Do worms lose their edge in Winter?

Zerkalo

Just thinking about why Worms have stopped working so well on the river for me. I'm on about Lobs and Dendrobaenas not Bloodworm. I've found them a brilliant bait especially for Chub in Summer but recently I can barely buy a bite on them.

I've often wondered how many worms actually find there way into water as natural bait for the fish? One would assume not many as worms would not survive as well naturally if they were prone to going into lakes and rivers by themselves? But one could assume that there would be even less about naturally in Winter.

That could be one reason why they're not working as well at the moment, another could be they are too big for a fish's metabolism at this time of year and maggots have the edge.

That being said, isn't chopped worm meant to be a good winter bait on commercials (and canals to an extent) or does it lose its edge there too? Maybe it is just the river I fish at the moment and how it is fishing for me.

Zerkalo

I thought the same really, they should work well so I always take some with me, they just haven't been as productive on the river I fish for Chub and Barbel as maggots so was trying to reason why.

R0B

The opposite for me. The only thing they're interested in right now is worm and chopped worm and more worm. River roach. They're nuts about bread the rest of the year.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
No, they work well in winter Zerkalo. Chop worm tends to get you a perch or three when nothing else will work and if I was you I’d be legering a lobby in that weir of yours for chub maybe even a barbel right now. If it’s not flooded that is. Just nip the end off the lobby .... and a big hook. 👍

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Just thinking about why Worms have stopped working so well on the river for me. I'm on about Lobs and Dendrobaenas not Bloodworm. I've found them a brilliant bait especially for Chub in Summer but recently I can barely buy a bite on them.

I've often wondered how many worms actually find there way into water as natural bait for the fish? One would assume not many as worms would not survive as well naturally if they were prone to going into lakes and rivers by themselves? But one could assume that there would be even less about naturally in Winter.

That could be one reason why they're not working as well at the moment, another could be they are too big for a fish's metabolism at this time of year and maggots have the edge.

That being said, isn't chopped worm meant to be a good winter bait on commercials (and canals to an extent) or does it lose its edge there too? Maybe it is just the river I fish at the moment and how it is fishing for me.
Try tipping the worm with a flouro maggot ,the fish may be tucked up in different parts of the swim in slacker water .

John Step

Site Supporter
Seems like a no then! :) Must take worms to try again next time.
Worm is my go to back up winter bait. However most things do not work as well in winter. Far less bites on anything. Like anything else a smaller bait will often be better especially only half a worm. There will be more scent leaking and a less daunting meal for a fish that only wants a nibble.
Thats why pinkies work well in hard conditions sometimes when maggot doesn't.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My go to bait there is still a Bunch of maggots, but I will always try worm.
What is your target Zerkalo ? Are you wanting to catch anything or are you targeting a specific species ? Red worm, dendras and lobbies all work differently and attract different species. Personally if I was you I’d concentrate on lobby fishing for chub. Chub as you know will feed in the depths of winter whereas perch and ‘ eventually ‘ roach will switch off. A decent lobby will always out fish a bunch of dendras or reds for chub in my opinion. Good luck pal. 👍

Zerkalo

Yeah Lobworms (or half of one) seem a good bet, I have used them there before to good success but that was in summer and I stopped using them for a while when even those were getting smashed by small fish. Now the small fish have disappeared I have gone back to worm but they have been Dendrobaenas from my Wormery. Anything that swims is my Target really but generally stamp Chub, Barbel, Perch and Bream with Chub being the most common, although I've been getting as many Barbel as Chub recently!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My last river session just after the temperatures started to bomb was chopped worm & caster with a drop of predator plus drizzled in and I fished a section of worm tipped with a caster on the hook.

Had a great session whizzing out perch from around the marginal reeds & in between the moored boats, mostly small stuff but a few around 6-8oz

Always used to have good success with worm in the winter back on the stillwaters in Wales

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
In the fly fishing world, worm imitations win every time during December and January. Fish static with an occasional tweak for Chub and Barbel and trotted on the deck for Grayling and all other coarse species. Problem is with fly fishing we need to get in there with them. Bit cold around the nether regions after an hour or two crotch deep in ice cold water.:eek:

Zerkalo

I always had worms down as a great bait on commercials in Autumn and Spring but never been too sure about Winter but probably wrong.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I always had worms down as a great bait on commercials in Autumn and Spring but never been too sure about Winter but probably wrong.
Nope. They do work in winter also. At Messingham sands some of the winter matches were won with 30lb nets of perch with the odd carp thrown in on worm. Zerkalo mate, keep an open mind. Fish can and do surprise you at times in what they fancy to eat that day.