Disappointing day at new 'Crucian' venue

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I went to Wellfield Pools, Bewdley for the first time today. I'd checked it out on Saturday and liked the look of the Old Trout Lake, which I've been given 'info' on from various people that it's full of small Crucians, so was fairly excited.

I went with my dad and he fished till 12 noon.

First disappointment came on plumbing up. Float set to about 6' as I was told some pegs have 8' down the edge. Turns out I had less than 2' down the edge. Thought about moving pegs but found closer to 4' next to some bushes to my right, so might as well stick with it.

Secondly my Maver Cyrstal Insert wagglers I bought a couple of yesterday, must have had a crack in the first one I set up, as it leaked and slowly sunk. Can't use an adapter with them so had to rig up again.

There's a few small Roach and Perch in there so had a few of those. My dad had a couple of 12oz Crucians but said he was "being plagued with Perch". I think they're among his least favourite fish when small.

I had a Crucian about the same 12oz size but had also had 5 Carp between 3 and 5lb when my dad left.

As he left he gave me his maggots leaving me with about 3 pints, so I started feeding those more heavily.

Turned into a Carp a chuck, average between 3 and 5lb and biggest about 9lb, most of them with mouth damage.

I didn't count them but had at least 30 and less than 40.

I would say it wasn't what I expected, but I did half expect it, and it's what my dad predicted of the place. I won't write it off though as maybe I just need to go earlier in the year and find the pegs with some depth down the edge, but there's definitely too many Carp in there to just catch Crucians.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
With that stock density of carp you’ll have your hands full picking out the crucians but good luck.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yep. I would go back to fish a method feeder or something for the Carp when it gets a bit colder, but fish weren't in great condition either with most have damaged mouths. I'll probably wait till next Spring before I go back.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Yep. I would go back to fish a method feeder or something for the Carp when it gets a bit colder, but fish weren't in great condition either with most have damaged mouths. I'll probably wait till next Spring before I go back.

Sounds like a good plan especially as you have alternative waters to fish.

Total

Site Supporter
You've fished one swim on one lake.....Hardly a fact finding mission.....You need to give it a few more goes before you right it off...:rolleyes:(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm hoping the other side of this lake is deep down the edge and that's where all the Crucians are. I asked the bailiff and he told me the lake used to be so full of them you could almost net them out with a landing net down the edge but he said they don't show as much recently.

tunna

Used to fish wellfield on on a regular basis years ago, fished every pool there, both pleasure and matches, and cannot remember catching a single crucian, plenty of carp, tench and silvers.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think 3 separate people at the park have told me on different occasions, "If you want Crucians, fish the Old Trout Lake", so I had my hopes up, though it makes sense why the chap in HT Angling looked a bit confused when I gleefully told him I was going there to catch Crucians. He just didn't say anything as though he knew it was mostly Carp.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
As I weren't really fishing for the Carp today I had them lined up just by feeding a load of maggots, so I reckon if targeted in a match could produce decent weights. There were other people on the pool all legering big baits and not catching much.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
With that many carp I think the crucians will hybridise out and look like F1s.
That's quite possible,and the hybrids will mostly not be good at breeding. Eventually the old stock of crucians will die off and then the mostly infertile hybrids, and within a few decades only the carp remain. It's the main reason for the decline of the crucian.