Do you remember.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Toma's thread on "Best bit of kit" jogged the old grey matter a bit, how many of you can remember 'The Roach Pole'

It was a fibreglass pole measured in feet, 27 foot was a big one, it weighed an absolute ton, was near on impossible to handle in the wind let alone hold for a match duration. At the business end was a 'crook' (thats the tip end - come to think of it, it could have been both ends, lol
).
The 'Crook' was a bent piece of steel that was glued to the tip and had a length of elastic tied to it to which you then tied your line. You can imagine the tangles that everyone who used one got into !

Given the disadvantages like bad backs, Geoff Capes style shoulders and the tangles, they were an effective piece of kit - the predecessor to today's pole.

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yup

i remember them
I had a green silstar one in the mid eighties (in fact i think i've still got it somewhere) & you're right Dave the did wiegh a bit

& now like you i've gotta go to work
(working weekends is really killing my fishing)

Alan
You've just been moderated

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
"Now we really are giving our ages away"
quote:how many of you can remember 'The Roach Pole'

I still have my original Garbolino one,been used so much that all the graphics on the butt have worn off.
As for the "crook",i think you will find that most were a push fit and were made from aluminium not steel.These are still used quite a bit on the continent.I've still got one somewhere.( Who said i'm a hoarder nono.gif )
The internal elastic system is very much a British innovation,that has been adopted by our continental cousins.
Cheers,
Peter. thumbsup.gif

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Watcha mean "showing our age"??????

I'm only 30 (oh my god i've just realised I'M OLD)

Oh & as for the end i had a black loop/plastic eye that had a grey rubber sleave which pushed over the tip of the pole.

Alan
You've just been moderated

Alan Roe

Yes I had one of the original Steads 'Steadfast' poles 8metres in fab fibreglass Heavy but solid this was in the late 70s....
Trogg your'e 30 and old I'm 48 but look at least 10 years younger than you!!!

Cheers
Alan

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
But EVERYONE looks 10years younger than TROGG,Don't they?
jump.gif jump.gif jump.gif jump.gif
Methinks i might get modded
Peter. naughty.gif

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.