the management of the adjacent commercial fishing lakes or in agriculture in the locality, state the agents.

The property is covered by Section 336 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, which dictates the person living there should be in a connected profession such as forestry, or a dependent, a widow or widower of such a person."

Puts wallet away

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Looks lovely - could reopen it as a Maggotdrowners only fishery (y)

Other than the cash, the only other issue is not qualifying under all the local authority stipulations, unless I bump off the wife so I can qualify as a widower :rolleyes:

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Anglers wouldn't be pleased if I could afford to buy a fishery. Unless it happened to be my idea of perfection, it would change significantly. One of the most obvious changes would be that it would be closed to the public as soon as the ink on the sales contract was dry.

stephenk

Site Supporter
Often look at fisheries for sale website - surprisingly quite a few well known ones on there.

How about MD's buy one - £100 each....

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Looking at the variations in fishery quality I have around me, some are top notch and some leave something to desired. I have a feeling, not being trained in fishery management, I would not know how to run one as much as I'd like to. I'd probably for stock it with fish that would take forever to grow like Tench for a start.

Foul hooked

Always been my dream to own my own fishing lake. only problem is i am about £1.14M short. Did actually seriously look into trying to find a small piece of land to buy where i could build one a few years ago but could never find anything suitable.

SteveinSwindon

Think they will struggle to sell it given the restrictions imposed - rules out vast majority of potential buyers, which are probably limited in number anyway given the current economic climate and pandemic.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Me and the missus have often looked a French properties. I know it’s a minefield but some of the properties with their own lakes are so cheap. I’d love to have something like that at the end of the garden.
So we bought a place in Menorca instead😤😤😂

Foul hooked

Think they will struggle to sell it given the restrictions imposed - rules out vast majority of potential buyers, which are probably limited in number anyway given the current economic climate and pandemic.
This is not unusual though. Several years ago i looked at buying a piece of ancient caledonian forest. It had breeding red squirrels, Capercaille and crested tits and was actually very reasonably priced. The only snag was that there were so many covenants covering it that it meant that basically you could do nothing with it so as an investment it was a total non starter. I was not looking to develop it or anything, just put up a bird watching hide/single log cabin but it was impossible. One covenant stated that you were not permitted to stay on the land overnight (even in a tent) or conduct any activity except for the purposes of undertaking or teaching traditional woodcraft industries related to the management and maintenance of the wood. The annoying thing was that 300 yards down the road was a large hotel with several lodges in the grounds.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’d love to own a fishery, but only if I win the Euromillions on a big rollover, then I would install a fishery manager and other employees, run it exactly as I wanted (it would be a match only fishery) without the need to generate a profit.

Total

Site Supporter
I’d love to own a fishery, but only if I win the Euromillions on a big rollover, then I would install a fishery manager and other employees, run it exactly as I wanted (it would be a match only fishery) without the need to generate a profit.
No ledgering on it?:unsure::whistle:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Only if I was rich enough that provided it wasn’t losing money I’d be alright. A nice pub b&b with its own stretch of river would be my ideal 👍🏻

Silver fan 82

Looking at the variations in fishery quality I have around me, some are top notch and some leave something to desired. I have a feeling, not being trained in fishery management, I would not know how to run one as much as I'd like to. I'd probably for stock it with fish that would take forever to grow like Tench for a start.
I've always said mate if I had the mone I'd go back to college and re train in fishery management, then buy the land, either with lakes already in situ or design, build, stock and manage them myself. That's the dream anyway lol!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've always said mate if I had the mone I'd go back to college and re train in fishery management, then buy the land, either with lakes already in situ or design, build, stock and manage them myself. That's the dream anyway lol!

That was one of my dreams back when I was in college too, that and being a sound designer. I'm sure I went to see some kind of fishery management school around Warwick but can't remember how it came about. It's probably a good point that if you had enough money you could just employ a fishery manager though. I'm very impressed by how a few fisheries are run around by me by the direct owners though.

Silver fan 82

That was one of my dreams back when I was in college too, that and being a sound designer. I'm sure I went to see some kind of fishery management school around Warwick but can't remember how it came about. It's probably a good point that if you had enough money you could just employ a fishery manager though. I'm very impressed by how a few fisheries are run around by me by the direct owners though.
I studied horticulture at college. When I was there they didn't provide fishery management courses. Only after I'd left and life moved on a bit did they start the fishery courses. I would definitely have enrolled other wise. I see building / running a fishery almost as a project. It would be very time consuming but I just couldn't retire and not do anything I don't think even if I had the money.