Does anybody remember when.....

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Adverts in the 80's/ 90's had the "token black man" in them just so they couldn't be accused of racism?

Now we have adverts that have the token Black, Asian, Gay and Vegan in them to keep everybody happy...it's getting a smidgen on the ridiculous side now!

Then again some of the adverts have become hilarious....the one that makes me laugh at the moment if the one with the old guy and his parsnips, it's something to do with an over 50 insurance or something, the old lass he's visiting says how she's got one after talking to him and he says "ohh congratulations" ...i always think to myself "f....ing hell pal, she's bought an insurance policy she aint having a baby" :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"the one with the old guy and his parsnips, "
If the dick dumped his dirty old box of veg on my nice clean living room coffee table he would get a right kicking
:D

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Adverts in the 80's/ 90's had the "token black man" in them just so they couldn't be accused of racism?
You are not allowed say black man ! Hold on, I just said black man ! Well I didn't actually say it, I was quoting you saying black man ! Damm it I have done it again ! Just forget it !

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Not just the diversity you mention but it seems that all families have to be mixed race now with the stereotypical one boy.one girl.
If they want to really portray modern Britain surely it should be just the mum and three kids of different ethnic backgrounds.
Or as it's known - Angelina Jolie

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
no doubt that dave will have to start finding and deleting any possible reference to anyone that might be possible offended in a world of delicate little flowers that we have now. Few examples below!

A is for avoiding eye contact

Oxford University’s Equality and Diversity Unit tried to accuse people who avoid eye contact with others of ‘racist micro-aggression’ — before it was pointed out that such advice might be seen as discriminatory against people with autism who may struggle to look others in the eye.

B is for ‘born a man’ or ‘born a woman’

Transgender campaigners condemn such phrases as inaccurate and offensive. Even ‘biologically male’ and ‘biologically female’ are deemed ‘problematic’ by the influential U.S. gay rights ‘media monitoring’ group GLAAD (which used to be called the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, because they ‘oversimplify’ the ‘complex subject’ of gender. We’re told the correct usage is to say an individual is ‘assigned’ or ‘designated’ male or female at birth.

C is for cat’s eyes

Suffolk County Council stopped using traditional signs warning drivers ‘Cat’s eyes removed’ after fears that real cats may have been killed to manufacture these reflective road safety measures.

Ipswich resident Rebecca Brewer was reported as saying: ‘I have a five-year-old daughter who was very upset the first time she saw the sign — she really thought cruel people were torturing cats.’

Instead, signs across the county now state: ‘Caution, road studs removed.’

A council spokesman said: ‘The term “road studs” is one we now use as standard.’

C is also for clapping

Applause was banned by the National Union of Students’ Women’s Campaign over concerns that it could ‘trigger anxiety’ among nervous students. Whooping and cheering have also raised concerns. Instead, politically-correct students now show support for a speaker with a bizarre display of ‘jazz hands’, a form of exuberant but silent manual acclamation taken from musical theatre.

D is for dreadlocks

Use of this braided hairstyle by white people is said to represent cultural appropriation. When the designer Marc Jacobs was criticised for using a group of predominantly white models wearing dreadlocks in a show, he argued — not unreasonably — that this was similar to black women straightening their hair. This was met with further outrage from (mostly white) commentators who complained that hair-straightening had been ‘forced upon the black community due to beauty ideals based on white archetypes’.

E is for ‘Exotic’

A word some social justice warriors claim carries ‘nasty racial underpinnings’. U.S. fashion editor and blogger Katie Dupere says ‘exotic’ is ‘a major verbal micro-aggression’.

F is for ‘Fat’

An unacceptable term, which, according to so-called ‘fat-liberation activists, is used ‘to shame people who might not fit the conventional beauty standards of our society’. Contradictorily, though, anyone with a fuller figure is allowed to ‘reclaim “Fat” as an empowering identity’.

F is also for ‘forefathers’

A word that Cardiff Metropolitan University’s code of practice states is sexist (because it includes the gender-exclusive ‘fathers’) and should be replaced by ‘ancestors’ or ‘forebears’. The code lists 34 words and phrases to be avoided as part of efforts to ‘embrace cultural diversity’.

G is for ‘girls’

A sexist word according to Cardiff Metropolitan University, which said that it should never be used about adult women, as it is a way of belittling them.

G is also for ‘genius’

one of the words that Lucy Delap, a lecturer in British history at Cambridge, says should be discouraged as it ‘carries assumptions of gender inequality and also of class and ethnicity’.

corkycat

Yes Trogg I have seen that advert with the old git - sorry, senior citizen - with his parsnips. Have you noticed it is always shown in the breaks between Countdown, along with adverts for cruises and funeral plans?

Anyway, apart from fishing I like to play golf, and the two fairway woods in my bag are Ping GLE Ladies clubs; they just happen to suit my style of play and swing. When I first started using them my playing partners used to take the mickey, suggesting that I was into "ladies things". However time has moved on now and my golf clubs are simply regarded as "gender neutral". Whatever that means.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
it means a golf club is a frigging golf club that is used to hit the ball,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then is used to hit the ground several times...............then sometimes is launched into orbit.............usually associated with a bunch of expletives!

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
C is also for clapping

Applause was banned by the National Union of Students’ Women’s Campaign over concerns that it could ‘trigger anxiety’ among nervous students. Whooping and cheering have also raised concerns. Instead, politically-correct students now show support for a speaker with a bizarre display of ‘jazz hands’, a form of exuberant but silent manual acclamation taken from musical theatre.

The use of "jazz hands" is also how the audience applauds a deaf performer.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
"the one with the old guy and his parsnips, "
If the dick dumped his dirty old box of veg on my nice clean living room coffee table he would get a right kicking
:D
I know where I would like him to put his Parsnips,thick end first, but the reason they make the ads so naff is that we remember them,when I worked for Abbey Life they ran an advert for Critical Illness cover that started with about fifteen seconds of silence,just long enough for people to stop what they were doing and look at the TV thinking there was something wrong with the sound.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I’ve just realised I’ve got a Gender Neutral cup ?I don’t give a toss if yer a him shim or sham as long as me tea tastes ok when it’s made .

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Count to 10 Aitch.... count to.... soddit... IT'S NOT WORKING....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I don't really give two fecks what folk identify themselves as.... the notion of gender has become a psychological standpoint.... However... from a tangible and physical viewpoint if you have a brooch and earrings twixt those legs, yer a bloke and if its a badly packed kebab, yer a lass... ain't no crud about what you identify as.... physically you are what your body dictates you are... anything else is a matter for a trickcyclist...

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Some chap in paper today has had to step down from his job at the top of a record label. Apparently “stormsy” wasn’t happy that he’d fancy dressed up 8-10yr ago as a member of run DMC for a birthday party. It’s offensive for a white man to fancy dress as a black rapper. I’ve seen black men dress up as white man and I’m not offended nor is it offensive. Is it offensive to go green when dressing as an alien ?