Digital Camera & Picture Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALC

And now for something completly different...!!!![:D]

What camera's and what settings do people use for their pictures that are posted on here [?]

I've noticed that Peter's pictures when crunched and posted look great with no quality loss where as mine lose a fair bit of quality.

So come on every one tell all..[8D][8D]

Me i use a Fugi 1300 FinePix set on 1280 x 640 Normal..[:)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

AndyA

I've got mine down to the lowest size which is 640 x 480, the quality is fine for me and the memory card can hold lots more pics.

Aaaah .... soon be fishing

p.s it's an Olympus C-100 1.3 Megapixel

Last edited:

Lid

When u put pictures onto the internet, there is an optimum resolution, which is not worth going beyond because the screen cannot resolve it. I can't remember what it is, but I think it is 72 dpi, so you don't need the camera set on high resolution. There may be another reason for your pics coming out bad. For instance are you re-saving JPEG files before loading them?

Lid [:)]

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Malc, what you need is a good photo editing suite on your pc, so you can reduce the photo size yourself and then you'll not loose any picture quality.
its not so much your camera setting but the way its crunched..

teepee.

AndyA

quote:Malc, what you need is a good photo editing suite on your pc

Spot on there teepee,
I use Adobe Photoshop 7 and also Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7. They are both very good applications but maybe Adobe has the edge if you are wanting to get seriously into photo/image editing.

Aaaah .... soon be fishing

MALC

Lid,

WOW lost me on the dpi bit [;)][:D][;)] (computer thicko)

Teepee,

I reduce the picture my end prior to downloading to the forum both in size and pixel using Corel Photo House but alot of the pictures tend to look naff once i get lower to the 30k that is required for the forum.

Where as Peter's look like mine before i play with them.

MALC

MALC

Tried the Adode Photoshop but found it difficult to use

MALC

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Malc, i use the "Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7"
find this to work ok, and if you right click on one of Peter's photo's then on properties you'll notice that he use's the Paint shop pro 7....

can't comment on the Adobe suite maybe AndyA can give you some tips,

but all i can tell you is that it is down to your editing suite, iv'e another editing suite "MGI 8.1"
if i use that one to reduce the photo's i loose the quality..

teepee.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote: if you right click on one of Peter's photo's then on properties you'll notice that he use's the Paint shop pro 7....

lol Tony, what you're seeing is the picture properties as recognised by YOUR Pc. If you have Paint shop pro as your default handler for jpegs then you will see that in the properties of the photo [:)]

I use Paint Shop Pro 7.0 for graphics and their animation package for animated gifs, but prefer to use Photo Impact 7.0 for photos as I find it quicker/easier and gives good results.

There's a link to a free trial of Photo Impact in the Freebies section. I believe it is now version 8.0

Camera by the way is an Olympus C100 1.3 megapixels which I find good enough for this type of work.
I use a Cannon 35mm for photos that I wish printed though as I still don't think that you can beat them (films) without spending an absolute fortune, something I wouldn't want to do [:D]

Dave

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
quote:lol Tony, what you're seeing is the picture properties as recognised by YOUR Pc. If you have Paint shop pro as your default handler for jpegs then you will see that in the properties of the photo

ooooops![:I][:D][:I] it sounded good though![:p]

teepee.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Malc,
quote:I've noticed that Peter's pictures when crunched and posted look great with no quality loss where as mine lose a fair bit of quality.

So come on every one tell all..

Why thank you kind sir.[:D]

There's no real secret to it Malc.
The camera that i use is a Kodak DX 3500 (one of the "EASYSHARE" cameras)This comes with it's own software and transfer dock.
For pictures that i publish on the net i use PaintShop Pro 7.
All my pics are saved as Max Quality J-pegs
When it comes to "crunching" for me it's simplicity itself.
I run windows XP and when i "browse" a pic to upload,by right clicking on it i get an option to resize,with an additioal option to customise the resize of the pic.
I just select a width of 450 pixels and this creates a custom version of the pic with no real loss of quality.

Doing it this way i can easily reduce a photo like the one posted by Al recently of the chickens after Scouse's casters,down from a page widening 722 X 479 pixels with a file size of 113KB's down to a more manageable 450 X 299 pixels with a file size of 39.7KB's.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
If the main thing you want to do with pics is view them and resize them, give a try at the free and excellent Irfanview. Easy resizing to either one of a half-dozen standard sizes or a size to suit yourself.

Not designed for fancy photo editing but can crop, resize, and allow comments without your having to look at any sort of help file.

Newt Vail

Lid

I'll try and explain the dpi thing, although I must admit I am not a seasoned digital photographer. In fact I only use film and scan everything at present! [8D]

The resolution of a digital photo is simply the total number of pixels captured by the camera for one photo. So 640 by 480 means the captured picture has 640 pixels horizontally and 480 vertically.

You (or your software) choose to print or display the photo at a certain physical size and so this will translate to a resolution expressed in dots per inch (dpi) on the paper, or the screen. So the bigger you display your photo, the lower the resolution and hence the quality of the image.

Generally on paper the higher the resolution the better, but this is also restricted by your printer. 200 or 300 dpi is normally fine for most ordinary home prints. However on a screen you can great looking results with much lower resolutions.

So if you take a photo at 640 by 480 (low resolution for most cameras) and want to print this on paper at 200 dpi, then the image will have to be kept to just 3.2" by 2.4". However if I am right in thinking that computer screens are physically limited to only 72 dpi because this is how they work, then you can display this same photo at at 8.8" by 6.6" on a screen and it should still look fine.

I think the problems you get, as described by others in this thread is the manipulation. Every time you re-save a JPEG type file, its quality is corrupted, sometimes just once more will ruin a previously good image. The reason for this is that uncompressed image files are big and so it is much easier to use JPEG type files which are compressed. Unfortunately the compression algorithm is such that if you re-save a JPEG, image quality is lost.

I hope this helps some-one else apart from me, as I am now completely confused. [:D][:D]

Lid [:)]

Last edited:

MALC

Cheers Lid.....think i got that [8)][;)][8)][;)]

MALC

Status
Not open for further replies.