Do you ask if you can fish next to someone?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Its the only trouble with fishing the float on the Severn (or any now almost commercial like in busyness river), great way of fishing, but always the potential for it to happen, although i would say the match anglers cope, but a decent run is an advantage and great if you can get it. If the stretch was clear and loads of pegs then i would be a bit miffed and i wouldn't do it to do someone else. If however it is the only peg left, and talking in any setting here, and i have planned to go fishing, then i wouldn't blame anyone for taking it and i would myself too. Although it doesn't usually affect me, i feel i earn the right by getting up at ridiculous o clock to have the pick of pegs, if someone wants to have a lay in, then up to them, you take the risk, and its a big risk this year with so many out and about.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Suppose that is factor with quicker rivers like the Severn you can do genuine long trotting. On the more sedatory paced rivers around here it's more I guess short to medium trotting so you rarely run out of your own peg let alone into another's.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
On the weir most people will ask and usually say something along the lines of "Do you mind if I fish the next peg down as when I fish that peg I usually cast downstream". I always say, "no problem, I will cast further upstream". Never fished the downstream peg and if it was up to me it wouldn't be a peg, can only vaguely imagine being told by someone that they were casting down there and so I couldn't fish it if I asked though.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Done a little diagram. No problem when Peg 1 is trotting (can't trot from Peg 2). Ideal leger casting area is circled. It's basically in front of Peg 2 so their dibs when fishing it, but ideally cast to from Peg 1. Bear in mind sometimes there's a Peg 3 on the opposite bank.
Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 20.42.21.png

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Suppose that is factor with quicker rivers like the Severn you can do genuine long trotting. On the more sedatory paced rivers around here it's more I guess short to medium trotting so you rarely run out of your own peg let alone into another's.

That's the thing, although you can shot correctly to a degree to be fishing quite quickly into a run, balanced against presentation, the pace of the river even with slowing it down to just less than the surface flow sometimes means a run if restricted is not even 30 seconds sometimes. Massive advantage and more pleasure to being able to search through a longer run and less tiring physically on the cast and retrieve factor.

Nice when you can get it though, but you can't ensure it up there these days on the places i know the OP goes, through the ignorance of others (if there are other pegs free) or just purely down to the make up of much of the places.

One thing i try to do is get there early and pick wisely if i am on the float, it won't always be the best peg, but weighing up that a good float peg isn't necessarily the best feeder pegs which the majority of Barbel anglers (including myself if feedering) pursue can go in your favour, as can days where you have opted for a float approach is the day where the fish may favour a moving bait. Sometimes i try and select a peg for the float (or feeder for that matter) where the one next to it is un-fishable given the level of the river, again not always easy to find, but can help with ensuring that days pleasure of at least having some water to go at.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Some good sense above. I wouldn't fish that peg again on the float on a busy day as I know the next peg will inevitably get taken. It's a fast stretch and I was feeding hemp to try to bring the fish closer to me but it was still only a very short trot and most fish were, slightly awkwardly, coming from almost in front of the next angler.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As much as anything the reasons for the short trots here are partly due to their lengths often being limited by weed but mostly due to the slow flow combined with depths of generally only 5-6ft meaning that the feed doesn't go particularly far before settling and/or finding the fish so you tend to get the bites fairly early in the trot as much as anywhere else. If you think of a swim as being split into say 3 or 4 zones you'll get as many bites in the early zones as the latter ones most days.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
If it's a proper peg on a pond then I don't think you need to ask, but if its a swim on a lake or a river then it's courtesy to. I wouldn't plonk myself next to someone on a proper peg on an empty lake though.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
It's rare that I fish anywhere that is packed out with anglers but what I don't like when I'm fishing say a 30 peg lake, and I'm the only one fishing, (which is not unusual in winter) and someone comes on the lake and takes the next peg to you......another 29 pegs he could have chosen....:bash:

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
I remember fishing a canal style lake at Cheshire fishing about 20m across.

I was first there fishing a mid peg and doing well fishing midway. A lad turns up says hello asks me how I’m doing we exchange pleasantaries. He then walks off to find one of the 20 plus pegs that are left.(plus 150+ pegs on the other empty lakes) He proceeds to walk all the way around the lake and picks the peg directly opposite, pushes a pole out and starts fishing about 3m from me. I didn’t say anything as it was that weird I thought he may of had a condition. I just moved a few pegs down and caught just as much.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
On a river trot its about trying to create a feeding and bite zone, which you can dictate to a degree, with where (how far up or downstream) you place any intial feed at the start and feed during/prior to each run, then trying to present the hookbait with it. I like baitdropping for the former and it can help in tight swims where you need that zone early in the trot.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I suppose as a match angler I am used to having neighbours so it really doesn't bother me if someone takes an adjacent peg. Similarly, if available pegs are limited I see no reason to ask permission to sit on a vacant peg. That I fish mainly permanently pegged commercials or similar has a bearing.

On rivers there is, I feel, an unwritten etiquette that you should not crowd someone already fishing. But how close is acceptable is a personal judgement. Just because a peg has been established on the bank does not mean it is acceptable to fish it if the next upstream peg is close by. As I say, not knowing etiquette, local unwritten rules and poor personal judgement mean that at times there can be conflict. And sometimes you don't ask so you can't get a negative answer.

davej1981

To me it would depend on how close the pegs are to each other and how many free pegs there are. If there are loads of free pegs or they are very tight i would definitely ask. However if theres not any other free pegs or theres alot of room between then i probably wouldnt ask. I think if when you start fishing the next peg is empty and you chose to fish in the boundaries of it then its a chance you take that someone may turn up at some point and fish it. It does irritate me when a venue is almost empty and someone sits right next to me just like when someone parks right next to me in an empty car park

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Done a little diagram. No problem when Peg 1 is trotting (can't trot from Peg 2). Ideal leger casting area is circled. It's basically in front of Peg 2 so their dibs when fishing it, but ideally cast to from Peg 1. Bear in mind sometimes there's a Peg 3 on the opposite bank.
Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 20.42.21.png
Sounds like it’s got busy down there Zerkalo ? Was it this popular before Covid hit ? Lovely diagram pal ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds like it’s got busy down there Zerkalo ? Was it this popular before Covid hit ? Lovely diagram pal ?

Yeah it's always been busy I think. Only lived here two years but always someone fishing there. I drove past it today and someone was fishing, looked a lovely colour after the rain too. I also drove past the Warks Avon as had a job in Evesham this morning and that looked lovely too, should have taken some tackle with me!

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
As with anything potentially controversial in a social situation -
I'm always respectful, polite, and well-mannered, I go out of my way to ensure that I'm never the instigator.

On the contrary - I deal with disrespect, impoliteness, and ill-mannered situations harshly, I'll give somebody a very short window of time to correct themselves before they'll need to put their money where their mouth is.

So, I'll always ask and make sure I'm good if I feel I could be intruding on anybodies fishing, and if the shoe is on the other foot - it depends on how much I feel they are taking the pss - as to whether they get told to jog on, or worse.

Last edited:

BlueKoi

I had a similar scenario last week at Sunbury on Thames. There is a small bit with some railings and a swim where you can normally get a couple of anglers but, it is a bit of a squeeze. There was one guy there already fishing with two rods out. I asked him if it would be ok to perch on the corner however, he said not really as he had one rod out upstream and another downstream. I didn't take offense and moved to another peg downstream.