Dobbs Weir

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyC

I,m fishing Dobbs Weir this sat (11 Jan )
Anybody up for it
If you are let me know,and will meet in car park At 0800
I know from past trips that there are double figure Pike there

Roy

Lid

Very tempting Finkelbunt, especially as I've never bin there and want to get into piking too. [;)]

However I'm not free on Saturdays during term time as I have to take my daughter to swimming lessons.

It looks pretty good there from the pics I found on the web. Does it get crowded, being a day ticket fishery? [?]

Lid - formerley known as Leighton [:)]

Last edited:

RoyC

Lid

As the norm no it dos,nt get busy this time of year
Infact I was there about three weeks ago on a Sunday
And there was i think only 6 people fishing
But it was raining!!!

Roy

Lid

This piking trip was changed to Sunday and so I was allowed out. I was rather unprepared as I hadn't expected to go fishing this weekend. My tackle was spread between two garages, the car and the house and I had no bait. However Finklebunt (Roy) said he had enough baits for both of us - thanks Roy.

I managed to put my kit together and set off on the coldest morning of the year to meet at Dobbs weir around 08:20. Roy had wanted to fish the adjoining canal, but it was frozen so we selected a couple of swims here. Apart from being freezing, it was a very nice spot and only two others anglers to start with. Later on the sun came out, which is when the pics were taken and we even got quite warm for a while.

The view from Finkelbunts swim

As I am new to piking, Roy helped me set up at the swim to the left of the photo. We tried lay a dead bait on the bottom with a float set up first, as I have no bite indicators. However my home made carp rod from 1977 hasn't got lined rings and I couldn't cast it to the chosen slack spot easily and when I did, it wouldn't behave so we legered the deadbaits instead.

Roy then set up his own two deadbait rods - one float, one leger.

I must have picked a swim with more snags in than the English channel. [:D] There were trees and posts and, so I was told later on, a sunken boat right in front of me. If I'd have hooked a pike, I'd probably have had to run round the corner to land it. During the session I manged to snag four rigs and lose them. Two of them gave up rather easily. I was using shop bought Drennan snap tackle traces and when I pulled the knot tight on the third one, the swivel disintegrated in my fingers. Two quid each for useless rubbish [:(!].

I fixed that trace with a split ring and my own swivel and the next time I caught a (different) snag, I straightened the hooks. Eventually though, probably cos I only had 10lbs b/s line, I lost all my traces. I'm not very happy about leaving them in the water, but what can I do [?] I reckon the deadbaits all fell off though which means no fish should get caught up.

Lid fishing for chub after losing all 4 of his pike traces in snags

After this, I set up a leger rod for chub and spent the rest of the session trying to catch one with curried sausage meat paste. I had a few bites, but they were from a mad swim feeder chucker on the weir bridge casting all over the shop. At one point I actually thought I'd got a fish, but realised when it 'swam' fifty yards upstream in 10 seconds that it was the same bloke winding in my rig like fury. [V]

During my battles with the snags, Roy fished his two rods patiently throughout the session, one static and one trotted most of the time. No fish, but a couple of possible takes, unless it was the mad swimfeeder chucker again. [:D]

A couple came and set up more kit than our local tackle shop in the swim to our right. We didn't see anyone else catch anything; not even minnows which someone after perch was trying to find. However about 14:30, just after Roy had left, the tackle shop couple next to us caught a Bream of exactly 9 lbs [:0]. Not on a deadbait but swimfeedered maggot, I think. Now if you catch a 9lbs Bream when its been -5 overnight, there must me bigger ones there you'd think ..... but by the time I left at 15:00, nothing else was caught.

An enjoyable day nonetheless, and great to meet up with Finkelbunt [8D], but if I'm to continue with piking, I need some more rods, reels, line, traces, bite indicators, a pod and of course some bait. I've got a unhooking mat and landing net (until its banned) though. [:D]

Another view of the weir pool

Until the next time then.
Lid - formerly known as Leighton [:)]

Last edited:

RoyC

Good report Lid
It,s a shame that at the moment there,s only three interested in doing a Pike charity fish in at Dobbs Weir
Or shall we call it a any fish charity fish-in
That way there might be more people come along !!!
After all there,s a Pub,Cafe,and toilets there(can,t be bad)

Roy (Have A Nice Day)

Status
Not open for further replies.