Digital Cameras??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Has anyone any experience with digital cameras? We are looking to buy one but haven't any idea of what type or specifications to look for.
Basically we don't want to spend alot as it will more than likely reside amongst the rest of the bits and pieces at the bottom of the tackle boxes, but then again it has to be capable of producing a quantity of reasonable pics. (Assuming we catch something to take a photo of icon_smile_big.gif )

Please let me know of your experiences or maybe that of a colleague.

Regards to all, Dave

FAQ: Can I be notified by e-mail when there are new posts ?
Yes, the 'Subscribe to' feature allows you to subscribe to individual Categories, Forums and Topics. You will receive an e-mail notifying you when a post has been made.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave,i have recently purchased a Kodak DX3500 digital camera at a cost of 300 ,it comes complete with a docking port for a PC,and its own software for basic editing,e-mailing etc.It has 8 megs of memory built in which you can add to with a flash card,a resolution of 2.2mega pixels.I have to say that i have been very pleased with the results so far.Might be worth your while having a look at one.
Peter.

paulmc

Hi Dave
I have a Kodak DC215 which i paid 300 for about 18months ago it has a 1.2m pixel. I take it fishing with me every time i go so it has been knocked about a bit and it still works fine.It's fine for close shots(upto about 10m) but it dosent work to well for distance shots.I recently bought a new memory card for it, 32meg which will now hold 54pics on its max resolution as opposed to 12 pics on a 8meg card.

regards paul mc

chrisd

Dave
I feel justified to comment on this subject as I specifically combine one hobby with the other, have been doing a lot of work in this field and learning something new every day.
The first golden rule is dont 'skimp' on the camera you will be dissapointed if you go for anything below a 2.2 megapixel camera simply because you get pixalation in your shots at aesthetically pleasing sized pictures, so whats the point? I use a Nikon coolpix 800 it is ideal for fishy shots, ok it is not that cheap but definately shop around on the internet as there are very good deals on similar cameras and remember dont skimp, try say www.Digital-cameras.com or www.theimagingstore.co.uk or someone like that. Both very helpfull and reliable companies.
Definately go for removeable memory its the only way, I prefer compact flash cards myself (Buy cheap on the net). Use a good card reader into a usb port on your pc its a billion times faster than a camera port and there relativly cheap!
Make sure memory card is higher than 32meg which is not that expensive, or it is a waste of money really. When taking shots, shoot in the largest format poss say 1200x1600 and not 600x800, make sure the camera will store at this size or I wouldn't buy it, that will put more detail in the shot improving print quality vastly, ok it takes up memory on the card but you bought one with room to spare didn't you?
Rechargeable Nimh batteries are a must they cost initially but are well worth it in the long run, buy a few and store them in a dry environment.
Flash on ( usually automatic) gives a totally different shot to off , experiment as light is an important feature in this game.
A LCD screen is a must for onsight editing , if its no good bin it and do it again, but dont leave it on it sucks battery juice!
Remember you need a self timer if on own and a tripod or converted bankstick or you wont get pics of you holding your catch.Make sure the camera can take a tripod mount. You can prepare a shot by putting a bankstick in your place at the bottom of the frame and basing your shot around it.
'Digis' dont like water, when not in use KEEP IN POLLY BAG, even if in camera bag as fishing is rarely dry.
Take a lens cloth and keep it dry aswell, the lens can mist up and water spots are common, also tie your lens cap to camera, it is easy in the excitement of taking a shot of a good fish to put it down on the bankside, trust me its gone!
When shooting fish compose the shot , make sure theres no debris like weed on the subject, dont let your hands obscure it and always wait till she puts her fins up it looks great! Generally take time to prepare a shot and it will pay dividends
I've mentioned a lot of things I know, based on my experience but it is what I feel will help you a little. Theres loads of enjoyment to be had with your camera but remember dont skimp on the megapixels( 1.3 mp cameras just get by go for 2.2 if you can) especially if looking to print shots. Spend a little bit more, You'll forget it in time and you can get a lot more pleasure from your camera for a lot longer.
Chris

Edited by - chrisd on 02 Oct 2001 10:21:01 PM

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi All,

So much choice it's unbelievable. I'm starting to feel like a kid in a sweet shop again icon_smile.gif

Chris, can you take a look at this one and tell me what you think http://secure.venus.co.uk/dcc/Fuji_2800.html
and is it worth buying them abroad as I'm off to (better be..)sunny Tenerife in a couple of weeks?

Thanks, Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave
Tenerife? you must have made a good job of the kitchen........LOL
Petericon_smile_big.gif

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Peter,

I need the break, I've never worked so hard, sanded my fingers to the bone, tiled till I dropped, laid the laminate flooring and got sores on my knees, pass the Kleenex lol

Best thing is, 'er indoors is paying for it icon_smile_big.gif I just need my spends icon_smile_big.gif

Dave

I see you've got to the 3 stars Peter icon_smile_approve.gif

Edited by - Dave on 05 Oct 2001 12:26:30 AM

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave,
Nice one,enjoy it icon_smile_approve.gif She spoils you that woman icon_smile_big.gif
Only another 74 til you buy me that drink icon_smile_big.gif
Peter

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm saving up for it now icon_smile_big.gif
quote:She spoils you that woman

I still can't put the maggots in the fridge tho' lol

Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Try the salad drawer,mine never looks in there icon_smile_blush.gifooops she's looking over my shoulder,this could be painful icon_smile_blackeye.gif

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
STOP THIS RIGHT NOW.YOUR'E HIJACKING THIS THREAD
MARIA, PETE'S WIFE.icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Time for some smooth talking eh Peter icon_smile_wink.gif

I've just convinced 'er indoors to let me keep a load of Herrings and Spratts in the fridge for the weekend. Stu and I are heading off to Castle Howard chasing a few (being hopeful now!) Pike.

It's cost me though, I've got to cook dinner with some "Oh, if your going to the fish-market, can you get some..."

lol

Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Goodnight Dave boy icon_smile_blackeye.gif

Tim

Dave,

quote:is it worth buying them abroad as I'm off to (better be..)sunny Tenerife in a couple of weeks?

Just be a bit careful with the guarantee as it can be a bit far to take it back if something goes wrong. Some manufacturers offer their own guarantees which can be used anywhere and you return it to a service centre rather than the shop.

Secondly, Tenerife in a couple of weeks::: is this some kind of conspiracy to really upset me icon_smile_big.gif see this from Frank ::: http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=86

icon_smile_wink.gif Tim

chrisd

Dave
This camera has reasonable features for the price and will function quite adequately under normal circumstances. I think it has a self timer it dosn't say but I'm sure I had a look at one not long ago and it had one. It advertises an ISO rating of 100 which is restricted in some ways (Relative to light and movement) that definately won't matter too much to you, you will get fairly good pictures for the use you need as it has autoexposure( caters for the light values itself) and autofocus( no blurred pics hopefully, though you will need to keep it steady)and you can overide the flash.
You will need a much larger smartmedia card definately the quality of basic or even normal shots for printing or even pc viewing is low, you will need to store at fine quality or this cameras equivilent, in 1200x1600 remember, ignore other sizes and quality settings they just ain't worth the effort, they affect light, colour and pixelation on a shot and it is hard enough to get a good pic on a digital without stacking the odds against yourself. It dosn't seem to come with a case ( not a tragedy). Get A usb card reader as it takes too long to transfer via a camera lead ( they are cheap, make sure it is for smartmedia)
The camera is quite easy to use and playing around with it for a while will familiarize you with the functions.
This company is quite reliable for internet purchases if you are interested. And the camera is not a bad buy actually.
I have had a few colleagues who have purchased in the Canaries before and made excellent savings, the gear is generally European spec and up to standard, though on the odd chance of a rare let down Tenerife is not exactly round the corner.
Regards
Chris
ps; if you want cheap memory tell me what type and I'll dig out a reliable supplier that I have used.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks Chris,

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to post my holiday snaps on here for Tim to gaze longingly aticon_smile_wink.gif It's amazing the restrictions that you face using a normal camera especially when you have to get a full roll developed for just a couple of prints.

Regards, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.