Do we ask too much from natural venues?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@OldTaff mate, have you ever noticed and repeat catches of fish at the park you fish? It has happened to me with both Tench and Crucians, probably more with the Tench than I realise, except for one with half a tail I've had twice. I must admit I'd rather catch unique fish but a catch is a catch and goes to show how few are really in there.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
@OldTaff mate, have you ever noticed and repeat catches of fish at the park you fish? It has happened to me with both Tench and Crucians, probably more with the Tench than I realise, except for one with half a tail I've had twice. I must admit I'd rather catch unique fish but a catch is a catch and goes to show how few are really in there.

I haven’t if I’m honest and I tend to photograph the majority of the fish I catch but the park lake is solely carp and they arent always easy to differentiate between.

Because relatively few fish come out to me each session I feel the stocks are high enough to significantly reduce the likelihood of repeat captures plus I rotate pegs each time but that’s not to say I don’t get a certain fish twice with at least a few months between catches and in that time it’s grown or changed somehow.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I live on the isle of Wight where Naturals other than a small choked little river are none existent, but my most rewarding memories of angling have always been my red letter days on Naturals when everything came together.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I live on the isle of Wight where Naturals other than a small choked little river are none existent, but my most rewarding memories of angling have always been my red letter days on Naturals when everything came together.
Have you ever fished any of the rivers there? Seen some half decent looking bits of the eastern yar with coarse fish visible and trout in one of the others probably the medina. Always interested me how there are even rivers on such a relatively small island.

MarkW

One thing I picked up from Peter Rolfe (he's pretty much the UK crucian expert) concerning crucians is that they tend to live in certain swims and whereas fish like tench follow the wind, or bream and roach have patrol routes, the same crucians can be caught over and over in the same spot.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Have you ever fished any of the rivers there? Seen some half decent looking bits of the eastern yar with coarse fish visible and trout in one of the others probably the medina. Always interested me how there are even rivers on such a relatively small island.
Most of the river is private, but our club has a few stretches, one is to narrow to be worthwhile the other used to feature on our match list, very good Roach fishing especially good with punch, there are some trout and chub in the Yar, but not on our stretch.
If it was in Newport you saw fish they may have been Mullet where it is tidal.
Maybe 10 years ago the RSPB brought the land and intended to stop fishing, our club had fished it for 50 years or so, the MP was lobbied on this and we have the rights to fish it, but the best side of the Bridge is closed to us from June till end of October.
It used to be dredged now and then years ago and had a bit of flow, now it is overgrown, shallow and unable to get enough pegs on for a match, the skimmer and Bream pegs are on the side out of season till end of Oct. we also lost a nice section which cut it in half what we used to have, the best bit.
Just further upstream it floods quite often near houses and across the road quite deep, but RSPB don't give a toss and the river is never maintained like it used to be.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Most of the river is private, but our club has a few stretches, one is to narrow to be worthwhile the other used to feature on our match list, very good Roach fishing especially good with punch, there are some trout and chub in the Yar, but not on our stretch.
If it was in Newport you saw fish they may have been Mullet where it is tidal.
Maybe 10 years ago the RSPB brought the land and intended to stop fishing, our club had fished it for 50 years or so, the MP was lobbied on this and we have the rights to fish it, but the best side of the Bridge is closed to us from June till end of October.
It used to be dredged now and then years ago and had a bit of flow, now it is overgrown, shallow and unable to get enough pegs on for a match, the skimmer and Bream pegs are on the side out of season till end of Oct. we also lost a nice section which cut it in half what we used to have, the best bit.
Just further upstream it floods quite often near houses and across the road quite deep, but RSPB don't give a toss and the river is never maintained like it used to be.
Very interesting stuff thank you 👍

paul m

So,a three hour session this morning on my little backwater. Plenty of chub and dace,and three nice roach of around a pound each. I had the bream turning in the swim,and towards the end ,I had two.Here is one - the largest.

36657525-A87E-465A-9091-0772EE1B7BD5.jpeg