Do you ask if you can fish next to someone?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Based on a situation I found myself in on the Severn.

It was a busy Saturday and most pegs would be taken by the end of the day. I was there early and had a bit of a walk but got a reasonable peg for trotting. Just downstream, probably 15m or so, there’s another well cut out peg. I was trotting down in front of that peg for about 10 minutes when someone else came and put themselves on that peg without saying hello to me.

I wasn’t too bothered as it’s another peg, but this left me in the situation of trotting in front of them as it was only just downstream. I continued to trot as he was fishing a barbel rod and I was catching probably just in front of him. Had he asked me I would have said “of course you can fish there, it’s a peg, but I am trotting so you might see my float”.

Was I right to carry on trotting or should I have accepted that he was fishing there now and I no longer had a trot? I did for a while anyway, but had to shorten my run through, and eventually got out a barbel rod instead.

Another situation I’m often in is on the weir I fish, there’s another peg just downstream and one on the opposite bank. You’re not meant to fish on the opposite bank as it’s private land but people still do anyway before they get moved on by the farmer. 90% of people will at least say hello and ask if they can fish one of the other pegs. I always say “yes, of course”. But to me it is just courtesy as from the one main peg you can be casting to the whole of the weir and have to shorten your cast when someone else fishes. It doesn’t really bother me but to me it is just common courtesy to ask as no one is ever going to say no.

I would do the same on a tightly pegged commercial if no other pegs were available and it was safe to do so.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Yeah - always polite. Guy sat down at a peg that was 90 degrees to mine the other week on one of our club waters. He asked me where I was fishing & was it okay if he cast his feeder across me. I was only fishing a short pole anyway so it was no problem. Thought it was decent of him to ask though. It's nice to be nice.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Glad it’s not just me but I think I should also bear in mind that it might not be the best peg to go for if I want to trot on a busy day in future, fortunately it’s getting colder so the busy days are behind us. Some people I think are just quiet and worry that the person will say no, however unlikely.

I’m glad it’s not busy when I fish commercials in winter as I often fish a feeder on very small ponds.

Anecdotally, one day on the weir and two lots of people came and fished the other pegs without asking. 2 people downstream with a group of mates watching, and 3 people on the opposite bank. It’s always a bit of a disappointment but inevitable when busy. But when the 3 people who were fishing the opposite bank finished, they came across the bridge and gave me 3 pints of red maggots they had finished with! So they didn’t ask but then gave me some bait which I needed on that day.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was fishing on the Oaks lake at Alders the day after the JJL match and sneakily bagged Peg 1.
The lake filled up quite quickly and two lads came and set up two rod pods on peg 2 and 3, pegs that hadn't produced Carp the day before, in fact tbh they need converting into a turning circle for cars coming down the hill, but that's by the by lol.

I was having a pretty good day on the peg, a refreshing change from the day before, and the lads were having a mare.
I even told them where I'd caught from that peg previously but it didn't help.
The lad fishing the other side of them had had a few throughout the day, and to rub salt in to their wounds I bagged a 19lb'er late on to top about 150lb of Carp from my peg and had to ask to borrow their scales as I didn't have mine with me. The lad on 4 obliged with a few photos as my phone was over in the pickup on charge.

Anyway, one of the lads told me it was their first time on the lake and they were only there for the day, would I mind if he cast over to the island in front of me, he'd be happy with just a bite let alone a fish.
I asked him to give me an hour as I was fishing that area, but once I'd had enough I moved my gear to oneside and invited him onto the peg - 'fill your boots' , even showing him where to put his rigs, bait, etc. It worked by all accounts.

There's nothing wrong with politeness it gets you a long way, nothing wrong with asking

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I was fishing on the Oaks lake at Alders the day after the JJL match and sneakily bagged Peg 1.
The lake filled up quite quickly and two lads came and set up two rod pods on peg 2 and 3, pegs that hadn't produced Carp the day before, in fact tbh they need converting into a turning circle for cars coming down the hill, but that's by the by lol.

I was having a pretty good day on the peg, a refreshing change from the day before, and the lads were having a mare.
I even told them where I'd caught from that peg previously but it didn't help.
The lad fishing the other side of them had had a few throughout the day, and to rub salt in to their wounds I bagged a 19lb'er late on to top about 150lb of Carp from my peg and had to ask to borrow their scales as I didn't have mine with me. The lad on 4 obliged with a few photos as my phone was over in the pickup on charge.

Anyway, one of the lads told me it was their first time on the lake and they were only there for the day, would I mind if he cast over to the island in front of me, he'd be happy with just a bite let alone a fish.
I asked him to give me an hour as I was fishing that area, but once I'd had enough I moved my gear to oneside and invited him onto the peg - 'fill your boots' , even showing him where to put his rigs, bait, etc. It worked by all accounts.

There's nothing wrong with politeness it gets you a long way, nothing wrong with asking
Didn’t happen without pictures Dave. 🤣🤣

JayD

It depends on how the 'pegs' are spaced, the speed of the river and the layout of the bank. I don't fish 'commercials' I'll add. If it's a straight featureless bank, and a decent flow, then I wouldn't even think of dropping in 15metres below them. If there were 15metres of trees, and/or it was a deeper slower river then I would definitely ask. I'll trot 40/50yds in some swims, but I wouldn't claim anything over 30 yds as in 'my swim'.

John.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The same bloke did speak to me in the car park as we were leaving, said in what I think was an unintentional pun, “quite a bleak day today” as no one caught any Barbel. I should have said “they were Dace”.

I found Dace have a tendency to come to the surface quickly, which was happening near enough in front of him for the time I was still float fishing.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
I wouldn't plonk myself next to someone ideally, especially the next downstream peg on a river.

But I'm not too fussed if someone does the same to me. I'm quite an amenable chap.

As long as they're not crashing 6oz lead in front of me or casting over top of my line 😀

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I wouldn't plonk myself next to someone ideally, especially the next downstream peg on a river.

But I'm not too fussed if someone does the same to me. I'm quite an amenable chap.

As long as they're not crashing 6oz lead in front of me or casting over top of my line 😀

This was the next two pegs down from where we fished at HL, a good gravel run according to the bailiff, they're quite close together so was good when I went Barbel fishing with my dad as we could chat to each other, neither of us caught anything from them though.

rudd

Site Supporter
Depends on the venue and peg.
TBH rarely have the issue.
If others about I ask just to check where they are casting to as many known spots are within range of various pegs.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Rare to be that close to someone on a river really I guess. Most pegs are defined by the vegetation so you’re rarely that close to the next one anyway and even if some are closer than others it’s not so bad when you can’t actually see them through the foliage.

Silver fan 82

Always good to ask first. I've experienced both people asking is it OK to fish next to me, where abouts I'm fishing and also people practically casting into my peg when I was fishing before they turned up.
Me personally if a venue is that busy then I'll fish elsewhere.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah when the main peg is taken at the weir I fish I don't bother. Means I've never fished the downstream peg.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
My last outing was on a doughnut lake. It was solid so I parked next to this chap and his face said it all. I got out the van and said “well you’re obviously not pleased to see me”
Just don’t get some people, it’s a commie, it’s going to get busy

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
OP- Don't see why he should have had to ask, the pegs are there for all to fish and you were in reality fishing two pegs ,peg boundaries are commonsense and what would have happened if he had said no to any request by you not to fish there?
And lets have no hypocrisy on this as saying I would have asked on here and doing it in reality are two separate things.
I bet we have all done it and if managed to secure one of the best pegs on the venue not given it a second thought.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A couple of different ways of looking at it! That's why I made the thread as it's not cut and dry. It's a peg and so obviously he has all the rights to fish there as much as me, just a bit of a disappointment when someone starts fishing in a spot you're already casting to. Closest I have came to doing this is on the canal when I plonk myself 30 or so meters up the cut so as not to have to carry my gear any further. Normally I would ask but don't say anything when not asked, just feel a little disappointed when not.