Did I Overreact?

JayD

Site Supporter
If I'd had a heated argument with a stranger, and coincidently shortly after, my burglar alarm stopped working properly, and I had to disconnect it....well!

:whistle:;):LOL:

John.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Mr Nene, changing the subject a bit, would you not have fared better with a rod and waggler? As I see it when things get slow
the last thing a water needs is a pole being waved about.

Few years back I needed to speak to an angler, he was fishing a club match on the river Beult at a place called Hawkenbury, this
river is slow moving and on the day quite clear. I sat well back from him as we spoke but I can`t think why his pole was almost
touching the opposite bank, every angler {fifteen if I remember correctly} was using a pole, every fish in the stretch must have
been spooked! Not having a dig at pole anglers but from what I observe many have become slaves to this method.

TRFC2000

Site Supporter
No you didn't over react although I would of been a bit more polite about it lols 😆

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
You didn’t over react. I would have been a bit more stearn in my reply. As an angler , he should have known better, especially with a pushbike. If he had broken your pole, what then. If it was an older model and you can’t get spares for it, it would mean buying a new one.

piscatorial

I had an altercation with another angler once.
We had just packed up after a match making our way back to our cars. My trolleys straps had broken, so I secured my kit as best I could, though it was still wobbly anf falling off even travelling over flat ground.
I came to an angler who was fishing the margins, he had around 12M of pole back behind him.
I asked if he could pull his pole in while so I could get passed.
He gave me a right old mouthful saying theres at least 3 feet of bank behind his pole so walk around it.
I explained the situation with my trolley and the the 3 feet of bank being on a good 30-40 degree slope, and that I'll try and get passed, but if it all goes tits up you've only yourself to blame if I cause any damage.
After another mouthful of abuse he moved his pole, I got by, took all of 5 seconds.

Also remember a mate of mine who had his pole smashed laying on the floor behind him. There was a grass verge about 12 feet wide between our pool and the next one. Some guy drove along the verge and smashed his last 2 sections. After a few words, guy just said sorry, and drove off. My mate was not impressed.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Mr Nene, changing the subject a bit, would you not have fared better with a rod and waggler? As I see it when things get slow
the last thing a water needs is a pole being waved about.

Few years back I needed to speak to an angler, he was fishing a club match on the river Beult at a place called Hawkenbury, this
river is slow moving and on the day quite clear. I sat well back from him as we spoke but I can`t think why his pole was almost
touching the opposite bank, every angler {fifteen if I remember correctly} was using a pole, every fish in the stretch must have
been spooked! Not having a dig at pole anglers but from what I observe many have become slaves to this method.
Two guys fishing a couple of pegs away on waggler did worse than me.

I did try the feeder but no joy.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Should have got your pole out of the way Neil, if it is a public right of way you are causing an obstruction.
I know how annoying it can be to give way and move but it is your expensive kit that will get broken. I have all but given up fishing in public places due to incidents like this which is a great shame.
No you were not over the top when the guy was an angler himself and should have shown a bit more sense and offered to wait for you to ship out.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Based on what was said - biker maybe showed a lack of patience.
Neil comes across as probably lecturing the chap so hardly surprising he reacted

This is a bit of a giveaway though
"Neil, I was further up from you in a match (about 100 yards) and i heard the conversation."
That's a fair distance so it seems a bit of aggression was on display.

IMO - both in the wrong and should be banned :ROFLMAO:

JLK

I think you did the right thing regardless.
Don't ever let anyone walk over your pole. It's an accident waiting to happen.
I had the same thing happen to me on a canal when I was in my mid twenties fishing a match but wasn't as lucky.
A cyclist come along while I was shipping back with a fish on.
I asked him nicely if he wouldn't mind giving me a couple of minutes until I broke down to the top kit and moved the pole around.
This arrogant so and so wouldn't wait, said no and drove straight through the 6th section of my then dam futron.
I was stunned. If it wasn't for the chap on the next peg who grabbed hold of him he would have been off.
Thankfully I did actually get paid out from his house insurance after the chap on the next peg made sure the cyclist gave his home address and landline telephone number to me 😗 which was checked as being correct by one of the other lads on the match who had a mobile phone. He rung the number he gave and the cyclists wife answered confirming the details he had kindly given. 👍🏻😉.
He was then let go to go on his way.
Bet he never did that again that's for sure.

John Step

Site Supporter
Should have got your pole out of the way Neil, if it is a public right of way you are causing an obstruction.
I know how annoying it can be to give way and move but it is your expensive kit that will get broken. I have all but given up fishing in public places due to incidents like this which is a great shame.
No you were not over the top when the guy was an angler himself and should have shown a bit more sense and offered to wait for you to ship out.
He said it was a club lake with no public right of way.

JayD

Site Supporter
I always prefer to try a bit of tact and diplomacy first in situations like this, things can soon escalate out of control. I've found it works in the majority of cases, where as I've found aggression, is usually met with more aggression in return.

John