diy

Status
Not open for further replies.

crisoff

just wondered if theres any joiners or diy aces that can give me a pointer,i,m making a framework out of 2x2,and making a load of lap joints,instead of doing it the traditional way(saw and chisel)can i use a router to do it,and can it be done by being handheld?i have,nt got one,and intend on buying one,and dont know if a bog standard one or a plunge router would be best or what bits?thanks chaps

cess monkey

You could have a right job on doing it by hand with a router. Saw and chisel is so much easier for lap jointing unless you are used to using a router.

All routers will "plunge" so its more a case of what you are prepared to spend and what use you will get out of the tool after this project.

big stoo

hello
imo routers can do the job you want them to, but it's far easier with a saw and chisel. A bog standard router is a plunge router, the plunnge bit is very important for the setting of ogee and round over bits. when doing lapping joints i had a battery powered circular saw and that did the cutting very quickly and could be set at the right depth and then there's very little chiseling to do, just a bit of tidying up. the problem with using a router on this job is that it only takes of about a eighth of an inch with each pass, using a straight cutting bit bit at half an inch diameter its gonna take at least 32 passes per half join. routers are great tools though and well worth getting, from b&q type stores you should be able to get a router and a selection of bits for around 50 notes, it will do the job but won't last for ever, a good one to practice with while you learn what they can do. hope this helps i'm not great at making myself clear in type,

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A Router would be hard work and you'd need to make up a jig of some kind if you wanted accurate cuts. Plus a decent router will set you back a couple of hundred pound, cheap versions tend to be 1/4 drive and not very powerful for constant, accurate, fast use

Doing the initial cuts with a circular saw set at the right depth would save a lot of time and then finishing off with a decent chisel. Make sure you clamp the wood with something like a Workmate or bench Vice though otherwise your cuts could end up on an angle rather than square on

Or if you've got loads to do, beg, steal or borrow a compound mitre saw. Set this at depth, mark up your wood and off you go
Cut the sides to your rebates first then a couple of passes through the middle waste wood. Finish off with a chisel

crisoff

thanks chaps,gonna buy a sliding compound saw,wouldnt be bothered but i,ve got 60 to cut and it wont go to waste,ta once again.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you're going to buy one but don't want to go the whole hog buying expensive, try one of these: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=30997&ts=39325

It's Screwfix's own label and comes with a two year guarantee
I use the Erbauer blades in my saw and they're good quality plus I've got a 6kg SDS+ drill of that make which has so far out lasted others I've had and is still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.