Do fish on commercials...

robinta

.. tend to switch off in the middle of the day?

Apologies for the generalised post here,as so many fisheries will be different.

In still a real novice at fishing on commercials. I fished my local on Friday, and not knowing what to expect covered a few bases (probably too many)

First trip of the year and I know generally you dont have to fish long here. So I had a line at 11.5m. The colour was good in the water, so I wasnt fishing too light, (but did try lighter options and shallow rigs as well when it went quieter)

I'd started on the long line with a ball of groundbait and a few casters fishing caster on the hook. First put in after leaving to settle fof 15 mins, I got a small roach, the second one a 5lb carp, then it died off pretty much.

Id flicked regular small amounts of maggots on a 2+2 at the bottom of the near slope and started getting some small roach and ide before that slowed as well.

By now it was 12.30 and apart from some sporadic sport it was virtually dead until I noticed carp in close around 2.30. From there I fished the margins and had some great fish until I packed up around 4. Loads of carp close in, but a real dearth of slivers on my main lines.

So, I may well have totally messed up my feeding, or fished too heavy , but is it common for a quieter spell midday?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It happens all over mate, there's always a quiet spell, just at different times.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Simple answer is no.

When did you re-feed the 11.5m line? Personally I would not use groundbait, but that may be because many places I fish ban it so I am not in the habit of using it. Micros are my go-to bulk feed. In my opinion groundbait is generally an attractant and not a feed. Micros on the other hand provide both attraction and feed. They need to be fed regularly. How much and how often is something to work out on the day. But underfeeding is, I think, a general thing with pleasure anglers. If you are going to catch 100lb of fish then you have to feed for that amount of fish and more to be in your swim throughout the day.

One of the most successful margin anglers in my club will think nothing of feeding 20+ tins of corn in a day.

One thing to consider is that fish feeding will hollow out the bottom. So when I stop catching the first thing I do is re-plumb. It is amazing how much the depth can alter during the day. Another tactic is to feed two, even three spots at, say, 11.5m. Then you can rotate round the spots feeding in turn and allowing the fish to settle again before fishing the spot once more.

davej1981

The trick is to find the fish. As the day goes on and the weather gets warmer the fish may come up in the water or move into shallower water. After catching a few they may back off a bit. This is all where experience comes in and the skill of reading your peg. They will be somewhere. Of course there are days when things do go quiet. If the venue has few people on it in a pleasure fishing situation then its quite possible the fish will disappear to a quiet area where no one is fishing

62tucker

Site Supporter
Local fishery has banned corn. Hookbait only.
And total ban on meat.

hunter

.. tend to switch off in the middle of the day?

Apologies for the generalised post here,as so many fisheries will be different.

In still a real novice at fishing on commercials. I fished my local on Friday, and not knowing what to expect covered a few bases (probably too many)

First trip of the year and I know generally you dont have to fish long here. So I had a line at 11.5m. The colour was good in the water, so I wasnt fishing too light, (but did try lighter options and shallow rigs as well when it went quieter)

I'd started on the long line with a ball of groundbait and a few casters fishing caster on the hook. First put in after leaving to settle fof 15 mins, I got a small roach, the second one a 5lb carp, then it died off pretty much.

Id flicked regular small amounts of maggots on a 2+2 at the bottom of the near slope and started getting some small roach and ide before that slowed as well.

By now it was 12.30 and apart from some sporadic sport it was virtually dead until I noticed carp in close around 2.30. From there I fished the margins and had some great fish until I packed up around 4. Loads of carp close in, but a real dearth of slivers on my main lines.

So, I may well have totally messed up my feeding, or fished too heavy , but is it common for a quieter spell midday?
What you describe is pretty typical of all the Commercials in my area, so I usually target Silvers in the morning and Margin Carp on punched Luncheon Meat in the afternoons. I often aim for as many different Species as possible in a Session. Luckily a local Carp Fishery also has a Silvers Pool with some interesting Species. For the best sport the secret is to arrive as early in the day as possible. Whatever methods or baits are used, on a sunny day all bites have usually ceased by 2:30 PM, even from the Crucians, sometimes a little later on a dull or wet day. With no Margin Common or Mirror Carp to fish for I head home for a Cupper!

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Although not banned, corn is limited to 1 can per angler, per day, same as meat on our waters.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I've heard a few top match anglers mention the midday lull on some commercial fisheries, and no one has figured out why it happens. But it apparently happens on a lot of venues. It's not just an individual peg becoming difficult, but the whole venue seems to be affected.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
How do you police that Pete, must be a nightmare for a bailiff 🤔
With great difficulty mate. I usually have a walk round and have a chat, but at the same time see what baits they're using and take a note of any corn being used. Go walkabouts again later and see if the tub of corn has more in it than before.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
With great difficulty mate. I usually have a walk round and have a chat, but at the same time see what baits they're using and take a note of any corn being used. Go walkabouts again later and see if the tub of corn has more in it than before.
I hope you turn a blind eye to our @Peter 🤭🤭🤭

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
think all fish and to be fair most living things will eat and rest at different times of day, no matter the venue or the location. Everything is ingrained in habits and no one eats for 24hrs a day and fish will follow the same routes and patterns as well and will eat their fill before stopping and depending on the weather go and relax for a bit in the warmer water or head for a area of the lake with more oxygen.

It makes sense if you think about it, same as a human going out for dinner or drinks, you might go mad for the first hour or so and down 5 pints but you drink slower and slower and at some point you will not be able to fit anymore in or you need to go for a nap or a lay down before starting again, we all work in cycles everyday.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I thought everyone knows they stop for lunch 🤔

As it always happens at lunchtime so suspect it’s something to do with sun being at highest point?
Same with high point of moon, fish seem to feed during moons high point.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Depends on the time of year and subsequent water temperatures i would say. Middle of the day in summer warmth and they go off for a while. On a cold day the brief peak in the middle of the day temperature sometimes sparks some action for a while.

davylad

Site Supporter
I disagree with you Neil, there is a definite lull most days on the lake I fish, usually for an hour or so around dinner time. I'm not saying they totally stop feeding, but it's not one a chuck. I've tried to time it and cut down a touch on my feeding to keep them coming. It does work some days, then they start having a go after an hour or so, so back to feeding normal. I haven't a clue as to why they do this mind.