Digital Scales

Status
Not open for further replies.

dward1996

Life Member
Whilst fishing today, having caught a nice fish, upon going to weigh it I found that my lightweight (up to 11lbs) scales no longer work.

I'm therefore looking to buy replacement scales, and am considering going down the digital line. However, having never used digital scales before (and not knowing anyone who has used them regularly), I have a couple of questions:

1. Are they accurate (call me old-fashioned, but I find it easier to trust a needle I can see moving!).
2. I'm a bit pushed for money at the moment. Is it worth making do with my 50lb scales for rough weights for now, and waiting until I can afford an expensive pair of scales, or do the cheaper sets work? In particular, I've been looking at the following two sets on eBay:

Behr Electronic Scales
Berkley Digital Scales

Thanks in advance for your help.

getfishing

Pete
The Berkley ones are meant to be good but they go up in 4oz increments, so not the most accurate. I don't know about the others.

getfishing

Pete
If you can stretch it a bit more the Berkley Tec Digital Scales are even better, in the 35lb version, they are accurate to 0.01% of the fish's weight. Apparently they are the most accurate fishing scales.

Last edited:

Cooky

I won a set of these for 33

excellent scales

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-JRC-DIGITAL-SCALES-100LB-CASE-RRP-49-99-/330449353953?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item4cf050fce1

jepe

The ElectroSamson made by Salter Brecknell is a perfect scale and has a longer standby time as the JRC/Berley. This is much prettier if you have to weigh more fish.

dward1996

Life Member
Well after reading a few reviews elsewhere, I've pushed the boat out and taken getfishing's advice by going for the Berkley Tec digital scales. 35 inc P&P.

I'll try and write a review after I've tried them out a few times.

Thanks for all the helpful advice[:T]

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Word of advice. Always remove the battery when not in use. I store the battery in the compartment but unplugged and upside down. And carry a spare.

dward1996

Life Member
Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

Word of advice. Always remove the battery when not in use. I store the battery in the compartment but unplugged and upside down. And carry a spare.

Thanks for the advice Neil. I plan on getting spare batteries,[:T]

dward1996

Life Member
Well, having had the scales for a month now, I'm very impressed with them.

If anybody else is interested in them, I've just had an e-mail from Chapmans Angling. They have them on special offer at the moment for 19.99 inc. P&P! (However, these may be the carp scales - it's not clear on the website, so probably worth checking first!)

rodbag

A friend bought a set of digital scales for 4.99 from the pharmacy at Morrisons and was pleased with their performance.

dward1996

Life Member
Originally posted by Tiger Feet

Im asuming you bought your scales from Chapmans? Do they measure down to 1 gram?

I'm afraid not. I payed 35 for them from Harris Sporsmail[:(]

They delivered excellent service though![:T]

Last edited:

Cooky

if its the scales that go upto 35lb you could have got the JRC ones for the same money that go upto 100lb like i got

same scales different colour

dward1996

Life Member
Originally posted by Cookyr

if its the scales that go upto 35lb you could have got the JRC ones for the same money that go upto 100lb like i got

same scales different colour

What sort of readings do they give? The Berkley ones give readings to 1/8 oz and it is accurate to within 0.01%.

Cooky

they are the same scales mate same readings

16565-1.jpg

!BbU5NKg!Wk~$(KGrHqYH-E!Equ2N-9,lBKviz8u01Q~~_12.JPG

dward1996

Life Member
O.K. In that case, I didn't get the best deal, but to be honest, I never use a keepnet, and as I'm not a carper, 35lb should be fine (well I can but hope....)[:p]

Cooky

still worth the money even the ones you got, if you ever did use a keepnet its just a case of weighing a few times

dward1996

Life Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not complaining. I've got an excellent product, at what I believe to be an excellent price!

Status
Not open for further replies.