Ditching the twizled boom

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I’ve used the twizled boom for some time when feeder fishing using traditional cage type feeders. I never thought it was perfect but it did work. I watched a video Lee Kerry did on YouTube Preston channel where he attached around 1m line to his mainline (10lb), threaded on a snap swivel then put a rubber stop on the line. Tied a loop for his hooklength. The big advantage is you can lengthen your hooklength by simply sliding the stop up or down and you can use 6” or 12” hooklengths as it doesn’t make a difference.

For several weeks I’ve tried it. I had a 1m length 8lb line, 0.26mm Drennan (the knot doesn’t go through the rings when casting), thread on a Drennan feeder link, then a stopz then a small rubber (see photo). I have barely had a tangle, certainly not a major one, the stopz and bead kick the main line away from the feeder. I don’t know whether the feeder link makes a big difference but I like it. The ability to change hook fall by effectively lengthening the hooklength has definitely caught me more fish when in the old days I probably wouldn’t have gone through the faff of actually changing the hooklength as much.

Attachments

• 469D2F25-07F0-483D-BD07-3F1557B13C94.jpeg
    469D2F25-07F0-483D-BD07-3F1557B13C94.jpeg
    923.2 KB · Views: 168

richox12

That's been around for decades. But things do go in cycles. Only problem is big/heavy feeders moving the float stop back down.

Fred Davis

Instead of the twizzled boom a lot of anglers now just use a loop, feeder still hits the knot for the bolt rig but line flows through the eye easier than the twizzle

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Does the feeder link pass over the knot to the leader...? if not then I'd not use it due to the possibility of a fish becoming tethered if the mainline breaks above the leader knot

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I still use Drennan feeder stops which by pulling peg out (in-line version) can be moved up/down mainline in conjunction with at least an inch of stiff feeder link running should’ve it on a small bead.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Sorry for being dim, what’s the extra 1m of line attached to mainline for? Why not feederlink and stops on mainline and then loop for hooklength? I guess you’re using braid mainline & mono leader? Or heavier/stiffer leader mono to kick out more? Or maybe the mainline+leader knot as super long semi bolt?

Last edited:

Godber

.Nobice and inventor of W@nkles
Site Supporter
I have used a variation of this for lines up to 30m. I tie a 1m length of 8lb mono to my braid, slide on a feeder swivel and a large rubber stop and tie a loop in the end to attach the hooklength. Then, l tie 3x3 turn water knots in the mono at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 distance from the hooklength loop. The rubber can slide over the knots to adjust the hooklength distance, l use a stotz up against the knot and slide the rubber down to it and the swivel ring butts up to the rubber. The stotz is nipped off and a new one nipped on when you want to adjust the length. Hooklengths are 6".
A good rig for when the fish are onto the feeder as soon as it settles with your hookbait in close proximity or for when you want a bit off a slower drop.

Last edited:

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I was attaching it to braid, but having the thicker more robust line on the rim of keepnets etc is an advantage and I’d use it with light main lines. I guess it also falls slower and I can have one ready made on a winder in case of issues whilst fishing. The feeder link doesn’t pass over the knot, but are we therefore saying that any shockleader set up shouldn’t be used unless feeder can go over the knot which I would doubt in most cases (especially with say 12lb shockleaders)?

The rubber stop and stopz don’t move without some force.

For info I was using it on the canal where you could use a paternoster if you wanted.

jononcb

I played about with different rigs for the Feeder and Div.1 Nationals on the River Trent this August.
But settled on 2 x Drennan float stops around the feeder on a 4 inch run and then below the feeder doubling the line then (multiple) knotting it to make a stiff boom effect (maybe 6-8 inch long) just to kick the hooklength away from the feeder.

Last edited:

Rich123

Its always good to find new idea's Paul, even when they're just new to you, but thanks for passing in it on. I still like the twizzle boom, but find the helicopter rig far better in many situations in my own fishing. For example the maggot feeder, with a long tail, drops slowly through the water and looks attractive to fish. This paternoster style has always been good to me, in many ways.

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
I think that an inline cage feeder does away with the need for booms of any sort..and can be set up just like a method feeder. Little chance of tangles....and short hook lengths if you want .

Fred Davis

the in vogue method of feeder attachment these days is the helicopter rig this effectively is more tangle proof, if it has to be in line floats stops can be used to obtain the bolt effect 4inches above the feeder if this is banned or all stops are banned anglers are attaching the feeder to the line which has a loop attached to a quck change link the feeder slides over the loop and knot down to the swivel so the knot still acts as a bolt rig, there up to all sorts these days, the paternoister is virtually dead.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Spoke to Des Shipp at feedermasters today. Asked him the best anti tangle feeder rig. He said fixed paternoster. 4 inch drop of twissle line, then connect your hook length with 4 turn water knot or small hook length connector.
Reckons never tangles. I will let you know what i think next time i get the chance to go out. 😁

Fred Davis

some don't even bother to have it running tieing the hooklength to the feeder or bomb swivel to creat a bolt rig much like carp anglers if you have a short enough hooklength they hang themselves as I said there up to all sorts if you had an edge would you talk about ?