Do you think we should sack fishing off until we come out of this lockdown ?

Do you think we should sack fishing off until we come out of this lockdown ?

• Yes

Votes: 45 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 44 45.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 8.2%

• Total voters

Andy the grandad

Stress is caused by not fishing enough.
Site Supporter
To me the problem is one of, I am alright jack and I know best.
widen your thinking to all outdoor sports/pastimes/hobbies, and you have thousands and thousands saying the same that I am safe why cant I.

If like me you can fish without the slightest risk to yourself or others what is the problem?

If I could not fish safely and others could I would not complain.
Same with me other than the odd dog walker on the opposite bank of my nearest watering hole which is actually frozen over as with my other 4 local haunts but I still go for a walk around after dark and see 3 to 4 inch perch and roach in the edges using my scree tactical torch where the waterfall is still keeping the ice away, I'm happy to carry on with fishing when possible as long as people respect my space and keep as far away from me as possible without it being a problem for anyone using this public space, and it works for me and them, families, dog walkers, you name it we are all respectful of each others spaces even before covid, sorry if some people have had different experiences but we have a good community to say its Bradford

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Is it only people that don't live near a fishing venue that voted yes?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
No. I have a pond 10 houses away. 4 min walk with all the gear but when I set up I can guarantee 2 or 3 watching me in a short session. I also think people are given an inch but take a yard

DFL

Site Supporter
I listen to the scientists and not the politicians so it’s a big yes for me.

Those that say yes mostly say “I” can fish safely, definitely a case of I’m alright Jack because they refuse to take into account the less responsible muppets that will go fishing and endanger others.

Like others I am concerned for mental welfare, but that’s the welfare of nurses, doctors and all workers that have to risk infection every day.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Difficult to argue with all of the many valid points made.

However I fail to see why I should make a decision because of a `muppet in the mix.

I do not want to put words into peoples mouths but I get the impression some feel guilty because we can go fishing while everyone
else has holidays, visiting family, days out etc scrubbed. Fish local and keep to the safety stuff, any problems are in peoples minds.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
The venues I can fish are too far away but if they were within the rules I would fish & be completely happy with my decision. At least I can play golf tomorrow as courses are open in Scotland but not the clubhouse.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Maybe people think that being a tackle dealer is the sole reason I think fishing should be available but to be honest I could do with a bit of peace and quiet anyway after last year so it would suit me not having to chase after bait and tackle.

The real reason is that being a true long established tackle shop I have customers going back nearly 40 years and they all have a story to tell and frequently do.
I have elderly customers who have confessed that fishing is the only thing that keeps them going day to day as they have nothing else left and at the other end of the scale I have young parents and single parents who have encouraged their children to fish as its the only thing they can do other than getting boggle eyed 10 hours a day playing computer games.
In between these two ends there are many who really miss their regular fishing fix like any addict would and need something to look forward to just to get them out of bed in the morning.
The divorce rate is going up as is domestic violence sadly and the biggest trigger is people being cooped up constantly indoors together so anything that provides a bit of respite should be welcomed and for many the only form of exercise they ever get is going out fishing.
Provided you stick within the rules there is no chance of you catching covid from fishing unless you start hugging long lost club members on sight or bend any of the other sensible distancing precautions.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Maybe people think that being a tackle dealer is the sole reason I think fishing should be available but to be honest I could do with a bit of peace and quiet anyway after last year so it would suit me not having to chase after bait and tackle.

The real reason is that being a true long established tackle shop I have customers going back nearly 40 years and they all have a story to tell and frequently do.
I have elderly customers who have confessed that fishing is the only thing that keeps them going day to day as they have nothing else left and at the other end of the scale I have young parents and single parents who have encouraged their children to fish as its the only thing they can do other than getting boggle eyed 10 hours a day playing computer games.
In between these two ends there are many who really miss their regular fishing fix like any addict would and need something to look forward to just to get them out of bed in the morning.
The divorce rate is going up as is domestic violence sadly and the biggest trigger is people being cooped up constantly indoors together so anything that provides a bit of respite should be welcomed and for many the only form of exercise they ever get is going out fishing.
Provided you stick within the rules there is no chance of you catching covid from fishing unless you start hugging long lost club members on sight or bend any of the other sensible distancing precautions.
Well said that man 👏

Andy the grandad

Stress is caused by not fishing enough.
Site Supporter
Which part do people not understand. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
I know the government said it is alright but how much do you expect them to be right?? Christmas?? schools September???

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
People can stay indoors and smoke and drink themselves to death. It doesn't mean they should. Going fishing must be better than doing the former. If you don't want to go fishing, it doesn't mean you shouldn't. ;)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I will almost certainly go fishing on Wednesday.

Only ten minute drive if that but even so the middle of nowhere and obviously on my own. Well away from others not any risk
to myself or other people.

Can I have one reason why I shouldn`t go. Not because I am `alright Jack` not because you disagree but a proper tangible reason.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I suspect someone will tell me I can't go fishing on my way to work which is what I am doing tomorrow.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I will almost certainly go fishing on Wednesday.

Only ten minute drive if that but even so the middle of nowhere and obviously on my own. Well away from others not any risk
to myself or other people.

Can I have one reason why I shouldn`t go. Not because I am `alright Jack` not because you disagree but a proper tangible reason.
You not frozen over down your way PG ?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
You not frozen over down your way PG ?
Hello Mick, supposed to warm up a bit in the next day or two, tiny float and equally tiny bit of bread I will count just a few small
roach as a success.

I know people on here don`t mean things personal but I do not like being labelled `I`m alright Jack`. Been political all my life and
my fellow working men and women are dear to my heart. Yes that sound corny but it`s true.

Bought some maggots online {Willy`s}, first time I have ever done this. If Boris decides to ban fishing again he owes me twelve quid!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hello Mick, supposed to warm up a bit in the next day or two, tiny float and equally tiny bit of bread I will count just a few small
roach as a success.

I know people on here don`t mean things personal but I do not like being labelled `I`m alright Jack`. Been political all my life and
my fellow working men and women are dear to my heart. Yes that sound corny but it`s true.

Bought some maggots online {Willy`s}, first time I have ever done this. If Boris decides to ban fishing again he owes me twelve quid!
You’re allowed at the moment so go for it mate. All my nearest waters are frozen solid so I’ll not be going for quite a while. I just hope local children don’t realise our local canal is frozen or they’ll be walking on it. 😫. Go for it mate. I know you’ll keep yourself safe. 👍