Do you have a problem with white label tackle?

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter
When it comes to beads / swivels / clips / links etc etc... bah whatever it's not even worth going there, it's a discussion for another topic.

I'm talking about white label reels, nets, luggage/storage etc etc -

Where companies are clearly not designing and having the product produced, but are simply being invited in someway and striking deals to put their sticker on it and sell it as their own, along side other companies.

Some companies may even try to differentiate themselves on some products and negotiate with the factories - "we'll take 20,000, but we want ours 2cm wider and for it to click 3 times instead of 4", and in other cases it really is exactly the same product from exactly the same batch, and the only difference is the sticker.

Some of these products truly are great, I have a 3m Rapala carbon telescopic landing net which weighs nothing and retracts and folds to to 45cm... it is the absolute dogs danglers... but Fox also market the same product line, clearly off the same production line from the same factory - and I do have an issue with it.

I think even Daiwa have some involvement in this type of production for their most budget friendly product lines, but maybe to a lesser extent than some of the others... I wouldn't like to think that Daiwa would go as far as doing it with a reel, but I could be wrong...

This is the main reason why I have a strong preference for buying from companies like Shimano and Delkim, you can rest assured that your product is the original, you can't get it anywhere else - it's bespoke for Delkim customers... where as who knows what Fox, Nash, Korda, ESP and their sister Match brands are selling to us, it seems all out of the same Chinese parts bin in some cases, sometimes it's not even hidden, but I often wonder what generic parts are hidden on seemingly "original" products, the ones that are not immediately obvious but we'd be surprised to find out, there's a lot of internals and components in fishing tackle, like I said - for some stuff it really doesn't matter, but for some other stuff it does bother me.

Do you have a take on this?

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
I have no problem with who makes what for whatever purpose I need it to fill....It has to fulfil its purpose for a price I'm prepared to pay...End of.....Much more important things in life to consider...(y)

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter
I have no problem with who makes what for whatever purpose I need it to fill....It has to fulfil its purpose for a price I'm prepared to pay...End of.....Much more important things in life to consider...(y)
Considering the reel you're going to buy isn't something you should not do - just because there's more important things in life than fishing reels.

There's often a price difference amongst these types of generic / white label products too, probably a reflection of how much has been spent on marketing by a given company... so you should be at least be considering it on that front if nothing else.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I'm with @Total on this one - it really doesn't affect me ... I purchase the items that I think will do the job if they are an acceptable price.
I can't be done with spending loads of time researching and comparing to find "the best" as familiarity is much more important to me - so I'm confident in the limits that I can place on the tackle in practice ... rather than theory.
That all comes from the Kevin Ashurst mantra - the tackle should feel like an extension of your arm!
That does mean that I tend to use pretty old tackle most of the time ... i've had more than one angler ask if I'm running an antique collection!! :)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
As long as the piece of tackle does the job that I want it to do at a price I'm happy to pay for it and I'm happy that it will meet those needs and demands then the label makes no difference to me.

Total

Site Supporter
Considering the reel you're going to buy isn't something you should not do - just because there's more important things in life than fishing reels.

There's often a price difference amongst these types of generic / white label products too, probably a reflection of how much has been spent on marketing by a given company... so you should be at least be considering it on that front if nothing else.
I like what you post and appreciate the direction your thoughts come from....You seem a decent enough fella..(y)

The last sentence in your OP says, "Do you have a take on this?"......My original reply was my 'take on this'.....No more, no less....;)(y)

SeanB

Site Supporter
I'm with the other guys on this, as long as it does what it should and is good value for the price paid then I'm happy.

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter
You can also find this in a lot of other industries, notably camping.

Helinox produce some very high end compact camping chairs and beds - of top quality, reliability, specs and warranty, their designs are highly copied in China and mass produce for 30 other companies sourcing the copy straight off the Alibaba production line and sticking their logo on it.

I'm not saying I don't buy these products, like I said - I own the Rapala Carbon Jetty net, I also bought an Advanta Quick Cradle not too long ago which is the same product that can be found with no less than 10 other companies logo on it - it does do the job, it was a great price, I'm just saying overall/bigger picture I don't personally like this phenomenon within the industry, for me the price really has to be spectacular value otherwise I'll avoid it and find an original alternative product.

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter
You can buy the best tackle going but in the hands of someone who can't use it properly, it's the same as budget price
That's not really anything to do with the point, I mean sure - speak up on what ever you'd like, but what I'm asking is what people think about companies quickbucking customers and all sticking their own logo on the same product, skimping out and being lazy / not bespoking their own designs.

mbuna_matt

Site Supporter
Happens with big stuff, the VW sharran, Ford galaxy + one fron saat, but couldn't spell it. All identical, although I assume with different engines......

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
It has everything to do with buying tackle as advertising/marketing pushes the sales of brands and convinces the purchaser that things will be different by spending more money.

Be it angling or tvs most items contain the same materials/components and within reason will perform the same way.
They will even be made in the same factory at times.
The skill is in the marketeer by convincing the purchaser that the higher priced item by x amount is x times better.
In a lot of cases it isn't.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I had a seatbox and wanted some extra drawers and units for it .
There was a tackle rep from another brand in the shop , He told me his brand drawers/units would fit my box along with other makes that had the same locking catches if I didn't mind a different colour,and his brands name sticker on the catches , The stickers were easy to remove . He said made at same place .
It turned out his brand was cheaper than the others as well.
I had heard about the drawers being made at the same place by another tackle shop owner.

bryan white

Site Supporter
Look at the body shape of some different branded reels, poles and rods, you can at times see where they were made
Early Nash reels were shimano Sahara’s
Sonic rods were I believe prodigy blanks
Reglass, how many tackle companies do they supply with poles
List goes on

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm not well versed in what's made by who.

A reel will come out for instance, and people will say it's a copy of another reel made by unknown chinese brand. For instance, I will have a Preston Extremity and well pleased with it but people tell me I could get it cheaper when it's branded Chinese?

Is that what you're getting at?

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
When it comes to beads / swivels / clips / links etc etc... bah whatever it's not even worth going there, it's a discussion for another topic.

I'm talking about white label reels, nets, luggage/storage etc etc -

Where companies are clearly not designing and having the product produced, but are simply being invited in someway and striking deals to put their sticker on it and sell it as their own, along side other companies.

Some companies may even try to differentiate themselves on some products and negotiate with the factories - "we'll take 20,000, but we want ours 2cm wider and for it to click 3 times instead of 4", and in other cases it really is exactly the same product from exactly the same batch, and the only difference is the sticker.

Some of these products truly are great, I have a 3m Rapala carbon telescopic landing net which weighs nothing and retracts and folds to to 45cm... it is the absolute dogs danglers... but Fox also market the same product line, clearly off the same production line from the same factory - and I do have an issue with it.

I think even Daiwa have some involvement in this type of production for their most budget friendly product lines, but maybe to a lesser extent than some of the others... I wouldn't like to think that Daiwa would go as far as doing it with a reel, but I could be wrong...

This is the main reason why I have a strong preference for buying from companies like Shimano and Delkim, you can rest assured that your product is the original, you can't get it anywhere else - it's bespoke for Delkim customers... where as who knows what Fox, Nash, Korda, ESP and their sister Match brands are selling to us, it seems all out of the same Chinese parts bin in some cases, sometimes it's not even hidden, but I often wonder what generic parts are hidden on seemingly "original" products, the ones that are not immediately obvious but we'd be surprised to find out, there's a lot of internals and components in fishing tackle, like I said - for some stuff it really doesn't matter, but for some other stuff it does bother me.

Do you have a take on this?
Yes it’s called capitalism which gives us choice at cheaper prices due to competitive markets.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Aint bother me none. I would and do happily pay the excess for my tackle to match up the best i can.