Do I risk the river?

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Rare weekday off tomorrow.

I was thinking of having my first day on the Thames but as Silverfisher points on out my other thread, it's likely to be up, coloured and a very tough day.

Do I forget all that and risk a blank on the river or fall back to my comfort zone and fish a still water?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
With the amount of rain we had yesterday with hurricane Brendan I'll be surprised if a few rivers don't burst their banks.
I went down the M1 last night and across to Walsall (and back) and it was lashing it down. One river (Dove?) had burst it's banks at one point flooding a couple of roads on my route; hey ho it flushed out the wheel arches and underneath :D

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
ground is so wet it cant absorb any more water

here in East Kent, rivers and streams that have not run for years have reappeared and are rising, let alone the main two rivers

squimp

Site Supporter
I live very close to the source of the Thames and today we have serious local flooding for the first time this winter.

A few days ago I tried to fish the Bristol Avon (20 miles West) and that was already in the field.....

Draw your own conclusions.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I was in Monmouth yesterday evening and the Wye was the colour of drinking chocolate, about 3 ft up and going through like an express train and it was still hammering down

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
Got up early and went to have a look. As you guys expected it's high and going through like a train. I've decided to go another day and am on a lake now

TonyA

Site Supporter
Looked at my local commie yesterday - can't tell where field ends and lake begins.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
All this rain followed by a temperature drop overnight on Friday just sets things up for a difficult weekend to fish, I just have no idea where to go!

I’ve become properly despondent on the fishing front this winter, there’s either been frosts, floods, high winds or all 3 at once virtually ever week since November. Have hardly had a single mild, dry and calm spell of more than a couple days. The weather does look more settled for a while now even if cold but I wouldn’t be surprised if its turned nasty by the time the water levels drop to mess it up again.

Roll on the spring!