Different mindset for commercials

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
It is amazing how match fishing has changed since the advent of commercials. You no longer work out a target species as it is almost certainly going to be carp and you just need to think about how many, average sized ones, you need to hit your target weight. I am not saying commie fishing is easy but it is a fact IMO that there is less to think about, actual fishing wise. Is this why we are so hung up about tackle minutiae?

rudd

Site Supporter
It is amazing how match fishing has changed since the advent of commercials. You no longer work out a target species as it is almost certainly going to be carp and you just need to think about how many, average sized ones, you need to hit your target weight. I am not saying commie fishing is easy but it is a fact IMO that there is less to think about, actual fishing wise. Is this why we are so hung up about tackle minutiae?
No, its become harder.
Natural venues - most after silver's, a few legs known bream/chub/tench haunts but most fishing for Roach tbh.
A couple of pole rig variations, waggler, stick and feeder sufficed.

Todays commercial fishing OK Carp / F1 / Skimmer but its the amount of methods / baits needed to be learnt thats mind boggling.
Margin, 2+2, long, short, deck, shalla, jigga, paste, pellet, maggot, corn, dobbing, mugging - thats pole lines sorted!
Waggler, pellet waggler, method, feeder, bomb, hybrid, flat, banjo,paste bomb, slow sinking bomb, splasher, masher, candle and the new secret method secretly known as the scandel!!! 😜

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
To me fishing commercials is just another string to my bow to perfect. I always did well on commercial club matches. The alternatives around here are either Bream Feeder matches or River matches. River matches you would need to be prepared to target different species but not really Bream matches. I'm likely to start back match fishing on commercials this year but I do prefer small Carp and F1s and don't expect it to be always a fish race, just modest weights.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
To me fishing commercials is just another string to my bow to perfect. I always did well on commercial club matches. The alternatives around here are either Bream Feeder matches or River matches. River matches you would need to be prepared to target different species but not really Bream matches. I'm likely to start back match fishing on commercials this year but I do prefer small Carp and F1s and don't expect it to be always a fish race, just modest weights.
Ha! You don’t expect a fish race, come and fish an open at Tunnel, from spring onwards 😂😂😂😂fishing for F1,s and carp, and I suppose to some , 200-300lb weights are modest 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Ha! You don’t expect a fish race, come and fish an open at Tunnel, from spring onwards 😂😂😂😂fishing for F1,s and carp, and I suppose to some , 200-300lb weights are modest 😂😂😂😂😂😂
200-300lb is still pretty modest compared to some places I hear about. I'm looking at places that have match records of well under 200lb though. Would love to return to Tunnel but don't think I'm ready to fish an open there for quite a while. I've chosen a few small and local venues to start back up on where you could win a match with 70lb on some days.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
200-300lb is still pretty modest compared to some places I hear about. I'm looking at places that have match records of well under 200lb though. Would love to return to Tunnel but don't think I'm ready to fish an open there for quite a while. I've chosen a few small and local venues to start back up on where you could win a match with 70lb on some days.
How can 200-300lb of F1,s in 5 hours be modest, when fish are from between 8oz-3lb , sometimes you talk about things , that you don’t actually know what you’re talking about 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️Basically anyone can go pleasure fishing on their own and bag-up 😉

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
How can 200-300lb of F1,s in 5 hours be modest, when fish are from between 8oz-3lb , sometimes you talk about things , that you don’t actually know what you’re talking about 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️Basically anyone can go pleasure fishing on their own and bag-up 😉
I must have misunderstood what you were saying. I have won club matches 20 years ago at Tunnel with 150lb. :) I said modest compared to some places. But I'm not one of the ones that knock big weights on here.

grey

Site Supporter
Perhaps anglers are ready for the next evolution in commercial waters?

If commercials wish to continue to be commercial, maybe they have to start creating new challenges for the angler?

I think variety is the greatest challenge for any match angler, and is what keeps the pleasure angler interested.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The variety on most venues is already there but it's the posts of those that don't like Carp that try to make you think otherwise.
There could be just five Carp in the pool and some would still bitch about it..

If you are expecting to catch 20lb of Roach on a venue where match weights are constantly double tons then the angler should have a rethink about what he is trying to do.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I wouldn't look at match records too much, on some fisheries they are an anomoly and regular weights don't get that near, especially during the colder months.Only on certain days when the fish are going bonkers feeding does it happen.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I wouldn't look at match records too much, on some fisheries they are an anomoly and regular weights don't get that near, especially during the colder months.Only on certain days when the fish are going bonkers feeding does it happen.
I think they will be easier venues to start back match fishing on. I don't compare my pleasure weights to match weights but I feel more confident on place where you can win with less than a ton.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I think they will be easier venues to start back match fishing on. I don't compare my pleasure weights to match weights but I feel more confident on place where you can win with less than a ton.
Just because the winning weights are lower , doesn’t make it easier to compete in matches, against all the venue regulars, superstars, etc 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️Probably makes it harder

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
It's a tough old game from scratch, before I restarted up I was catching 100lb of carp easily pleasure fishing, bumped into an old mate on a match there, he said I should fish the opens.
First match I had 1 carp 5 minutes before the whistle 😂😂😂😂

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Got to start somewhere though? I'm talking about 'knock up' opens of less than 30 pegs. I'm not expecting it to be easy, but like I say I did better in club matches on commercials than on natural venues, maybe I should stick to 'pleasure fishing'.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Pete Clapperton (Essex County) has done that at his lakes. In fact he was the one several years ago that opened my eyes to the benefits of lower weight matches. At least on lower weight venues you know people won’t run away with the ,yada yada yada😉
Im not going down this road again😂😂
Good luck to you anyway.

Commercial mindset? You’ve got to be on it right from the whistle. If you ain’t it could well be over in the first hour.

Edit. Maybe not opened my eyes. More like drove home what I was already thinking.

Last edited:

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Got to start somewhere though? I'm talking about 'knock up' opens of less than 30 pegs. I'm not expecting it to be easy, but like I say I did better in club matches on commercials than on natural venues, maybe I should stick to 'pleasure fishing'.
I wasn't digging at you zerky, just saying it was difficult for me when I started, I did jump in at the deep end though fishing opens.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Back when I fished open matches as a kid at Lavender Hall and Blythe Waters they were similar sorts of low weight venues. I felt a lot better weighing in a small amount when it was only won with 50lb than I did fishing poorly next to a match winner at Moorlands.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Back when I fished open matches as a kid at Lavender Hall and Blythe Waters they were similar sorts of low weight venues. I felt a lot better weighing in a small amount when it was only won with 50lb than I did fishing poorly next to a match winner at Moorlands.
People run away with matches on natural waters. I remember well having 28lb of Bream next to 159lb. They are once in a lifetime days though. Not done it myself yet. In fact my biggest natural water match weight is 62lb and I ran away with that match😉

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Bearing in mind that I've only fished one commercial match in the last twenty years .....

On natural waters there is not the same evolution/innovation of tactics .... I'm still winning now using pretty much the same techniques and baits I was using thirty years ago.
Whereas on commercials the earlier phase was baits (catfood, paste, pellets etc) alongside "the Method".
Whereas latterly there has been a lot of tackle and technique innovation. Some of this is undoubtedly emperors new clothes - but some is definitely new!
A bit of this has crossed back to natural venues ... but really not that much to rivers other than banded caster and use of pellets.

Is that because the remaining river anglers are complacent, or simply because a lot of the techniques were more evolved anyway for target species ... whearas we really didn't know too much about fishing for carp?

I suspect a bit of both