Not open for further replies.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
August 8th and 9th

And a plane roared overhead!
Datafile.jpg

The venue was Cranes Lake at Kegworth.
Angler-Mark had suggested we try this lake as we have free reciprocal tickets via our PAD book; this is where he is pictured with a 5lb 2 oz Tench in Braddocks June Diary and he knew that would have been a PB for me!
The water also holds large Bream and Carp in excess of 20 lbs.
It was my first visit, pleasure fishing a Carp puddle for a while, hence 'Different'

It also lies under East Midlands Airports Flight Path if the wind is right!
Shades of Wraysbury and Heathrow!

The lake is attractive and behind the far bank, the River Soar runs, where, on Saturday, I would be meeting Dave Ferret and Scott SFK, just a few miles upstream.
Heres Marks swim on my left

Datafile.jpg

And the view to the right

Datafile.jpg

I set up a waggler and a bomb rod, whilst Mark used the waggler and method feeder.
Starting off on the float, I cast near the island, with worm on the hook.
On every retrieve, I was finding weed on the hook and Mark was experiencing the same!
He bemoaned the lack of Bread as bait and we experimented with shotting, fishing up in the water.
This quickly brought me a few Perch and then this little skimmer!

Datafile.jpg

Then, on the drop, I was into my 1st Carp!
I had switched to the bomb and the tip had no chance to settle, as the fish took the worm practically on entry into the water!
Mark took this picture as I played it

Datafile.jpg

Weighed at 4lbs, it was a nice fish, but without the fight of a 4lb river Barbel!

Datafile.jpg

The day was warm and overcast and the fishing was relaxing, although slow!

Mark had a succession of Perch and skimmers, but the Tench were failing to make an appearance.
Then, about 4.00, Mark landed this 4lb Bream.

Datafile.jpg
I went and sat watching him for a while and we discussed fishing, life and all manner of things as normal.
Mark admits to learning much of his technique from Archie Braddock.
Thats as may be, but, like finding an actor who can interpret Shakespeares words 400 years on, I find it fascinating, that he does it so well!
In 2 minutes of demonstration, I learnt to tie the Grinner knot!
Something that has eluded me for years of diagrams and descriptions!

The other main topic was the Moons influence as propounded by Chris Lyons, on fish feeding patterns.
Today was the 1st day I had the full information to hand, to try and experiment.

Returning to my swim and having tried Norms secret bait (damn mussels!) to no avail, I switched to my own special bait!
Special only, that in sorting out the freezer this morning, I came upon an opened frozen can of Go-Kat (Chicken & Turkey in gravy) from Tesco's!
Throwing it in with the rest of my bait (maggot dead and alive, worm, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, the mussels, cheese paste, pellets!) I was down to this as the only untried bait!
With difficulty I hooked on a piece of the chicken (whiter and firmer than the Turkey, but outnumbered by some 15 to 1!)
Casting out, I quickly had a bite and soon was swinging in this small Tench

Datafile.jpg

And then another Tench, which was around 2 and lbs.

Datafile.jpg

Mark was also catching consistently, the smaller Perch, Skimmers etc., so perhaps it was the Moon time rather than the bait change!

Dusk came and with it the rain! A boring monotonous drizzle that soaked everything within seconds!
However, the fish continued biting and I was suddenly into one that did fight well!
When I landed it, I was pleased to see a much better Tench!

Datafile.jpg
But, unfortunately, it still only turned the Scales at 3 lbs 8 ozs!
Mark was leaving at midnight, whilst I resolved to pack up as soon as the rain stopped, as all my kit was dry under my umbrella!
I hate taking wet kit home!
Then, just as midnight approached, the float went and I was in to a much better fish.
This one did strip line from the clutch, but I was able to guide it around in circles until it eventually weakened and came to the net.
The scales showed 10 lb 3 ozs, then 4ozs, but when settled came to rest at 9lb 14!
Close, but no double this year yet!

Datafile.jpg

Mark left at about 12.25 and I accompanied him to the car, to put on my full waterproof Pyjamas and await the rain ceasing.
It slowed whilst we said farewells and I hoped that it was all over!

On returning to the peg, I cast out and thought how peaceful it was (apart from the Planes!) and how I enjoyed just having a small beta light insert on the float!

Datafile.jpg

Then a series of frustrating bites!
The float would so slowly bob up and down! Never disappearing, but moving tantalisingly side-to-side and then up and down.
Then vanish at the speed of light!
Strike and no resistance! (Usually a tangle due to the strike!)
Hookbait gone, weed on the hook, but no fish!

I suffered 10 or a dozen of these, adjusted the tell-tale bottom shot ever closer to the hook, rechecked the depth and then, just before 2.00 am, I got it right!
This time the float slid away, I struck and a scream from the clutch told me this was the best yet.
For some 20 minutes, the fish ran this way and that.
I could lay my hand on the revolving clutch, slow it, turn it, but I could not bring it to the surface.
However, by playing it carefully, I finally won the day and netted this mirror.
(Almost a leather, apart from the tail scales)
Datafile.jpg

Excuse the picture! It rained heavily all the while I played the fish and I was fearful of the Camera.
Certainly no time to try self-portraits with wet hands!
13lbs exactly the scales said, so a new seasonal PB (22 is my best ever) and a really good mixed bag of fish.
This moon thing seems to be worth pursuing!

After returning the fish, I slumped exhaustedly, damp, cold and tired, beneath my umbrella on the ground!
An inch of water stood in my chair as the rain fell onto it unheedingly, whilst I played the fish!
My kit, bait etc. was still relatively dry under the umbrella, but everything else was saturated.
Including the 2 towels I had with me!
Only a Roll-your-Own Smoker will have experienced the frustration and depression over trying to make a cigarette with wet hands!
Eventually, succeeding after a fashion, I smoked and rested and mused over the events of the day.
Nice fishing, nice weights and great Company!
If only this damned rain in August would cease!

Returning to the float and now low on Cat meat, I could not now buy a bite!
It was though I had miraculously moved lakes, or sped through time to a different place as the float remained obstinately still.
Perhaps the long period of disturbance had driven all the fish from my swim? Or the moon?

I dozed, Dawn came and with it 2 more Anglers despite the rain!
No one could get a bite, until at 7.30 my float disappeared and I was into another powerful fish!
However, within a minute, the hook pulled and taking this as an omen that my good day was definitely over and that the rain may NEVER stop again, I packed away my wet gear and made ready to leave for home!

Why! It was 8.30 am and in just 21 and hours, I was due to meet the guys for the weekend Soar Fish-in.
The rain fell relentlessly as I drove away

And a Plane roared overhead
Datafile.jpg

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 19 August 2002 05:35:07 AM

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Nice Report as usual Trev with some nice fish, well done on the double nice looking fish.

Dont think of it as August rain think of it more like liquid sunshine it dont seem as wet then lol

Dai Fish

MALC

Nice read Trev and some nice fish as well.

Know what you mean with the rollups and wet hands,
5 papers and you still end up with only a half smokable fag.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

norm

NICE ONE TREV
but i think it is time you give up that secret baiticon_smile_wink.gif
WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Trev,

Good read mate,

Well done on the PB for the season.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Since I posted this, I have bought Go-Kat Chicken from Spar!

It's nothing like the Chicken and Turkey chunks!

Does anyone know if Tescos still offer Go-Kat Chicken and Turkey chunks?
Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.