Direct Debits and Rod Licences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Got your invite yet [?]

The Environment Agency is sending more than 600,000 letters to anglers urging them to buy their 2003/04 rod licence by Direct Debit.
Letters will start arriving from today (Monday) and anglers have until the February 4 to return the completed mandates.
In 2001/2 a pilot Direct Debit project was launched in the Agencys Anglian and Midlands regions. More than 26,000 anglers responded - an 11 per cent uptake rate.
Now the Agency is targeting 662,000 holders of full annual and concessionary licences across England and Wales.
The initiative means anglers who sign up for Direct Debit will automatically have a licence sent to them in time for the new season.
In the long term, savings generated by this project will enable the Agency to spend more money on improvements for fisheries and anglers.
Those who completed a Direct Debit mandate in 2002 need take no further action - the Agency will contact them in February to confirm their bank details.

Mine has arrived on the door mat but I'm not sure whether or not to take up the offer as initially I bought it from the Tackle Shops and then the local Post Office, both of which I like to support (might be just me being sentimental [:)])

What do you reckon?

Dave Datafile2.gif

Lid

Mikey, I reckon it will be a single yearly direct debit of one amount for the number of licences you chose to purchase, rather than spread out over the year.

Dave, the small Post Offices are nearly dead already.

The direct payment of pensions and allowances is the main culprit which when we had one was the biggest factor the Post Office used to pay the subpostmaster. The business generated by rod licences would be minimal, I'm sure.[?]

I reckon the DD thing is a great idea, reduced admin (hopefully) and you don't have to remember to renew every year. [8D]

Lid - formerley known as Leighton [:)]

Last edited:

fishing_mad

the problem with DD is if most of the full and concessionary holders pay for the 2004 one now the money will not be there for that year and even if they get the 2005 and 2006 one then all it takes is a drop of anglers paying by DD any it could cause a big revenue problem and im sure the goverment wont be happy seeing as were his money cow and were a good source of milk.

:)Fishing Mad:)

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Got mine, filled it in and returned it already. I know what you mewan about supporting the local Post Office, but I never remember it's run out until the day I want to go and sods-law says's that will be a Sunday.

This ways much easier, it'll just happen with no effort on my part.

AlanP

angler-mark

I think it's a great idea and should have been done sooner.
I joined this sceme in feb 2001 and to be honest, it's easier for me to get it this way. I recieved my licence 2 weeks before the start of the 2002 season. I also think that any savings which it generates can only be of benefit to fishing, as long as that's where it will go. [:)][:)][:)]

Tight Lines

Mark

snakey

PAA COACH
I would gladly pay for my licence by DD if I could get my sons junior licence at the same time. Since there is no facility at the moment to do this it still means a trip to the post office. If I got mine posted sraight to me chances are that I would forget to go and get my sons and that could cause serious problems. I`ll stay as I am for the time being.

SNAKEY`S NOT PLAYING GOLF YET

stevieb

Shakin
Site Supporter
seems a good way of hiking the price without anyone really noticing to me..... but then I've always been a tight sod !!!
Steve

Del-J

' Victor '
IMHO the D.D. method is a good idea.

However I hope the E.A. more efficient than they were last year when many people did not receive their licence after they had sent of for it through D.D. This meant they still had to make the tripp to the P.O. to get it.

Del

Not fishing? Then talk to your mates on M/Ds.

Polepot

Poles
I don't see why people have such a problem. Direct Debit saves them money and makes things more efficient - Provided we do not have the fiasco of last year LOL. If money is saved it may end up benefiting us in some way.
My form is on its way.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Simon R

Site Supporter
I bought mine at the NEC show last year (via their website)and got a few freebies for my trouble [:D]

I'll probably do the same again this year

Simon

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
have sent my DD form back, makes it a lot easier, wont be long before your local Post Office is shut and they owe the EA a lot of money dont they? at least with the DD you know the ea will have your maney to waste!

Also why only send out 600k forms when there are 3.5m anglers?

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Am I wrong in thinking it costs the angler 1.00 to buy via DD. I thought DD payments should decrease the cost not increase it. Why should we pay more for this, another stealth tax perhaps?

chill out go fishing

Larry

Lazarus
Yeh i agree with you Esox,
I thought if you paid by Direct Debit you got a discount you get a discount if you pay your electric & gas by Direct Debit i also get a discount if if a pay my gym fee's monthly by Direct Debit.

Anyone who stops learning is old.
Wether at 20 or 80.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi John,

Where does it say theres a 1 charge for the DD, I've checked and cannot see anything about that [:)] ?

Dave

AlanP

'EastAngler'
I read something about the discount issue somewhere. The story from the EA was that they were unable to offer a discount for DD payments as the licence fee was set by the Government/Parliament (?), and that a change to the relevant Law would be required.

There is no additional charge for DD payment AFAIK. The form indicated that the fee would be 22, which is a 1 up on this year I think, but that will be the price to people renewing by any method.

Is that where the confusion is arising?

AlanP

Status
Not open for further replies.