Dobbing

Rod Anne Reel

Normally this time of year my fishing gear is getting ready to be packed away, and I'm off abroad for the winter with work. Because of the current circumstances i'm not going this year, so will be able to do some winter fishing. I've noticed in past years whilst reading match results that dobbing is something needed in the winter armoury. My question today therefore is at what sort of temperatures would you start to think about dobbing, and is Bread the only real bait that people use for this tactic ?

Any info much appreciated

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’ve found that dead maggots, corn and bread all work well on the venues I fish. What I have found is that you generally get a bite within a couple of minutes of putting it in. Catch one maybe two fish and then move. It’s as though you are finding tiny pockets of two to three fish that are willing to feed. When dobbing up to an island I always start at the extremities of my peg gradually working my way in. When I feel I’ve exhausted this line I’ll give another line half an hour then go across and start all over again. Popping 2 or 3 x 10mm discs of bread up 10” off the deck also works well in the cooler months. Be ready for drop back bites with this method as the fish tend to pick the bait up but, don’t swim off. With regards temperatures .... well, every venue is different. Obviously some are deeper than others some are more sheltered but as a rule of thumb I try dobbing around the back end of November. Hopes this helps.

PS .... Try colouring your discs of bread. You’ll be amazed how one colour can out perform all others.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I have caught better using a coloured wafter than bread alone just cut the wafter down to slowly sink with the weight of the hook you are using.
Its a method that works all year if you can see fish cruising around.