Distance sticks ?

rudd

Site Supporter
The point I was trying to make was that 2 banksticks, which just about every angler has, do the same job. I cannot understand buying sticks when you have what you need to hand. It's just another way to empty an anglers pocket..or for bragging rights on the bank.
Modern match anglers sit on oil rigs with a host of attachments.
Modern specimen anglers use pods or only have 4/6 sticks for alarms and butts.

I actually wonder what bank stick sales are like these days?

Marker sticks do not have bits for line to catch on like banksticks do ?

squimp

Site Supporter
As regards marking the line.
What are the options .
Say 8lb line so not heavy carp stuff
I use fairly fine, coloured cotton or pole elastic. I cut the 2 ends fairly short.

then I put a tiny dab of nail varnish next to the knot to tell me if it moves on the line.

i carry several different coloured bits of cotton in case I need to Mark more than one spot on a single spool if line. Sometime my line looks like a washing line with markers all over the place !

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Modern specimen anglers use pods or only have 4/6 sticks for alarms and butts.

Marker sticks do not have bits for line to catch on like banksticks do ?
I know that, but they can still be used. If you wind the line back on the same way as you put the line on the sticks, then there's nothing to ruin the line. All you do is give the rod a little more room at either end when winding back on.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I use fairly fine, coloured cotton or pole elastic. I cut the 2 ends fairly short.

then I put a tiny dab of nail varnish next to the knot to tell me if it moves on the line.

i carry several different coloured bits of cotton in case I need to Mark more than one spot on a single spool if line. Sometime my line looks like a washing line with markers all over the place !
Don't say that mate @neilofthene will be selling you some pegs?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sorry, I couldn't see much in your post other than the suggestion that no previous world champ used them, in any form.

Once you've knackered your line because you were using banksticks, your view on purpose made distance sticks, or at least a better alternative, might be a bit different.

how does your line get knackered using plain banksticks ?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
how does your line get knackered using plain banksticks ?
There aren't that many entirely plain banksticks that are totally flush right to the top. Most have something at the top that will catch the line sooner or later. Rivets, knurled bits, locking screws, collars etc. Anything with the potential to catch line will do so sooner or later. You can always modify your banksticks, but if they cease to be banksticks the argument for using them becomes moot.

I once had a similarly cynical and negative view of distance sticks. Initially, I tried banksticks, but soon gave up on them. Even the simplest alloy bankstick I could find had a brass threaded insert in the top that was secured with a rivet. That rivet would be an issue sooner or later. I used oversized knitting needles for a time. Eventually, I gave up on being a tightwad and bought the simplest (and cheapest) pair of distance stick I could find. Even allowing for a Nash carp tax, they were less than £15. They aren't anything clever, but they are miles better than the alternatives I tried.

rudd

Site Supporter
Nope.... got a better one... cane hoop
20201022_185954.jpg

Changed the net for something kinder to the fish... think you'll like the maker of the Mesh...????
Kinder or legal arry?
Gave a bloke a rollicking last week on a day ticket - knotted net!!!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
The point I was trying to make was that 2 banksticks, which just about every angler has, do the same job. I cannot understand buying sticks when you have what you need to hand. It's just another way to empty an anglers pocket..or for bragging rights on the bank.
I don’t own any banksticks.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Love the banter too and throw about some distance sticks.
Once you try no going back

Silver fan 82

What knot do you tie the marker onto the mainline with?

squimp

Site Supporter
What knot do you tie the marker onto the mainline with?
A simple stop knot. I first used it to stop sliding floats.

take about 4” of the cotton (or thin nylon or thin pole elastic) hold it against the mainline, make a loop with the cotton and then pass the end 4 times thru the loop. Pull gently to tighten, then position where you want it and properly tighten.

cut loose ends to suit and add a dab of nail varnish as a fixed point - for reference.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Modern specimen anglers use pods or only have 4/6 sticks

Not sure I even know what a distance stick is but I'm the proud owner a fair few bank sticks still. Got some fancy extending korum ones but my most used ones are cheapo avanti! Got drennan and Preston heads on them though I'm not that tight ?. As I say I don't know what a distance stick is but I certainly wouldn't want wrap line around the avanti bank sticks!