Dissapointed

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
This week, I have been topping up the bits and bobs in the old Boss box

the majority of the consumables, Ive had to hand, so its been just a matter of finding the correct storage box, getting what I need out and replacing the stuff Ive used over the past few weeks

Though Ive watched a few videos and top tackle tips on facey and u-tube and thought to myself, I'll try that, and then popped onto E-bay to buy the reccomended and required items, sorted, paid, and awaited delivery

two of the newer to me items came this morn, and ive just sat down to have a butchers at them with the idea of watching the vids again and making a few rigs up using the said items

both the two new things I wanted to look at arrived in plastic blister packs, now, I dont know if its just me, but I like to open a packet, (no matter what it contains) tidily, just in case I wish to use the said packet as storage or such like

both these have defeated me, after 10 mins of a broken thumb nail, wrestling with the plastic, I had to resort to a pair of scissors to get into the packs, not the greatest of starts but hey ho here we go

item one, is a spool of Drennan feeder gum, BS 6lb 0.45 dia, Ive bought this to try out as a shock absorbing link on a feeder set up, brownish in colour and looks to be suitable for the idea in hand, not sure what sort of knot will be suitable for it though, so the good old double fed loop will be the starting point and will use a quick change feeder bead on one end and a mini swivel on a tucked half blood on the other (any advice will be greatfully recieved)

the othe packet was me joining the great Feeder boom revolution, and as such I bought two packs of three ready made feeder booms at approx 40mm in length

just had a good look at them, i dont know what I expected, but, I coulda knocked them up in 30 mins myself, using stuff thats easily to hand, and probably do a better job too, for one thing I would of used a bit of shrink wrap on the stiff flouro link material to tidy it all up and make it less snaggy if you know what I mean there being two crimps with mini tag ends showing,

stiil live learn and buy, will give em a go, but will make my own from now on

Last edited:

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
My dad carries on the doing it all himself from his carp angling days, the garage used to stink of homemade boilies!

He scowls at the idea of people walking out of tackle shops with £100 worth of bits and bobs in a brown paper bag, at which he claims he’d make them a life time supply of it for that price.

I suppose it’s all about convenience, generally all terminal tackle is “do-able” yourself, even down to the weights if you’re willing to get a melting pot / making moulds and whatnot.

Total

Site Supporter
@mickthechippy ...... "item one, is a spool of Drennan feeder gum, BS 6lb 0.45 dia, Ive bought this to try out as a shock absorbing link on a feeder set up, brownish in colour and looks to be suitable for the idea in hand, not sure what sort of knot will be suitable for it though, so the good old double fed loop will be the starting point and will use a quick change feeder bead on end and a mini swivel on a tucked half blood on the other (any advice will be greatfully recieved) "

Is the above for a shock link to the actual feeder or the type of shock link attached to the hook length?:unsure:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
@mickthechippy ...... "item one, is a spool of Drennan feeder gum, BS 6lb 0.45 dia, Ive bought this to try out as a shock absorbing link on a feeder set up, brownish in colour and looks to be suitable for the idea in hand, not sure what sort of knot will be suitable for it though, so the good old double fed loop will be the starting point and will use a quick change feeder bead on end and a mini swivel on a tucked half blood on the other (any advice will be greatfully recieved) "

Is the above for a shock link to the actual feeder or the type of shock link attached to the hook length?:unsure:

to the hook length,

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have tried the Old Dennis White trick of using a bit of pole elastic to the feeder before,

but this was one of the drennan sponsored guys using it on the hooky when distance fishing, it apparently helps when bringing a fish in, far less bumped off

Total

Site Supporter
@mickthechippy .....As recommended by your friendly 'Guru' (and mine!);)....Mr Ringer....Knot from main line to powergum is the two turn water knot....Hook length connection to powergum is the spider knot and hook length loop connection as in the alternative connection one would use on connecting a rig to a dacron connector.......See inset pics below....(y)

Fishing gum link to hook length.jpg

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
sorry, looked closer and its shadow

that feeder link looks far better than the ones Ive bought

Total

Site Supporter
sorry, looked closer and its shadow

that feeder link looks far better than the ones Ive bought

Those maybe the Guru feeder links, but he does make his own.....If crimped properly there really is no need for the 'tag' you mentioned above, I.E cut flush..(y)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
what you have shown is basically the rig that the drennan guy was using, though his feeder gum was a bit longer, think about 8 inch 200mm

which is why Ive bought the items for in the first place, for the soft mouthed bream and possibly biggish roach

Total

Site Supporter
what you have shown is basically the rig that the drennan guy was using, though his feeder gum was a bit longer, think about 8 inch 200mm

which is why Ive bought the items for in the first place, for the soft mouthed bream and possibly biggish roach

As you say, it ain't a new rig/idea....And sizes/dimensions can vary....(y).....It does work a treat on the fish you mention above....

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
well Ive learnt summat anyway

might try a slight adaptation where it connects to the mainline, just for ease of setting up, and give it a go,

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I've been using the power gum rig shown for a while now. Very effective for absorbing the lunges beneath the rod tip. Only down side is the feeder swivel wears the braid l found, so its worth checking every now and then. Also, you attach the hooklength like you do to a dacron connector, l've found that if you want to change the hooklength or shorten it it can be a tad tricky releasing the hooklength loop, it seems to bite in quite tight. I now use the 2 loop method, makes it far easier to take the hooklength off.