Do you ever get 'that feeling'?

JayD

After hobbling about for a week or so with a bad back/sciatica, and missing the first weeks of the season, I thought 'right' I'm going next chance I get'. The weather decided to change, so I put it hold, checked the forecast regularly and decided on yesterday. On Tuesday morning I woke up not feeling 'right', nothing specific just aching, and feeling tired and lethargic. My wife wanted to call at a few shops, so I added a trip to Bobco to the itinerary. I hadn't been since Feb so wasn't surprised to see a queue outside. I parked up, left the wife in the car, and joined the queue. I stood in line for about 10 mins, when a guy came out and told us that there'd been a power cut, he'd still got served, but it took longer because they had to add up manually. Another 5 mins a guy came out and said that they couldn't use the card machines so cash only. Now I haven't used, or even thought about paying cash for about 3 months, so I nipped to the car to ask if the wife had any, I got some notes, and turned to see that another half dozen had arrived, and I was back of the queue! I stood there for another 10 mins and was told that the 'sparky' had arrived but wasn't sure how long to fix it. I decided to do the other shopping and call back later. When I came back, I was second in the queue, but inside. They have a good system, where they regulate the number of customers, by the number of baskets, you aren't allowed in without one. I picked up my bits and pieces, and went to get my maggots, a pint of red, and one of bronze. The guy said the bronze were starting to turn, so gave me an extra pint for free!

I felt 'not right' Wednesday morning, I couldn't understand, I hadn't been fishing for 4 months, but wasn't looking forward to it at all. I eventually set off at 9-o-clock, got to the end of the street, realised I'd forgot my phone, so went back. Set off again, got about a half mile away, realised I'd left my waterproof leggings behind, a quick turn round to pick them up, and set off again. I got to Wetherby about 10 only to realise that there was a match later, on the length I fancied, so set off for another I hadn't been to. I took a wrong turning, had to double back to the right one, then drove straight past the entrance so had to double back again!

When I got down the lane to the water, I was the only one there, and found a perfect looking swim I could park next to, things were looking up. The river was up slightly, with a tinge of colour, and there was a slight upstream breeze, a perfect 'pin swim! Out came the old Match Aerial, on went a 3bb stick, set to trip bottom at just over 4ft, and 'we're off'. It was a pleasure to be able to put the stick through perfectly, a few maggots each cast, and I was enjoying it. I was still enjoying it an hour or so later, but something was missing......... bites, I hadn't had one, not even a minnow! I'd tried all the usual changes, but nothing, so I had a coffee, and a think. I'd had a couple of young ducks come begging and they'd gone up behind some weed upstream. There was an almighty splash, and one of them shot across the river making a right racket, and a line of bubbles followed something swimming down past my feet, and into the willow. The next half hour was filled with screeching, crying, and splashing in the weeds up from me.

Eventually a wet furry head emerged from the willow, and a mink cautiously swam up past my feet, towards the racket, then reappeared towing a smaller one by the ear, that was screaming in protest. They disappeared into the willow, followed by another one, and all went quiet. I couldn't be bothered moving, so carried on fishing. Third cast, the float shot under, and a grayling of about a half pound, graced my net, missed a bite next cast, then bumped a decent fish, the next. Then followed a bite a chuck, from minnows. I upped the feed, hoping to feed them off, and then started getting a few small chub in between the minnows. I finished off getting into a bad tangle and because it was late, I put a bomb out with worm while I started putting my gear away, the rod tip was dancing, until it went round proper, and I struck into another grayling, another followed, and then It started raining so I packed up.

A strange day, I thought I'd be 'buzzing' after not going for so long, but I felt indifferent, and while I enjoyed fishing the pin again, the lack of bites didn't bother me much. I'm now sat here wondering if I should bother going tomorrow. I've a pint of red maggots, and a pint of hemp left over from yesterday, so the only thing stopping me is me. Anyone else have that feeling?

John.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I know exactly how you feel . All I can say is it is better to go and regret it than not go and regret that !

JayD

I know exactly how you feel . All I can say is it is better to go and regret it than not go and regret that !

That's true Kevin.
I just hope that all the mishaps that happened before I went, apart from at the tackle shop of course, are just a coincidence, and not the result of my bad 'feeling'.

John.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
We all have days like that ! At least you realized in time you had gone wrong and didn't drive on for an hour before realizing it. At the end of the day you got there safe and sound and got home the same. Plus of course you didn't blank !

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Enjoyed the story and yes I feel like that sometimes, especially at the moment having to balance work I'm getting quite tired after I go. Rivers just tire me out more I think combined with the dull weather. I take a bit of a break and concentrate on getting my jobs done and soon I'll be feeling it again.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m always excited to get down the river, the only thing that other dulls it is the weather but tbh in the current situation there’s so little else to do that I’ve been going in weather that I wouldn’t normally bother with. Most the time it hasn’t done the fishing any favours but my best day so far this year was in pretty unfriendly weather so guess you get rewarded once in a while. Going to go again tomorrow and tbh the forecast doesn’t look great but nothing ventured nothing gained and hopefully I get rewarded again.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I think most of us have had the sort of day you describe so well, and likely will do so again, but we are still here and drowning maggots, and hopefully so will you be. With me work commitments are no longer an issue, but I have to say that while I still enjoy my fishing, I was always champing at the bit to "get away from it all" on a Saturday, and relax on a river much more so than today when I have any day of any week to choose from

JayD

Thanks for the encouragement lads, and glad to see it's not just me.
My opening post is not the end to my mishaps however. When I got home last night it was raining, and I couldn't be bothered to put all my gear away in the shed. When I went to get the rest of it from the car today, I noticed a bag that I could have sworn I'd put away last night. I looked and realised in my haste that I had put another bag in the shed, and it had contained an empty maggot box, the full one was still in the boot. As I lifted the bag, several maggots dropped out, it looks like the box had slid over and some maggots had squeezed out. The next half hour was taken up by stripping everything out of the boot, including the spare wheel. I found about 3 dozen maggots crawling around, but luckily most of the escapees had stayed in the bag, (I hope). Time and warm weather will prove it one way or another.
I did think about Daves post saying about 2,700 maggots per pint, :unsure: but then remembered Smiffys post about smaller maggots, and realised that there will be more than that, so decided against counting how many were left.:(:)
I think I might risk it and go tomorrow, but to a stillwater or canal, the Wharfes come up over a metre, and is still rising. Things must get a bit better....aren't they?

John

Cobweb

Site Supporter
The end to a not so perfect day? You made me recall that time when I parked my maggots in a cupboard overnight and forgot to secure the lid properly. Noticing a few red boys wriggling around, gave the game away around 3am when I got up, but I sorted that problem, grabbed to box and hightailed it to the venue. A few days later my wife started complaining about a plague of bluebottles.

After that I stored them on the floor of the garage

bluemack

Site Supporter
After hobbling about for a week or so with a bad back/sciatica, and missing the first weeks of the season, I thought 'right' I'm going next chance I get'. The weather decided to change, so I put it hold, checked the forecast regularly and decided on yesterday. On Tuesday morning I woke up not feeling 'right', nothing specific just aching, and feeling tired and lethargic. My wife wanted to call at a few shops, so I added a trip to Bobco to the itinerary. I hadn't been since Feb so wasn't surprised to see a queue outside. I parked up, left the wife in the car, and joined the queue. I stood in line for about 10 mins, when a guy came out and told us that there'd been a power cut, he'd still got served, but it took longer because they had to add up manually. Another 5 mins a guy came out and said that they couldn't use the card machines so cash only. Now I haven't used, or even thought about paying cash for about 3 months, so I nipped to the car to ask if the wife had any, I got some notes, and turned to see that another half dozen had arrived, and I was back of the queue! I stood there for another 10 mins and was told that the 'sparky' had arrived but wasn't sure how long to fix it. I decided to do the other shopping and call back later. When I came back, I was second in the queue, but inside. They have a good system, where they regulate the number of customers, by the number of baskets, you aren't allowed in without one. I picked up my bits and pieces, and went to get my maggots, a pint of red, and one of bronze. The guy said the bronze were starting to turn, so gave me an extra pint for free!

I felt 'not right' Wednesday morning, I couldn't understand, I hadn't been fishing for 4 months, but wasn't looking forward to it at all. I eventually set off at 9-o-clock, got to the end of the street, realised I'd forgot my phone, so went back. Set off again, got about a half mile away, realised I'd left my waterproof leggings behind, a quick turn round to pick them up, and set off again. I got to Wetherby about 10 only to realise that there was a match later, on the length I fancied, so set off for another I hadn't been to. I took a wrong turning, had to double back to the right one, then drove straight past the entrance so had to double back again!

When I got down the lane to the water, I was the only one there, and found a perfect looking swim I could park next to, things were looking up. The river was up slightly, with a tinge of colour, and there was a slight upstream breeze, a perfect 'pin swim! Out came the old Match Aerial, on went a 3bb stick, set to trip bottom at just over 4ft, and 'we're off'. It was a pleasure to be able to put the stick through perfectly, a few maggots each cast, and I was enjoying it. I was still enjoying it an hour or so later, but something was missing......... bites, I hadn't had one, not even a minnow! I'd tried all the usual changes, but nothing, so I had a coffee, and a think. I'd had a couple of young ducks come begging and they'd gone up behind some weed upstream. There was an almighty splash, and one of them shot across the river making a right racket, and a line of bubbles followed something swimming down past my feet, and into the willow. The next half hour was filled with screeching, crying, and splashing in the weeds up from me.

Eventually a wet furry head emerged from the willow, and a mink cautiously swam up past my feet, towards the racket, then reappeared towing a smaller one by the ear, that was screaming in protest. They disappeared into the willow, followed by another one, and all went quiet. I couldn't be bothered moving, so carried on fishing. Third cast, the float shot under, and a grayling of about a half pound, graced my net, missed a bite next cast, then bumped a decent fish, the next. Then followed a bite a chuck, from minnows. I upped the feed, hoping to feed them off, and then started getting a few small chub in between the minnows. I finished off getting into a bad tangle and because it was late, I put a bomb out with worm while I started putting my gear away, the rod tip was dancing, until it went round proper, and I struck into another grayling, another followed, and then It started raining so I packed up.

A strange day, I thought I'd be 'buzzing' after not going for so long, but I felt indifferent, and while I enjoyed fishing the pin again, the lack of bites didn't bother me much. I'm now sat here wondering if I should bother going tomorrow. I've a pint of red maggots, and a pint of hemp left over from yesterday, so the only thing stopping me is me. Anyone else have that feeling?

John.
Every time i go in the last couple of years,definately losing interest but drag myself out.