Discovering Local....Fishing for the soul??

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s very rare I travel more than 20 miles for a day trip usually more like 15 miles. If I’m going further than that I’m overnighting more often than not.

If spinning is working or not (I've done a lot on the canals), chuck in a dead bait drifted on a float, I almost like guarantee you more action.

Smelt, trout etc work fantastically ... one day I had 4 pike in an hour or two session with 1 rod, all around 8-10lb...
The canal I'm fishing is crystal clear at the moment, it's also quite small. Once you've found the roach shoals, you've found the Perch. I'm yet to find the Pike yet, but I know they're there. Lost my polarised glasses a while back, so it it making spotting them hard. Walked about 3 miles of towpath the other day trying to find them, only to hear they were 5 miles up from where I was.

nickg

The canal I'm fishing is crystal clear at the moment, it's also quite small. Once you've found the roach shoals, you've found the Perch. I'm yet to find the Pike yet, but I know they're there. Lost my polarised glasses a while back, so it it making spotting them hard. Walked about 3 miles of towpath the other day trying to find them, only to hear they were 5 miles up from where I was.

A lot are or were before they are recommissioned for boats.

I would still throw a dead bait out, buy a pack of the smallest trout or smelt you can find.

And I say this as someone who has lost more plugs and spinners to the canals than most people have ever owned.

The pike are everywhere just find some reed beds on the near side and fish 45 degrees to it or far bank or simply down the middle.

They will find you...