DIP ?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Keating

I can see the reason for dipping nets before you fish but will this really keep the nasties from fisheries? as far as i can see infections could be passed on from any of the other tackle being used, ie landing net handle, Pole or even pole rigs.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Steve K

norm

not realy mate

nets can still be wet from one day to the next and that is what will spread nasties

rigs etc will not be so the nasties will have died

Datafile3.asp

joe32

Norm is spot on on this one,Nets are by far the most likley way of transmiting disease or parasites from one venue to another as they can sometimes remain wet between sessions.
One other thing to be aware of is that these net dip solutions that are placed at fisheries lose there efectivness quite quickly if not changed on a regular basis.so even if your dipping your nets if the fishery owner has not changed the dip for a week or has tried to save a few quid and mixed it up weak its next to useless.
The very best way I have found to clean my nets is after a session or match i soak them in a solution of malachite green(excuse the spelling) rinse out and dry.It's an pond remedy designed to kill most parasites.

Joe [:D] [:D]

Don't argue with an idiot they will only bring you down to there level and beat you on experience

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Having spent some considerable time reshearching this when SVC was reported at a fisherie not far from me. Here are the facts.

If a dip is to be used it should be iodine based. This costs approx 30.00 per gal/5lts Nets should be submerged and left to soak at least 5 mins. The nets should then be rinsed in clean water. Both the disinfectant and the clean water should be changed regularly. Nets should be dipped before and after fishing.
However there is a far more superiour and cheaper method available but this relies on the angler doing it correctly.
ALL NETS should be DRIED by that I mean BONE DRY.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

G

On the odd times that i do use a net,the first thing i do when i get home, outside it goes, doused with disinfectant,hose pipe on full power,washed,then washed again,3 times minimum,hung on the line for a couple of days to make sure its completely dry.

bablefish.gif

catch me if u can
Andy,

BlythMags

Am I right in saying that nets need to be dipped for 5 minutes then left to 'fully' dry out before using?

In order words - aren't these net dips a waste of time?

Alan G

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I didnt say dip nets then allow to dry !!!!
There are two methods
1 dipping of nets.
2 drying of nets.
For once the cheaper alternative is the best.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Joe the use of Malachite Green is primarily for killing bacteria and fungal infections and doesn't have any real effect on parasites so the use of it as a net dip is reasonably useless [:)]

Added on to that there is a lot of concern that it is carcenogenic and as such it is banned in most of the fisheries industries.

The most effective way of ensuring your gear is free from nasties is to dry it out

Dave
Datafile2.asp

joe32

I stand corrected,I must be honest i was only doing what someone had adviced me to do a few years ago,from memory it was a fishery owner in the south east.In veiw of what you have said Dave i think I'll stop using this stuff as if in your opinion it is next to useless I'll just stick with drying the nets out until bone dry,which i have always done anway after treating.

Don't argue with an idiot they will only bring you down to there level and beat you on experience

david platt

Fusilier
IF, I say If I remember right, Bruno Broughton did a reply to a post
on this point saying, that nets must be dipped for at least 5 mins
or it is not effective.[B)]
david

lanc

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
David I said that in my first post. Last year when SVC was reported close to me I contacted both The EA and DEFRA. I was sent all the bumph that Defra had. My advice above was based on that info.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Roppa

I actually have a hang up about having to dip before I fish. Eventually the rinsing tank can contain almost as much disinfectant as the dip tank. Unless I am mistaken, the 'dip' can be as harmfull to fish as to anything else, it also can't do the water any good, on small, heavily fished venues. I personally do the same as Tomma and make sure at home that my nets are cleaned properly and dried thoroughly. Sadly, how can a fishery owner rely on everyone doing this.

BlythMags

Being new to the sport, can anyone tell me the best way to clean your nets - ie: what do you use to clean them?

I haven't exactly has a great need for my landing net just yet but, hopefully, it will see some action over the coming weeks / months!!

Thanks

Alan G

crusty

Simple, when you get home wash it down in fresh water, and then peg on the line.
Mine stays there until it is bone dry, or quite often, if the weather is wet, it stays there until the next session.
When I go to fisheries that insist on net dips, I go through the routine even if it is pointless, but i've seen a lot that don't.
The only real 100% solution would be for fishery owners to supply nets with day tickets, perhaps with a hefty deposit?

crusty

BlythMags

Eden Meadows fishery in Trimdon (used to be called Beaumont Fisheries) does just that - requests that you use their own nets.....with no deposit req'd.

His theory being that he knows his nets are clean and his fish are safe.

Alan G

joe32

Yeah we have a fishery in W.Suusex,stub pond,They insist that you use there nets.There was a story recently about a guy that was disqualified from a match because he hadn't used the fisheries own net,the sad thing was he had enough to frame maybe even win.
But hey you break the rules thats what happens

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
quote:Mine stays there until it is bone dry, or quite often, if the weather is wet, it stays there until the next session.
Crusty if it stays wet then any thing that the net has picked up wont have been killed off. It MUST be dryed throughourly.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.