Digi-Cams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dervaig

Not sure whether this should have been in "Tackle Talk", but seeing as its not strictly tackle, here goes :
What am I looking for when buying one? What makes one better than another? Which one do you use and would you recommend it?

Dervaig dukewave_e0.gif

Steve M

Site Supporter
Hi Dervaig,
I have had a digital camera for about 1 year now. I have had in the past a number of conventional film cameras,but I wanted the flexibility that a digital camera offered.
I am no expert on this matter and I guess a large no. of MDs will offer more technical advice,but I think it all comes down to what you want the camera for (eg if it is just for posting web pictures or is it for enlarging and printing pictures etc) This basically dictates how much you need to spend.
The heart of a digital camera is its CCD.All pctures are made up of dots or pixels.Generally the more expensive the camera the larger the CCD.This in turn means more pixels,which means more detail in the pictures.This only becomes evident if you need to enlarge/print the pictures,when lack of detail makes the picture look grainy.
This is obviously ignoring things like lens,manual/auto focus/memory cards etc.
I bought a Fuji S602 Zoom for a family holiday to Canada last year.It was expensive,but I think it is a brilliant bit of kit.
I suppose the best idea is to visit a camera store,try them out & see what takes your fancy.There are some good mags around as well for digital camera advice.
Cheers[:)][:)]

The Witness

Hi Dervaig,
Like you I've been thinking of taking the plunge and have just bought a Sony Cybershot.It's a beautiful camera,very compact and easy to use.
The software for downloading pictures onto the PC was a doddle to instal.The problem now is trying to find out how to download shots onto the MD forums!
I can however recommend the Sony.
Cheers,
Richard.

G

I got a new Fuji digi camera,FinepixA303,3.2 million pixels,cracking camera.

Richard, download you shots onto M/Ds, click on my photo and follow instuctions mate,i would explain but i would no doubt get i wrong,[:I][:I][:I],

PS have you resized your shots, i resize mine,as does a lot of M/Ds to

450x338

That seems to be about the best size for posting,

catch me if u can
Andy,

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Kodak DX 3500 for me,with the easy share system.
Tough as old boots and dead simple to use.
As a rule i'd say don't get anything with less than 2 million pixels,this should give you enough scope for most normal applications.[;)]
I also use a Fuji A204 finepix at work ,and have to say that it's a cracking little camera,though maybe a tad delicate for the rigours of the bankside.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

The Witness

Thanks Andy.
I never was any good at following instructions-always manage to mess something up!
Cheers.
Richard.

Dervaig

Cheers guys. I'll bear the makes that you've mentioned in mind.
Thanks again.

Dervaig

Status
Not open for further replies.