Discrimination against British army veterans

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Who am I?

My name is Dennis Hutchings. I served in the British Army for 26 years.

I was posted to Northern Ireland during the Troubles in the early 1970’s and I did several tours there. I did my duty as did many others. Now we are the subject of repeat investigations and prosecutions.

My story

On 15 June 1974 John Patrick Cunningham was shot and killed in NI. This was a tragic incident. I did not shoot Mr Cunningham.

I was arrested at the time and after an investigation told in writing that the Director of Public Prosecutions had directed that I would not be prosecuted. In 2011 the Historic Enquires Unit of the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) cold-case reviewed this matter and again I was told no action would be taken against me.

Then, out of the blue, on 21 April 2015 I was arrested at my home in England by police officers from Northern Ireland and taken the same day to Belfast where I was held for four days and interviewed on numerous occasions; more times, I’m told than Harold Shipman, believed to be history’s most prolific serial killer. I was then charged with Attempted Murder. I have been fighting this case ever since.

When I was arrested the then Director of Public Prosecutions in Northern Ireland was Bara McGrory, who previously had represented Martin McGuinness at the Bloody Sunday Inquiry and is stated on the Internet to have acted for Gerry Adams. Mr McGrory signed a certificate denying me a jury trial and I am to stand trial beginning on 9 March 2020.

Read More...

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I wonder if Corbyn will donate. ,?
Over 45 years ago and they are now taking soldiers to court for doing their job,

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
These Vets served their Queen and country. They didn't ask to be shipped to NI, they went under orders and followed orders.
There may have been the odd rogue, but none compared to the IRA terrorists and murderers.

They should be allowed to enjoy their retirements in peace, not be hounded

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Politicians should Grow a pair and fight fire with fire instead of P.ssing on the ones who have the countries best interests at heart.

D

Deleted member 24902

...Never served (Now too old, Shame on my part!) but have got friends and ex-flat mates who have served in all the branches; I have the utmost respect for them - anyone who disrespects them and their service or their brethren (past, present or future) so help me God, i'll do the time for making you look unrecognisable to your own mother!

..Rant over!!!!

Right back to this fishing thing!

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
At this time there are 6 ex soldiers either charged or being investigated for historic crimes allegedly carried out during the "Troubles". The members of the IRA received pardons and "Letter of Comfort". This is the result of Blairs Good Friday Agreement.

The government have said they want to put a stop to any prosecutions, not seen or heard about much action on that yet, only rhetoric.

As an ex-serviceman I am disgusted with what is happening.

I STAND WITH SOLDIER F.

soldierf.png

Last edited:

Wise Owl

Account Locked
He should be advised to become a Isis supporting terrorist, he then would be ok to go about his everyday life :mad::mad:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
As long as there are those in this country seeking to make political or financial gain from pursuing the active duties of service personnel then this will never go away.
The problem is compounded more by the "haters" of their own country and the "rights" activists who feel that for whatever event someone has to be accountable and a punishment declared.

BTMS

Site Supporter
At this time there are 6 ex soldiers either charged or being investigated for historic crimes allegedly carried out during the "Troubles". The members of the IRA received pardons and "Letter of Comfort". This is the result of Blairs Good Friday Agreement.

The government have said they want to put a stop to any prosecutions, not seen or heard about much action on that yet, only rhetoric.

As an ex-serviceman I am disgusted with what is happening.

I STAND WITH SOLDIER F.
Ditto well said

Trogg

the bouncer
Site Supporter
The laughable part about this is that there are "ex" IRA people saying it was a war, people die in wars and this is unfair on the soldiers.
It's also suspicious, to me at least, that the Irish republic side are happy to let it go yet the folks in NI seem intent on keeping it going........could it be because they know as "British" people they won't be blamed for it and the hatred of the republicans will continue to live on due to these court cases.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Who am I?

My name is Dennis Hutchings. I served in the British Army for 26 years.

I was posted to Northern Ireland during the Troubles in the early 1970’s and I did several tours there. I did my duty as did many others. Now we are the subject of repeat investigations and prosecutions.

My story

On 15 June 1974 John Patrick Cunningham was shot and killed in NI. This was a tragic incident. I did not shoot Mr Cunningham.

I was arrested at the time and after an investigation told in writing that the Director of Public Prosecutions had directed that I would not be prosecuted. In 2011 the Historic Enquires Unit of the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) cold-case reviewed this matter and again I was told no action would be taken against me.

Then, out of the blue, on 21 April 2015 I was arrested at my home in England by police officers from Northern Ireland and taken the same day to Belfast where I was held for four days and interviewed on numerous occasions; more times, I’m told than Harold Shipman, believed to be history’s most prolific serial killer. I was then charged with Attempted Murder. I have been fighting this case ever since.

When I was arrested the then Director of Public Prosecutions in Northern Ireland was Bara McGrory, who previously had represented Martin McGuinness at the Bloody Sunday Inquiry and is stated on the Internet to have acted for Gerry Adams. Mr McGrory signed a certificate denying me a jury trial and I am to stand trial beginning on 9 March 2020.

Read More...

I also served several tours in Northen Ireland, through the seventies, eighties and nineties and am disgusted with the prosecutions and the way that history is being rewritten!

Reuben

Site Supporter
I’d have no problem giving NI ‘independence’. It’s got bugger all going for it either strategically or economically. Let the them sort their issues out themselves. If any so called ‘loyalists’ want to move to the mainland then get on with it. They still have enough religious bigotry up here in Scotland to make them feel right at home.