Distance sticks ?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Chefster, thats the bit i do not understand about society in general, i have no issues with what people do, some like the same old and tried way of life and fishing, some of us want to use the latest and greatest, some want to have to most expensive and tarty tackle. all are perfectly fine but do not be negative or obnoxious to others who do different to you (not saying anyone is here!) we are all allowed to fish how we want as long as we break no rules

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Assuming you leave the sticks in position during the session. If you are doing a 70 yard chuck a thief has a 70 yard start when he nicks one???

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
no need to leave them out if you arent using them Dave, just use them at the start of the session if you want and put them away and if you need them again just set to the rod length again so you know the distance between the sticks is the same every time

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Chefster, thats the bit i do not understand about society in general, i have no issues with what people do, some like the same old and tried way of life and fishing, some of us want to use the latest and greatest, some want to have to most expensive and tarty tackle. all are perfectly fine but do not be negative or obnoxious to others who do different to you (not saying anyone is here!) we are all allowed to fish how we want as long as we break no rules
Very true mate. If we tried to make do, we would all be using take away cartons for bait boxes?

rudd

Site Supporter
Assuming you leave the sticks in position during the session. If you are doing a 70 yard chuck a thief has a 70 yard start when he nicks one???
Crazy fool:
12 ft rod = 12ft gap between sticks = 4 yards = 8.75wraps of sticks (wrap = 4+4yards) 8x8.75= 70

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Crazy fool:
12 ft rod = 12ft gap between sticks = 4 yards = 8.75wraps of sticks (wrap = 4+4yards) 8x8.75= 70
Guru are bringing out an orange calculator then? With Preston bringing out a floatable blue one with extendable buttons a fortnight later???

rudd

Site Supporter
Guru are bringing out an orange calculator then? With Preston bringing out a floatable blue one with extendable buttons a fortnight later???
Oh come on man we are anglers and life is easy:

Carbon, fibre glass, composite
Front drag, rear drag, no drag, baitrunner, closed face, multiplier, centre pin
Poles in meters
Rod in feet
Lines in lb strain and or mm
Cast in rod lenghts, meters, yards or feet
Hooks in numbers from 32 to 20/O with a whole host of shanks, points or patterns
Fish in lbs or kg
Weights and shot in ounces / grammes or weird alphabetized sizes.
Elastics in numbers or colours
Boxes with circle/square/octagon legs of varying diameter
Blue kit, orange kit, green kit, red kit
Rivers, canals, lakes, streams, reservoirs, ponds, commercials, the sea
More baits than items on a French menu
Alarms and receivers that have more functions than a smart phone
Thousands of float designs with a plethora of materials and uses
Then there are the fish?

Easy game this fishing lark?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
None probably seeing as he was feeder world champion and they all do it.If your referring to normal world champs then it’s float only ?‍♂️
Here's a thing... not everyone wants to cart extra poles or sticks about and not everyone wants to faff about winding line round sticks when your line could be in the water catching fish... if an alternative is available that means you spend more time in the water, how is that detrimental to anglers who want to move forward... be honest... a lot of stuff sold by tackle firms are made to provide a solution to a problem that doesnt exist or there is already a cheaper faster alternative to all to make money... cynical? yes sometimes... pragmatic? Spot on ifcyou want to spend your money on stuff fine.... but don't get narky if someone puts forward a cheaper alternative that works

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
You could say exactly the same about casting to a line clip (a method that isn't exactly ancient itself). You either choose to try new methods or you don't. They may work well for you or maybe they won't. One thing is for sure, you'll never really know unless you try. Distance sticks are just another way of doing something. There are plenty of ways to skin the same cat. Which one an individual chooses is up to them.

There are plenty of methods I've tried and don't like. There are loads that have come and gone without me even trying. It's my own personal policy, except perhaps in the vaguest of terms, to try not to pass comment on anything I've not used or barely used.
The point I was trying to make was that 2 banksticks, which just about every angler has, do the same job. I cannot understand buying sticks when you have what you need to hand. It's just another way to empty an anglers pocket..or for bragging rights on the bank.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Here's a thing... not everyone wants to cart extra poles or sticks about and not everyone wants to faff about winding line round sticks when your line could be in the water catching fish... if an alternative is available that means you spend more time in the water, how is that detrimental to anglers who want to move forward... be honest... a lot of stuff sold by tackle firms are made to provide a solution to a problem that doesnt exist or there is already a cheaper faster alternative to all to make money... cynical? yes sometimes... pragmatic? Spot on ifcyou want to spend your money on stuff fine.... but don't get narky if someone puts forward a cheaper alternative that works
Who’s getting narky?????

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Don't anyone count the reel handle turns any more??

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
C'mon Aitch, I bet you'd have some if they were a nice polished bamboo with a brass spike?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
The point I was trying to make was that 2 banksticks, which just about every angler has, do the same job. I cannot understand buying sticks when you have what you need to hand. It's just another way to empty an anglers pocket..or for bragging rights on the bank.
Sorry, I couldn't see much in your post other than the suggestion that no previous world champ used them, in any form.
And how many world champs have come and gone without using them?
Once you've knackered your line because you were using banksticks, your view on purpose made distance sticks, or at least a better alternative, might be a bit different.

Marker50

Site Supporter
As regards marking the line.
What are the options .
Say 8lb line so not heavy carp stuff

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Have you got a folding landing net with brass rings Aitch, used to spend an hour setting up.