Do you have the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LandnWeigh

I have just put in a patent for a new ultralight fishing pole that is filled with helium. it is basically theory work and no prototype has been developed, although firms like Maver, Daiwa and Garbolino have shown interest. Can anybody work out the following: if you have a 13m pole, and you take off the top kit say 2m, leaving you 11m, the pole now weighs 600 grams with air inside, the butt end has a inside diameter of 70mm and the smallest end has a inside diameter of 10mm. How heavy would the pole weigh if it was filled with helium. Do not ask me for the answer as I do not know it yet.

LandnWeigh

Hi chaps, the pole sections would all be individually capped off with a gas input valve at the smallest end. It would also be supplied with a small helium gauge tester and one small refill canister with extras supplied at fishing shops. Smoking would be ok as helium is not flammable like hydrogen and the sections will not be under pressure as helium starts to turn into a liquid form when pressure occurs. It would purely have a lightly higher pressure of helium in, to when air was inside. Can anybody calculate the weight. The only disadvantage is that the sections will not slide inside one another but not all poles do. Nobody will mind carrying a bigger specially designed holdall thats ultralite.

LandnWeigh

If you drop the pole and get a leak only one section would leak as they are all seperate units. And if you dropped it and got a leak its no different to dropping a normal pole obviously you'll have a hairline and a normal pole would break. Atleast by checking with your helium gauge you'll know your poles damaged, before you get a fish on it and it breaks.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
L&W I don't know the gravitational mass of Helium but the volume of the pole will be 0.0164 cubic metres if that helps
(Assuming a negligable wall thickness) [:)]

Dave
Datafile2.asp

Free MD's Stickers

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Please keep it on one thread [:)]

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/7403

Thanks

Status