Do you think it is right Killing Pike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
this question is based on what happened today.

i was fishing a local still water nr my home.
and these Lads showed up fishing for pike, they caught one and let it sufficate for 1 hour until it died it was about 2lb. then they caught another one later on and made that sufficate in Pain and Agony. His excuse was for killing them was for his Ferrets and because you have to kill them and your not allowed to put them back in..

I personnaly think its wrong to Kill pike seeing as its highest in the foodchain and gets rid of the weak fry and are very good sport.
There is a policy on my Canal which is a fiver for each pike now that is stupid a pike was caught out of a nr by marina comin on to 41lb. some locals told me.
what do you think of killing pike??

this is only my Personal Opinion

Regards Gf

martin.

Account Locked
hi Gf
i am totaly against killing of any fish whatsoever
we have a rule on our water
no fish including pike & eels to be killed or removed fom all waters under the jurastiction of Tydd Gote ac
and last year i had to turn 2 people off for this

tight lines.
martin.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
As you can see by my "handle", what I fish for. Yes I am biased.
I have seen waters ruined by this indiscriminate killing of pike. As to the way they were killed this deserves to be reported to the RSPCA for the cruelty involved.

The club who have a bounty on the head of these pike need to be brought into the 21st centuary.

Infact it would do no harm to publish the name of the club so that this can be published in the weekly press to bring the condemnation this would bring to them.
Think of the outcry there would be if carp, tench etc were treated in this way, pike are no different.

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dan right John

I thought the killing of Pike had sank with the ark, obviously i was wrong.

Name & shame the club involved but check with them first to make sure its true & they do want the pike culled.

One word "Barbaric" & any angler that follows the rule is the same.

Alan
You've just been moderated

Cyprinid_boy

Pike have their rightful place in the food chain as GF points out. They are essential to a water body and do little harm to overall stocks, especially in the canals. However, clubs spend a lot of hard earned cash on stockfish, fish they see disappearing down the throats of un-fished for species. Naming and shaming is quite a ridicules and somewhat emotional response. Why don't we name all bad things that clubs do and put them out of business because angling is as strong as ever!!!! I do not condone killing fish, my job is with all species. But let me tell you all. The EA in line with Defra have a catch and kill policy on cats, grass carp and ide if found in waters without certification - there are very few of these. Is this ok or should we treat these fish like pike? If they are fully health checked why kill them? Another example - a dewatered reservoir caused by a leak left hundreds of fish stranded. It took the EA four days to decide where the pike were allowed to be stocked, by that time they were dead, all because of red tape. I witnessed this myself. Now, how will fishing clubs that yield little real knowledge of fisheries ever act properly if their controlling body set this example? The clubs need educating not shaming. Why cause the demise of another angling club because of one or two peoples pre-conceived ideas?

Esox, recently I was involved in a fish rescue from a potentially disastrous de-watered reservoir. The predominant species was tench, however, to move these fish to a safe haven they required the relevant paperwork including a health certificate. To gain this the EA insist of ten specimens of each species. The smallest tench in that water was 5lbs. They willing accepted 10 of these knowing that the fish were in a potential disastrous situation and carried out a long winded health check, looking only for parasites. There is only one category 1 parasite on the disease list and it has never been found in this country, it is a salmonid disease!!. Do you think this is a one off or do you think these types of fish are unnecessarily killed every day? Is this as bad as a lad taking home a 2lb pike for another animal to eat? A lad with no knowledge or responsibility to anglers? You are all aware of the large scale problem of the immigrants catching and killing all species on the slough arm, grand union canal, London for food? 15 a night, every night!!! They are not bothered about where the fish lies in the food chain. What do you think unscrupulous fishery consultants do with fish they dont want? Return them safely? I dont think so. My point is that many people with more knowledge and responsibility undertake the unnecessary killing of fish so why not target these? Why target a little inconsequential fishing club?

Cyp

Edited by - cyprinid_boy on 12 May 2002 08:07:06 AM

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
The lake i fish is owned by no one and there isnt a policy about pike but every one i asked there about 10 people said if you catch a pike kill it so i said why and a they said well it spoils the fishing..
and the canal i fish is the leeds and liverpool canal around Leeds Locks Nr Town..
But in the marina (armley) pike are one of there main speices the look after them really well. if a pike can grown to 41lb they must be some other huge ones and every time i walk past it there is someone always fishing for pike.

Regards Gf

G

I am with you on this one Martin, killing fish is against my morals,
even when i go sea fishing the lot goes back into the water for the other angler, be it a 1lb cod or 10lb cod,
But there are rule to be adhered to on certain waters, no way would i fish on a water that states that you have to kill any pike landed, NO WAY,

Andy

i'm going fishing

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
I totally agree with u all, like esox.20 says if that was a 20 pound carp or a 6 pound bream then there would be fireworks all over the place.

Go fishing have a good day and return everything u catch back into the water ALIVE and well

tight lines

Ray

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The one thing that quite a few people forget is that Pike rarely feed on healthy fish, tending to choose the sick, injured or dead rather than chase a perfectly fit 'supper'
Pike also control their own. All too often a jack will become a meal for it's elder. A fishery devoid of predators can all too often become a fishery full of small fish all searching for that morsel to eat and a hotbed of disease which is what happened back in the 1970's when Pike Culling was the norm.
Should you kill them? Personally I'd have to say a resounding No. If a fishery is having problems with Pike - time will be it's healer.

- Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yes i know about the ruling on cats, grassies & ide.

The reason for this is IMO stupid but then again if it was a rule that all non native species be killed the fishing in britain would be FUBAR'd big time.

Cyprinus carpio aren't native to Britian (they are from asia) introduced into europe by the romans (probably), they were brought over to Britian by the monks in the 14th century to be bred as food.

Any committee running a club should at least make themselves aware of the lifestyles of the fish they stock (or are naturally stocked) & work from that.

Like i said though that is just my opinion.

Alan

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
On the subject of killing Pike, cop for this story::>

Pike survives California government bombing campaign

Officials in California say poisoning, electrocution and bombing have failed to wipe out pike which are killing off native fish species.

The predator was introduced by an unknown angler in 1994 and is threatening California's struggling salmon industry.

A recent attempt to bomb the fish out of existence only succeeded in killing those within 25ft of the explosion.

A grid of explosive cord was floated on the lake's surface and detonated but ended up driving most of the predators into hiding.

The Times says the state has spent 15 million trying to get the fish out of Lake Davis.

Each can weigh up to 20 pounds and grow to around three feet long.

One scheme to part drain the lake and add poison led to a million dollar compensation pay-out because the treatment was later found to have links with cancer.

There are now plans to poison it again, the paper says

quote:The Times says the state has spent 15 million trying to get the fish out of Lake Davis.

How many return flights would that have got us, 'cause I for one would have taken time out to go and catch a few for them.

Dave

norm

what do you mean dave pike culling was the norm?

i would not cull a fly (lol)

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Cyprinind Boy. I am disgusted by your comments. You try to liken this wanton killing by giving examples BUT you state that the cats, ide etc had no documentation. Hell this contravines the law of the land so as much as I hate this then as the law stands its legal.
Re parasites why then after your comment there is only one on the list and that affects salmonids. That argo syllous which does affect coarse species is recognised by the E.A. An example of this is that fish in Blithfield Res. have this parasite, any fish taken can only be moved to waters already having this parasite.
Re ...inconseqential club how do you know this it may be that its the largest club in the area irrespective of this, the fact that a club has this rule is enough to prove its still living in the dark ages. It needs to be brought in to the modern day.
In fact on rereading your post I find lots of discrepancies in your statements. Its also strange that you are alone in what appears to be sole support for the killing of fish.Every example you give is the E.A following laid down guide lines and awaiting the out come of scientific tests.

chill out go fishing

Cyprinid_boy

quote: I do not condone killing fish, my job is with all species

quote: you are alone in what appears to be sole support for the killing of fish

This was an obvious typing error. Of course i condone the killing of fish

quote:That argo syllous which does affect coarse species is recognised by the E.A.

quote: There is only one category 1 parasite on the disease list

Just for your info esox, Argulus is NOT a catagory 1 disease unless it has changed today. Other than that all seems to be in order. Thanks for reading my post and im sorry for being allowed an opinion. I shall keep quiet in the future and just let everyone agree in harmony - how exciting.

Cyp.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote: I shall keep quiet in the future and just let everyone agree in harmony - how exciting.

Cyp.

I'll put a pound on it that you won't Mat, lol

Dave

doughnut

Have to give mi view on this one!

A local club kill the pike in my local canal and this really pisses me off, if a club does adopt this policy then I guess there is nothing you can do about it as they control the water.....

I can assure you though if this was the policy on a water I fished and I see someone who didn't have the stomach to do the job properly and just left it to sufficate on the bank at the very least I would tell to do the job properly and at worst I think I may lose my temper and insure that they leave the water.

All in all I'd say this practice should be oulawed and the
EA should give more help to waters who want to remove predators and should them move them to another water, they seem to do very little for our licence money as far as I can see.

Any of us that don't like a clubs policy towards pike should simply vote with our feet and not join them or fish their waters and encourage others to do the same.

C'ya, Robin.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
From a distance, I've read this with interest, as recently, looking around new clubs and scenes, I've come across 2 clubs that still advocate killing Pike to protect their silvers and this old style thinking is deeply ingrained!

However, I also have found some Pike Anglers, who use ALL species of coarse for live and dead baiting! yet are probably most vociferous in 'Save the Pike' campaigns.

It seems to me too that Mat was simply saying that "Why waste energy pursuing 1 small group of boys in a condemnation campaign when a simple contact to the club may get them to redress their thinking, (whereas open criticism just puts peoples backs up)
Why not devote the time to getting the EA to redress much greater fish killing practices.

The EA does respond and on another forum, I had posted the inequalities shown to disabled Anglers, which elicited a reply direct from the EA themselves, giving reasons and intentions for future improvements!

Seems to me a much more sensible approach and 1 much more likely to succeed than mouthing off against a club and a few kids that will never even read these posts and therefore nothing will happen.

If we all wrote direct to the EA with Mats instances, Who Knows? they may start to improve their methods and Image and save a far greater fish kill than a few Pike!
And I am one who has come to love Pike and fishing for them!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev

I think you'll find that the "mouthing off" at the kids isn't whats happening, we need the kids in this sport so i can't see any real angler trying to make kids feel unwanted can you?
In all honesty i don't even see the kids who killed the Pike as being responsible, if they have been told to kill the fish they will assume they are doing the right thing & following the rules.

If the clubs name (had a club owned the water) been put on here for us to see we could all have written to the secretary & given our views on the killing of Pike.

Maybe just maybe that would have done some good.
As for the EA & their policy's we all know that 90% of what they do is set by others not the agency themselves.

I would suggest writting to your local MP or even bambi (Tony Blair) himself, just think of the amount of votes he would lose if all the anglers went against him.

Alan

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Alan!

Yeah!
Losing Bambi votes is the best suggestion all topic lol,
See you soon

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!