Do fish fight harder on heavier tackle?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's all relative isn't it really to the fish, the tackle and their environment.

When people say small fish don't fight I always say well no they don't much on say a 3-6lb float rod on a 3ft-4ft deep low oxgygen lake. But hook the same fish on 2-4lb float rod in a 5ft plus deep flowing well oxgygenated river and anything over about a quarter pound will put up enough of a fight that you'll have to play it a bit rather than just wind it in. Another example is how you can just wind up 6 mackerel on feathers on a boat rod but 1 mackerel on a spinning rod is like a mini tuna!

It's definitely fun on light tackle.

It was good fun on my Shakespeare 17' rod so can't wait to have a few on the Acolyte. Little Perch especially I find can be dogged fighters and I got loads of those. Like you say, you can't just wind them in.

I also had an old 3m whip I used to use a lot on the canal, nothing wrong with it as nice and soft, I think it was fibreglass and used to bend double with a small fish on. Speaking of which the latest Drennan video is whip fishing on the Thames for Roach, have you seen it, might be of interest?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It's definitely fun on light tackle.

It was good fun on my Shakespeare 17' rod so can't wait to have a few on the Acolyte. Little Perch especially I find can be dogged fighters and I got loads of those. Like you say, you can't just wind them in.

I also had an old 3m whip I used to use a lot on the canal, nothing wrong with it as nice and soft, I think it was fibreglass and used to bend double with a small fish on. Speaking of which the latest Drennan video is whip fishing on the Thames for Roach, have you seen it, might be of interest?
I do think perch pound for pound are well up the list in terms of fighting fish. Very dogged like you say.

And yeah I did watch the video. Was on my favourite strength of the Thames which is what got my attention more than the whip! I quite fancy getting into whip fishing again but not a drennan price range one to start with ?

CarpCatcher86

I think you are more likely to be a bit on the gentle side with lighter gear. Usually you are more concerned with not snapping your line elastic rod or pole.
I must say though that there was one water in particular I fished a lot when I was younger, catching bream and tench over a pound was a red letter day and back then double figure carp were caught only on heavy carp gear. You could hook them on lighter gear which you could always guarantee, keeping them away from the snags and getting one on the bank was a different matter. I still use the same 4lb maxima chameleon for float fishing, but rod technology has improved a lot. Returning to the same water two days in a row as an adult, my first bite which resulted in my first fish on day one was a 10lb 8oz carp, the following day on the same peg the same thing happened again. First bite resulting in the first fish of the day was another carp weighing 12lb 7oz.
If someone had told fresh faced younger me all those years ago that one day I would be catching double figure carp from that water using a 12ft float rod, 4lb main line, a 3.3lb fluorocarbon hooklink and a size 20 hook I would have said they were mad.