Dinosaurs

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
When dinosaurs roamed the lands do you think there would have been a lot of them?
I know fossils findings show loads of different types but they say this one was from 60m yr ago and this one would have been 55m yr ago. What I’m wondering about is how many at one time lived. Like cows, you can drive around and see loads of cows, do you think back in the day we’d have seen a dinosaur everywhere we went?
The human population is something like 70billion
What do you think the dinosaurs population would have been at its peak?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
pretty sure there would a been a lot

being as there are so many fossils, and not every dinosaur got fossilised

just take a look at how few eary humanoid remains are found, yet there must off been untold walking about

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d agree there would have surely been a lot given how many more animals there were in the earlier stages of the civilised human population than there is today so I’d have thought the dinosaur numbers would be even higher than that.

crusty

If the human population was 70 billion we'd be sat on each others knees.
It's about 7.7 billion.

I think there would have been lots, and many more that we haven't found evidence of.

Ian

Dusty

When dinosaurs roamed the lands do you think there would have been a lot of them?
I know fossils findings show loads of different types but they say this one was from 60m yr ago and this one would have been 55m yr ago. What I’m wondering about is how many at one time lived. Like cows, you can drive around and see loads of cows, do you think back in the day we’d have seen a dinosaur everywhere we went?
The human population is something like 70billion
What do you think the dinosaurs population would have been at its peak?

I think from a quick search the estimates for North America were a few hundred million.

I would imagine on a continent that large it would be possible to travel long distances without seeing one.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Imagine what it would be like to be able to time travel.... not taking into account the butterfly effect but just imagine...being able to travel to a time when there was more than one species of human on the planet!

frankg

Site Supporter
When thinking about how things were, you need to look at what is known from our current knowledge and evidence. Nature is quite structured.....large amounts of prey species (be it insects, birds, animals etc) and smaller amounts of predators. Prey species breed in profusion...insects, amphibians, birds etc will have many young....most of which will perish through predation, or food availability. But, it only needs two to survivie to replace the parents and keep the population stable. The same will be true for extinct species....loads of herbivores and fewer T-Rex etc. Look at the African savanah...massive amounts of herd species, preyed upon by relatively few Lions, Leopards, Crocodiles etc. The evidence is all around you.
This approach is also used to explore and describe processes seen on other planets, like Mars.....they can understand the past condition of Mars by looking at structure and land formations, then relating them back to similar structural and processes here on Earth. It's still nature and it's still structured!

Last edited:

frankg

Site Supporter
Imagine what it would be like to be able to time travel.... not taking into account the butterfly effect but just imagine...being able to travel to a time when there was more than one species of human on the planet!

I often say it would be great to be able to travel back or forward in time to see what it was like and will be like......in a protective bubble of course, so you can't be harmed.... :D

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
What was here before dinosaurs and what did they evolve from?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter

if your into a bit of reading dude,

I can heartily reccomend Julian Mays series of books, a very very good read,

"The Saga of the Exiles"