Digi Camera - What does "P" do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I've been using digital cameras for a few years now, and upgraded to a digi SLR.

Most of the time, I leave it in the "Auto" mode (fully automatic, you get what it thinks is best).

If I want a good depth of field, I go into "A" (aperture priority) and adjust accordingly.

If I want to control the speed of the exposure, fast to stop moving action or slow to blur moving water, I use "S" (shutter priority).

There's also fully manual.

With "A" or "P" the camera adjusts the speed or the aperture to ensure a correct exposure, using the aperture or the spped you have chosen.

But what the hell does "P" (programme) do ?

I've read the manual back to front, but I'm damned if I can work out how "P" differs from "A" and "S" ! [:(!][:(]

Any ideas ? (It's a Nikon D80).

Simple

Sikea
Program Exposure mode.
So google tells me anyway [:)]

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/users-guide/controls.htm#topdial

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Thanks Simon, that explains it a sight more clearly than the manual does! [:)]

Gazhilla

Pasted to Death
If your digital camera lets you shoot in RAW as well or instead of JPEG then the P mode is virtually the same as the auto mode but allowing you to shoot the images RAW. You can also make slight exposure changes i.e. 1 or 2 stop + or - whilst in P whereby in auto you can't. If you don't shoot RAW (which is a digital negative as such) you should learn hoe to use it as you can make exposure and white balance changes (with the appropriate software) without degrading the image.
Your camera will proces the images in JPEG such as sharpening and contrast where as in RAW you will get what you shoot but allow changes yourself after. Most cameras produce slightly soft images in JPEG due to the computer in the camera changing the image. JPEGS also degrade everytime you save them whereas in raw you can save as TIFFS which allow non destructive editing.
Hope that help and if not PM me with your camera details and I'll show you some examples.

Gary

www.lancashirephotographic.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.