Discovering Local....Fishing for the soul??

HALTON DANGLER

Site Supporter
How many us clock miles each weekend in search of fishing, i know i have been guilty in the past of driving hours. Sometimes we neglect the venues on our door step. Pike for me was one i travelled miles for and one day i asked myself "how many pike am i driving past before i leave my own town"

These new restrictions are going to reduce all our circles for sure so looking locally for all will be the new normal. Restrictions also come with stress and i know i personally
have struggled with mental health during this covid.

This week i didnt go in search of big chub, big pike or a huge net of dace, i headed to my local commercial with maggots and hemp for anything that swims.

I could have released a video fishing the mighty severn for barbel this week but i wanted to show that fishing truly is the best form of escapism out there and enjoy every second if it, even if its just some maggots and a float,sometimes its not about big fish and big nets..tight lines all

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
How many us clock miles each weekend in search of fishing, i know i have been guilty in the past of driving hours. Sometimes we neglect the venues on our door step. Pike for me was one i travelled miles for and one day i asked myself "how many pike am i driving past before i leave my own town"

These new restrictions are going to reduce all our circles for sure so looking locally for all will be the new normal. Restrictions also come with stress and i know i personally
have struggled with mental health during this covid.

This week i didnt go in search of big chub, big pike or a huge net of dace, i headed to my local commercial with maggots and hemp for anything that swims.

I could have released a video fishing the mighty severn for barbel this week but i wanted to show that fishing truly is the best form of escapism out there and enjoy every second if it, even if its just some maggots and a float,sometimes its not about big fish and big nets..tight lines all

Thanks Danny ,really enjoyed that

nickg

You lost me when you said 'Commercial', sorry I think commercials represent the loss of the fishing soul...

HALTON DANGLER

Site Supporter
its a shame that nick as fishing is not all about green hills,river banks and invisible hoops people have to jump through for their past time to be "acceptable" Fishing has many forms whether that is fishing a fly for salmon or a commercial for carp or silvers and all are equally as good as the other for both offer its participants the same feeling of being beside water and escapism. Fishing would be in a much better place if anglers where more inclusive to all than exclusive.

commieboy257

Hi mate I thought I saw a small video of yours where you were teaching how to read a river. Do you have alink to it pleaae?

nickg

its a shame that nick as fishing is not all about green hills,river banks and invisible hoops people have to jump through for their past time to be "acceptable" Fishing has many forms whether that is fishing a fly for salmon or a commercial for carp or silvers and all are equally as good as the other for both offer its participants the same feeling of being beside water and escapism. Fishing would be in a much better place if anglers where more inclusive to all than exclusive.

It's all personal opinion and a commercial might have its place.

But for me it's not where the fishing soul is.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'll fish me club waters.... I fish the odd carp water in the summer when I have the odd social with some buddies but thats as far as commercials goes for me... I prefer small rivers and gravel pits and farm pools
20201106_092708.jpg

rudd

Site Supporter
It's all personal opinion and a commercial might have its place.

But for me it's not where the fishing soul is.
Your right, Sole are normally found on sandy bottoms, size 2 or 4 boom rigs with a bit of harbour rag is my choice of rig/bait.

I agree totally, you can have a lot of fun locally if you try. I've spent the past two weeks of the Welsh lockdown spinning for pike and perch on my local canal. Cheap LRF style spinning rod and a Waterways Wander permit and you're off.

nickg

I agree totally, you can have a lot of fun locally if you try. I've spent the past two weeks of the Welsh lockdown spinning for pike and perch on my local canal. Cheap LRF style spinning rod and a Waterways Wander permit and you're off.

If spinning is working or not (I've done a lot on the canals), chuck in a dead bait drifted on a float, I almost like guarantee you more action.

Smelt, trout etc work fantastically ... one day I had 4 pike in an hour or two session with 1 rod, all around 8-10lb...

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Very enjoyable video Danny, much like most of my own sessions.
I only wish that I could roll your left sleeve up a bit, save you washing your hoodie every week to get rid of the skimmer slime!
:D

Sam Vimes

In the last five years or so, I've travelled more than twenty miles for fishing about once a year. Over 90% of the time, I travel no more than five miles. The way I do things does generally requires a lowering of expectations and an acceptance that certain species and sizes of fish are simply not going to be attainable. Minimal travelling times mean that I'm not afraid of snatching really short sessions. I don't feel the need to stay for long unless I really feel like it. I can even go home and return later in the day if necessary. I'm a lot happier than when I was regularly travelling longer distances chasing fish.